XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electrical problem

I have a short somewhere that is draining the battery within a few days. I know the short could be in any number of places, but based on experience any suggestions of common failure points? Just hoping to get lucky by checking areas that are known trouble spots first.
Thanks,
Mike
​​​​​​​

Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Boot light is a common problem, and one that is not easily seen.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi atrab

Please could you list some details of your Car.

Another source of Battery Drain could be the Car Alarm/Immobilizer which was also a problem on my own Car.

So you could do what I did and get yourself a Gadget called a Battery Discarnect they are all over places like ebay and Amazon for just a few dollars.

And after I had fitted one, I know my Car will Start every time that I want to use her at least as far as the Battery is concerned.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=battery+discarnect https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=battery+discarnect

Old 02-14-2017, 06:54 AM

Sorry, my signature showing my car details fails to show up. I am pretty new on forums. My car is a 1994 XJS V12 2+2 6.0 L. It is green with tan top and has 38500 miles. It was stored idle for nearly seven years, and I am getting it running. I asked for advice on that in a different thread.
Mike

Old 02-14-2017, 07:16 AM
Default Signature appears in reply, but not new thread.

What am I doing wrong? My signature seems to show up in relies, but not when starting a new thread.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

The aliens have arrived.

Fear not, GGG or Jim will spray them when the planets align better and even answer that question.

I see your sig just fine down here, and its a Full Moon tonight, oops.

No definite answer from me, other than the Imobiliser, as mentioned by OB, is a prime suspect in 98% of cases. CD stacker is a close second.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
orangeblossom (02-14-2017), ThunderRoad (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 03:01 AM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on the immobiliser battery drain issue.

Previous owner had issues with the battery going flat so purchased a new one before passing the XJS on to me.

Not too long after taking possession, found that after the car would sit for a couple of days, when I'd go to start it, click and nothing. After this happening a few other times (and purchasing a high current portable jump starter), we had tried different batteries, and the issue persisted. Thought that maybe there was too much of a current draw and the alternator wasn't generating enough juice to keep the car going and charge the battery while driving. Tried reducing that by going to LED bulbs in the tail lights, break lights, indicators, and even interior/boot lights.

Eventually started having issues where the immobiliser and alarm would cut in while driving the car, and so it had to go. Traced the wiring and pulled the hack job out of the car (must have been a cheap aftermarket system). Since then, I have had zero battery issues.

I will say though that the LED replacement bulbs certainly show a significant difference in the current draw on the voltage meter gauge, haha!