need info to fix problem
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

help !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help !!

hi.....my name is ralph, i am from connecticut, i have a problem with my 1995 xjs 4 liter, it all started about a few months ago i had trouble with my fuel pump cutting out on a sudden stops at red lights at about only 25-35 mph.i depressed the first inertia switch which is located on the pass, side of the kick panel..it started but a few weeks later it happened again, while working to replace a new air filter i i lifted out the container it touched one of my relays the cause a spark, i believe it to be the fuel pump relay, beccause the car would only kick over for a few seconds and then shut off, i tryed it a few times same thing, i replaced the relay with a new one, no change, could i have burnt out my fuel pump or its leeds out, will try to do some testing on it today, thank you for any help.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to post this in the sub forum that relates more to your car to get the specific answer you are looking for, and welcome!~

Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome jag95

Old 03-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Always a tip, in your title give some indication of what kind of help you need...trust me, it helps.

Moved your thread to the appropriate section.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

ralph:
Welcome. Lets try and sort this out. First, it is unlikely you "burnt out my fuel pump or its leeds out" by shorting something in the engine bay. Thats because current flows from the source to the load, and the engine bay would be on the source side of this circuit. You were not specific as to where the sparks came from. That would help A LOT. It is also much mor elikely that you blew a fuse than that you burnt something up. You know there are five main fuse boxes on you rcar right? Both sides of the engine, both rear seat panels, and the trunk. Without knowing what sparked, I would test all the fuses .

Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
ralph:
Welcome. Lets try and sort this out. First, it is unlikely you "burnt out my fuel pump or its leeds out" by shorting something in the engine bay. Thats because current flows from the source to the load, and the engine bay would be on the source side of this circuit. You were not specific as to where the sparks came from. That would help A LOT. It is also much mor elikely that you blew a fuse than that you burnt something up. You know there are five main fuse boxes on you rcar right? Both sides of the engine, both rear seat panels, and the trunk. Without knowing what sparked, I would test all the fuses .
hi sparkenzap..........it was the fuel pump relay that sparked,......i will check all my fuses, thank you,

Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Default help.......

it was the fuel pump relay that sparked........i will check all fuses, thank you

Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 AM

hi, sparkenzap............checked all fuses . aare good, thanks again

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sparked a short in the fuel system on my 96 XJS 2+2 (4.0 liter) and traced the inoperative fuel pump issue to the fuel pump fuse. The fuse is in the fuse box in the right side (passinger) trunk panel. You have to take back the trunk side panel to get to it. I changed the burnt fuse and took care of the problem.