XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front shocks maybe wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Front shocks maybe wrong

A few years ago I was asking about front shocks for 90 xjs and I was told here on the forum that a Ford shock would work I don't remember the Ford model but it was a small car. I bought the shocks and I am now thinking that the Jag is to heavy for those shocks and could be why my front wheels are out at bottom and in at the top as I stated in a different thread ??

Old 11-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by macdoesit
I bought the shocks and I am now thinking that the Jag is to heavy for those shocks and could be why my front wheels are out at bottom and in at the top as I stated in a different thread ??

What you're describing is 'negative camber'....which, in and of itself, is normal and typical. On all of my Jags the negative camber has been visible to the naked eye if I really looked...and still within factory spec.

Of course it's possible to have too much negative camber, verifiable by having the alignment checked. If excessive you'd typically expect the cause to be incorrect adjustment, or suspension wear, or something bent/damaged....but not shocks.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A couple of thoughts:

1. It might have been me ! But, not the shock absorbers, aka "dampeners". Merely, the rubber pieces that fit on top of the shaft and isolate the "shock" from the chassis. I did find a set in bubble wrap marked for Ford, that fit just right.

2. If indeed, you found a set of dampeners intended for a Ford with a top mount and lower mount that fit, the overall length might be short and hold your Jaguar in a "squat" and thus seen as maximum camber??? A huge leap, in my opinion.

A parts search might clarify....

Carl

Old 11-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Shock itself won't effect camber. I would check the lower and upper control arm bushings. These are the only components that will effect camber.

As for the shock itself, there are many applications that use a pin at the top and a eye at the bottom so I'm not surprised you found a Ford shook that fits. Generally speaking xjs shocks are well damped and on the stiff side. Probably necessary for the heft over the nose.

For 6cyl, modified cars with modern performance low profile tires and for those converts with reduced weight a less stiff shock may improve ride quality greatly. Case in point I found an old Mercedes w126 300SD Bilstein around...it's considerably less stiff when compared to XJS Bilstein shock and it's almost the exact same length. I thought my old 300SD rode fine and was sufficiently damped so I might try the w126 Shock on a xjc cruiser I'm building.

Last edited by icsamerica; 11-18-2017 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
macdoesit (11-19-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

I want to put the correct front shocks on, where do I get them?

Old 11-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

1. SNG Barrett, advertises here.

2. Rockauto.

3.Your local NAPA parts "emporium".

4. Or local Autozone.

Correct in "shocks" is similar to that in oil or tires!!!

Carl

macdoesit (11-19-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 05:59 PM
Banned

I took the passenger shock off and the hole on top where shock rod goes thru is worn almost twice the size as it should be, can I put a large washer in place top and underneath or maybe weld a washer on?

Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by macdoesit
I took the passenger shock off and the hole on top where shock rod goes thru is worn almost twice the size as it should be, can I put a large washer in place top and underneath or maybe weld a washer on?
l haven't had that problem on an xjs but did strike it on one of my xj12's. I drilled and tapped a pair of suitable size large heavy washers and fitted them, one part above and one below the inner wing as a form of splint. It worked well and still fitted and functioning today.

macdoesit (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Anyone tried Sachs shocks? I just bought a pair from Rock Auto for $40 each, which seems like a bargain. Haven't fitted them yet.

I tried Bilsteins on the front of my previous XJS V12, and they were a great match. The trouble is, for the rear, they get a bit spendy. Qty of 4 @ $90 each!

macdoesit (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by baxtor
l haven't had that problem on an xjs but did strike it on one of my xj12's. I drilled and tapped a pair of suitable size large heavy washers and fitted them, one part above and one below the inner wing as a form of splint. It worked well and still fitted and functioning today.
Exactly what I was thinking, you explained it better.Glad to know it will work. Thank you

Old 11-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JagCad
A couple of thoughts:

1. It might have been me ! But, not the shock absorbers, aka "dampeners". Merely, the rubber pieces that fit on top of the shaft and isolate the "shock" from the chassis. I did find a set in bubble wrap marked for Ford, that fit just right.

2. If indeed, you found a set of dampeners intended for a Ford with a top mount and lower mount that fit, the overall length might be short and hold your Jaguar in a "squat" and thus seen as maximum camber??? A huge leap, in my opinion.

A parts search might clarify....

Carl
I went back found the old post, it was about the shock bushings and they were from a Ford, I think comet or fairlane.