XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front Fog Light Shorting Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Front Fog Light Shorting Plug

For the last three days I have been looking for the elusive shorting plug!!!
Details of my XJS... 1995.25 MY 4.0 2+2 Coupe, serial number is SAJNX5740SC199271, and build date is 1-95. I installed a set of factory front fog lights two years ago along with the correct new switches for both fog lights in one panel and the hazard/rear window heater combination on the left side of the steering column. The fog lights wiring plug pushed right into the existing wiring harness and worked when I jumped out the fog light Relay. In order to make them work at the push of the switch I must locate the shorting plug and jump out pin 1 to 4 and a diode across pin 3 to 6.

According to the diagrams the shorting plug labeled ZA-1 is an eight pin sumitomo standard black plug and is located right side of center console. The diode labeled as SPD-1 is located right side of center console in the shorting plug. Access is through the right side cheek panel. Well it is not there.

I have removed left and right knee padding covering fuse boxes, both cheek panels, the instrument panel, radio, A/C control, switches and trip computer panel, (I replaced the clock with a trip computer) console between the seats, left and right front carpet with insulation, the covers over the both seat computers, and left and right “A” post carpet. Still no shorting plug. I know there is a difference between boot and trunk, bonnet and hood, could there be a difference between left and right? There is no 8 pin black plug with 4 wires color coded as brown with black, black with red, orange with red and blue with red anywhere to be found. I have unwrapped several taped over plugs only to come up empty handed.
Boy do I need help…

The following users liked this post:
gerryxjs (07-28-2018)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 AM

In case you are wondering why I have dismantled my jag to this extent looking for the elusive “shorting plug”, hence to be known as “ESP”.Upon inspection of the plugs in the left A post there was some green corrosion visible at the joining point on two of the plugs. So in the midst of looking for my primary target the “ESP” I have been sidetracked into cleaning all the connectors, plugs, and ground points I can find. I have found several unused connector plugs during the hunt for the “ESP” none of which were the 8 pin black plug with 4 wires attached, now to be named “8PBP”.
I knew this XJS was equipped with two complete telephone harnesses which I had previously found, 4 years earlier, in the trunk (boot) and have decided to remove every trace of them while I am so deep into this search and clean operation.
I am still hopping there is someone out there who has found the “ESP” with the “8PBP”and can pass on their knowledge.

Last edited by RonaldP; 12-29-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I made the same conversion, Foglights plugged into factory harness and replacing one switch for two others. Such an odd arrangement to move the demist switch.

This was 3-4 years ago and I recall having similar difficulties initially trying to make the front fog lights work on the original rear fog light switch. I seem to feel that it all worked directly when I installed the two separate switches.

Have you made any measurements on the switches? YOu will notice that the front fogs only go on with headlights on and low beams on.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:07 PM

dsetter,
When you installed your front fog lights, did you find the "shorting plug"? If so where was it and was it a plug as described in the wiring diagrams? I have my complete wiring harness exposed, except what is behind the A/C fans.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:30 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by RonaldP
dsetter,
When you installed your front fog lights, did you find the "shorting plug"? If so where was it and was it a plug as described in the wiring diagrams? I have my complete wiring harness exposed, except what is behind the A/C fans.
I do not recall that I did find it, or that I needed to find it. I know I initially toyed with making the front lights work of the one rear switch, and then I had to add a jumper in the plug, but when I got the proper switches, it worked.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:00 PM

I have tried that, turn on the headlights and then the front fog lights with and without the ignition switch on,and still no fogs. I may wire the system as shown in diagrams bypassing all the plugs and go direct to the end points and add the diode in the correct circuit. I sure would like to find that "shorting plug".

Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Just a thought here Ron. But maybe in 1995 Jaguar had got round to making looms that only had the wires for the options fitted to the car and you don't have the correct wiring for front fogs.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 AM

The wiring harness has the properly wired plug for the switches, the fog light relay and fuse were installed, and the forward harness to the fog lights themselves were there. I jumped the relay power feed to the lights as if the relay had closed and the lights worked fine. So all else was installed but I can't find the shorting plug. This is driving me crazy...but it is a short drive...

Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
RonaldP (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 AM

Thank you very much, I just purchased it. Now I need to know where it plugs in to the harness. I think I will look into making some of these to provide to my fellow XJSers.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Look behind the fog light relay, above the left fuse panel. Or here in the front of the car.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-5-3-6-0-litre

Last edited by malc4d; 09-27-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:38 PM

on the 95 4.0 the fog light relay is under the hood left front component panel in the # 3 slot from the front. The location for the shorting plug connector is right side of center console. I still have all my panels open under the dash, so I need to make time and dive back into this.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

We did it on my friend's car recently.

Fog light relay

Shorting plug connector

A switch was purchased and installed instead of a stub A switch was purchased and installed instead of a stub. The wires are inserted into the empty slot

Orange red and red orange wires pulled out of the connector

and inserted into the other two pins

Next, a wire extender and jumpers are made. One jumper with a diode.

bridges with heat shrinkage. We did not find the eight-pin Sumitomo

inserted an extension

Dragged loose wires (white arrow) I do not know what these wires are for. Orange-red and red-orange is extension there.(Red arrow)

jumpers inserted. It is important to insert it correctly with a diode.

thermal shrinkage on strange wires

Voilà everything works.

RonaldP (10-11-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 01:01 PM

I want to thank everyone who helped and offered information. I have my front fog lights working as they should. A special thanks to malc4d for the eBay link to a shorting plug which I purchased it as soon as I saw it. Thanks to xjsv12 for the pictures and the correct location of where the plug went. It was not where any of the wiring diagrams said it was suppose to be. This has been a 3.5 year project (off and on) to get this exactly as it would have come from Jaguar.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

I want to thank everyone who helped and offered information. I have my front fog lights working as they should. A special thanks to malc4d for the eBay link to a shorting plug which I purchased it as soon as I saw it. Thanks to xjsv12 for the pictures and the correct location of where the plug went. It was not where any of the wiring diagrams said it was suppose to be. This has been a 3.5 year project (off and on) to get this exactly as it would have come from Jaguar.
I didn't read the complete post but it looks like you are trying to activate factory Front Fogs on a car that did not have the option when you got it. If so I would like to do the same. Funny how the rear fogs are standard but not the front. Will need a source for the shorting plug and proper fog lights themselves. Anything else needed that was not part of the pre-wire for the front fogs?
Thanks

Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 PM

I purchased the two switches from Jaguar, the two fog lights with mounting brackets for $75.00, the shorting plug for $20.00 the plastic fog light covers for $30.00 and all the wiring relays and fuses were already installed. I would go for the shorting plug while you can and check with Jaguar for the two switch packs. You only need to remove the current switch sets and plug in the new ones. The harness has the wiring for both switches. I have a set of front fog lights for an earlier model but I am not sure what year. The plug and mounting bracket are different than the facelift cars.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 AM

I purchased the two switches from Jaguar, the two fog lights with mounting brackets for $75.00, the shorting plug for $20.00 the plastic fog light covers for $30.00 and all the wiring relays and fuses were already installed. I would go for the shorting plug while you can and check with Jaguar for the two switch packs. You only need to remove the current switch sets and plug in the new ones. The harness has the wiring for both switches. I have a set of front fog lights for an earlier model but I am not sure what year. The plug and mounting bracket are different than the facelift cars.
So, you are talking about a "bracket" and "Fog Light Covers". What this sounds like is that you think I have a Pre-Facelift car where the Fogs are mounted separately under the earlier bumper design. I have a 95 so it would have the Facelift larger molded bumper where the fog lights would be integral and shaped to fit the same shape cavities on either side of the opening . Also, if the rear defogger and rear fog light switch are already mounted on the left side of the clock, where would the front fog light switch be mounted. if the option were installed from factory?
Thanks

Old 01-18-2018, 03:11 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

The fog lights were never integral on any XJ-S/XJS. I posted in the past that it seemed there were spaces where contour fitting lights could have been used as on the XJ6, but that was just an observation on my part. XJS factory fog lights were always the rectangular bumper-mounted units.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Benj628
The fog lights were never integral on any XJ-S/XJS. I posted in the past that it seemed there were spaces where contour fitting lights could have been used as on the XJ6, but that was just an observation on my part. XJS factory fog lights were always the rectangular bumper-mounted units.
If that is true, I couldn't imagine where and how external fogs would be mounted to a Post facelift molded bumper car.
I borrowed this pic from a poster to show his car showing the fogs mounted to the places that look factory. Is this where they should be. Are you saying that Facelift cars never had factory fogs?

Quick Reply: Front Fog Light Shorting Plug