XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Facelift A-Pillar Gasket Replacement Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Default Facelift A-Pillar Gasket Replacement Suggestions?

I'm ready to pull the trigger and order replacement gaskets for the A-Pillar on my 1996 convertible. When driving in the rain, what was once an occasional drop has now become a more constant drip, and I don't need it to get any worse.

Any tips or suggestions on getting the new gasket in? I've never done anything like this before and I couldn't find any info on it...which means it's either very easy, or no one has bothered to post their troubles.

It will be part HHE5301aa on the drivers sided and whatever the one on the passengers side is.

Thank you for any help and advice in advance.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Ok, I swapped out the drivers side gasket. The effort is pretty straightforward...except for the section next to the windshield. How do I know I didn't do it correctly?

Its raining and it's soaked. It is letting water inside.

Who would I even take this to to have installed correctly?

Old 05-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you replace with a new or used seal?

Old 05-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

New. URO now makes the parts.

Very simple install, with the exception of the portion behind the windshield.

I used soap to lube up the gasket so it would easily be pushed into the channel. I used plastic tools to help push the parts in. I suppose that my hands were just small enough to be able to work the gasket in along the door hinges. You'll be working in the blind, so start on the bottom section first to get a feel for it.

I found that the soap was probably letting the gasket slip out of the channel too easily during install, so I installed that dry. You've gotta bend that part of the gasket backwards so that it squeezes into the side of the channel furthest from the windshield (closest to exterior) which is tough to get to. Once you've pushed that gasket in, you work your way up as you punch in the gasket along the windhsield, or interior side.

It'll make sense once you see it.

Oh, and the gasket separates by the door handle. It's actually two pieces as it dies into the quarterwindow, so don't bother removing the chrome piece. Start pulling from the windshield, and work your way back. When you're near the other end, you'll want to pull the gasket straight down.

Again, it'll be obvious when you look for it.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I was asking because you had mentioned it was still leaking is that correct? I know of the seals as I have a set and will install after new paint. If yours is still leaking then your glass may be off and need adjustment.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Nah, I just didn't install it properly. The give away was it was popping out of place when I closed the door with the window up. It was the troublesome area at the windscreeen.

I appreciate your help.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

I get some wind "whistle" on my drivers door and a little water leakage on the passenger side when I wash it or it rains heavily. I'd be interested in replacing the weather stripping on my car. I looked up URO but they don't list parts for XJS's prior to 92. Any other suggestions for a parts supplier? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

All of the eBay listings for the seal I purchased says 92-96?

Check with JDHT to see if the part numbers match?