XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front suspension bushings, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 AM
CHS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front suspension bushings, etc...

Newbie question here, My left side inner tie rod is leaking and so I am going to change both inner and outer tie rods on both sides this weekend. I have previously replaced the shocks and shock bushings but I am wondering what else there is to change as far as rubber bits goes on the front suspension? I'd like to do it all while I am working on it since I have no idea if they've ever been addressed and I want to make sure I order all the parts ahead of time. I have sway bar bushings on hand. Is there anything else? thanks

Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 10,352 Likes on 6,849 Posts

The leaking via the inner tie rods is from the steering rack itself. Mostly contained by the bellows on each end.

The inner tie rods rarely wear, and I have never replaced them in any of my Jags.

I have, however, replaced a few rack assemblies, which come with Inner Tie Rods and bellows.

Other rubber bushing for the front end are:

1) Inner lower wishbone bushes, Metalastic ONLY here, and a PITA to replace, as the springs need to come out, as does the steering rack, and the engine raised, or cradle removed from the car. The latter is my method.
2) Upper inner wishbone bushes, Metalastic again, and simple to do.
3) Sway bar "D" mount rubbers. PITA, as the radiator needs to be raised/removed for half decent access.
4) Cradle mounts = 2X Large round at the front, 2 x "V" mounts at the rear. HUGE job also.
5) Rack mounts. I use the Poly kit here, as the oil leakage will not rot them out.
6) Engine mounts, Genuine only.
7) Sway bar link rubbers. 8 per car, and Genuine if still available.

#8 is a should do whilst you are getting into the hard stuff. The transmission mount bushing, commonly known as the "Cotton Reel Bush". Big task, fiddly, time consuming, and painful if you do not pay attention.

The following users liked this post:
CHS (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:02 AM
CHS

Thank you Grant, this appears to be more of a job than I envisioned, i'll do some more research as to what I'll need here, but it doesn't sound like something I'll knock out in a weekend. I really appreciate the good information

Grant Francis (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 824 Likes on 519 Posts
CHS (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:32 AM
CHS

Mac, that's awesome, thanks! This will likely be one of those mission creep projects. The car has an exhaust leak at the right side manifold and if I am going to be raising the engine to replace bushings I'll likely try to do the exhaust issue, the rack, and the bushings all at once. It should be....interesting.