XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Heater core gaskets no longer available

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core gaskets no longer available

First a hello to fellow Jag"ers". I just entered the Jag arena with the purchase of a 1989 XJS coupe. Been through the purchase of a classic in need of restoring many times. Had heard that parts acquisition would be more challenging with a Jag and I've come across that "little' inconvenience already.
Steamed windows on the drivers side, tried to explain it away as a little moisture that got in, but that self white lie isnt working out very well. Purchased a replacement core. Have heard that the orings are not the way to go and started looking for the Jag gaskets part # JLM759. They are no longer avail at least in the States.
Now my question is are these just paper type gaskets, sorta like a thermostat gasket in many cars? Or are they rubber? I see no reason why I couldnt cut out a couple of gaskets from sheet stock. Just want to get it right with the right material.

This forum just may become very familiar to me as I make my way down the to do list for the Jag. Hopefully in short time I can contribute back from my hard earned trials and tribulations.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

When time permits, please do an intro in the "New Members Area".

I have not replaced a core on the MK3 system, as o/rings usually sorts them.

That gasket looks like it is the seal for the end cover of the heater box. That being the case it would be easily made from whatever is in the workshop, maybe an "Insertion Rubber", or Hi-Density foam. It is only an "air seal" by the look of the parts drawing, and memory.

#4 in the attached parts book copy.

Heater core gaskets no longer available-delinair-mk3-drawing.png

Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 PM

Thank you for the reply Grant. In this case that seal is actually for the inlet and outlet for the heated water coming from the engine bay. Here is an image of the heater core. Pictured with it are the orings that come with them but prior experience by many suggests not to use those but use the gaskets instead.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:49 PM

MY BAD, eyes are not what they were. Misread that drawing.

I have only done 2, and used generic o/rings in both cases without any issues.

If the gaskets are what you want to use then any decent gasket material suitable for coolant would be more than sufficient.

A tad more simple on our RHD cars than the LHD sisters.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 PM

Now I had to think about that for a minute, this assertion that its easier to r&r the heater core if its righty versus a lefty. Is it an Aussie pulling the wool over my eyes, arent each version just a mirror image of the other? or could there be truth to these words?
Well, irregardless I'm falling for the left handed sister.
Thank you Grant for the advice. I think Ill have both the orings and gasket material and once getting her opened up, see what seems best, good to know that orings can do the trick.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Ive done this and the XJ40 O rings fit, don't know the part number but any Jag parts supplier should be able to help.

According to the ROM the heater core is the same with outlet/inlet on the LHS

Old 03-25-2016, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by jaggedone
Now I had to think about that for a minute, this assertion that its easier to r&r the heater core if its righty versus a lefty. Is it an Aussie pulling the wool over my eyes, arent each version just a mirror image of the other? or could there be truth to these words?
Well, irregardless I'm falling for the left handed sister.
Thank you Grant for the advice. I think Ill have both the orings and gasket material and once getting her opened up, see what seems best, good to know that orings can do the trick.
Would I do that???????

RHD only has a glovebox in the way.

LHD has a steering column etc etc, and then that wheel crushes your chest when you try and squeeze that bit closer to the workings.