XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help! XJSC that has been sitting in storage?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! XJSC that has been sitting in storage?

Hey guys. I'm not really good at trying to find stuff on these forums so hopefully someone can give me some advice or point me in the right area to where I can find some answers. I have an 88 XJSC that was given to me from a family member that passed away and it's been in storage for about 5-6 years so I would like to take it out and get it to a shop to get looked at so I can start driving it this summer. I know nothing about these cars.

I need to buy a battery for it but I was also wondering what kind of coolant it takes? I remember the last time it was started years ago it had a rough idle at first until it ran for a little and then it was fine. But the coolant light or the temperature light was red on the dash. I just want to make sure I have oil and coolant in it so I can atleast get it to the shop to have it looked at.

It's a V12 engine.. do you have to use 91 or 93 gas? Or can you just use regular 87?

Does anyone have any advice for me or any input that might help? Anything is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

For a great start click on the 'how to' quick links at the top of the thread section and read the XJS handbook by Kirby Palm

secondly 1/3 way down the thread screen on the right there is button marked 'search'

click on it type in 'coolant' or 'fuel' or whatever and you're away. I'm a first time XJS owner and the site is my far the best collection of wisdom expertise you can get, the collective wisdom on here exceeds anything you'll get elsewhere including a mechanics shop!

enjoy your XJSC they're very pretty.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dave1109971:
Coop613 (06-04-2015), Gunner01 (06-08-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,743 Likes on 7,098 Posts

Originally Posted by Coop613
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hey guys. I'm not really good at trying to find stuff on these forums so hopefully someone can give me some advice or point me in the right area to where I can find some answers. I have an 88 XJSC that was given to me from a family member that passed away and it's been in storage for about 5-6 years so I would like to take it out and get it to a shop to get looked at so I can start driving it this summer. I know nothing about these cars.

These are quirky cars. Fabulous, but quirky. Sitting in storage doesn't help them one bit, I'm sorry to say. I can virtually promise that quite a bit of work will be needed to make it safe and roadworthy.

A repair shop familiar with Jag V12s would be helpful....if you can find one

I was also wondering what kind of coolant it takes? I remember the last time it was started years ago it had a rough idle at first until it ran for a little and then it was fine. But the coolant light or the temperature light was red on the dash. I just want to make sure I have oil and coolant in it so I can atleast get it to the shop to have it looked at

Ordinary old fashioned green coolant.

If it is very low on coolant you'll want to bleed the system before driving. There's a procedure for that.

How far to away is the repair shop?

do you have to use 91 or 93 gas? Or can you just use regular 87?

92 octane

Does anyone have any advice for me or any input that might help?

Heh heh....you'll need to narrow things down. Some of us have spent *years* learning about these cars so 'advice' might take up a couple pages !

Actually, although you already own the car it might serve you well to read the buyers guide. It's in one of the sticky topics at the top of this section. It'll give you some insight on what you might be in for.

The advice about reading Kirby's book is great, as it is a wonderful resource....but it's 600 pages and intended for a pretty heavily involved DIYer.

Anything is appreciated! Thanks!
These are owner involvement (or deep pocket...or both) cars. The typical scenario is to spend a few weeks and few thousand dollars getting everything up-to-snuff so that you can reliably enjoy the car....and then some tinkering from time-to-time after that.

If yours is typical, it likely needed a fair bit of work *before* it was put into storage. Almost all of 'em do. That work still needs to be done....plus a lot of 're-commissioning' work as a result of sitting unused for so long. Fluids, fuel hoses (important!), filters, tires, likely a rusted out fuel tank and brake system.

For most of us the end result is well worth the money, effort, and time. A sorted-out XJS is a joy. An un-sorted one is an unforgiving bitch.

Not trying to burst bubbles but there's no point in sugar-coating the situation.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Coop613 (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 11:01 PM

Thank you both. Unfortunately I don't know of a shop in my area that is really familiar with these cars but I have a shop thats only 2 miles away where I know the people that work there. So atleast it's close and I do trust the people doing the work.

I know it will be worth it in the end because the car means alot to me, it just stinks that it may cost me a fortune to get it ready to drive. I gotta start somewhere so atleast I'll have it looked at to see what the damage is.

The car is absolutely beautiful though!

The following users liked this post:
Dave1109971 (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 12:46 AM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

pictures! and you have to give her a name.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM

Don't start it until you 'empty the fuel tank' and replace filters and new fuel. A tank that sat that long needs cleaning before you clogg everyting up...It happened to me. Couldn't wait...my '93 XJS convertible had been sitting for 4 yrs. and I knew better but she started right up and ran fine for a while...then...sput-sput-sput...and now I'm removing the fuel tank and doing what I should have done before I started the car...

Old 06-07-2015, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Klarion
Don't start it until you 'empty the fuel tank' and replace filters and new fuel. A tank that sat that long needs cleaning before you clogg everyting up...It happened to me. Couldn't wait...my '93 XJS convertible had been sitting for 4 yrs. and I knew better but she started right up and ran fine for a while...then...sput-sput-sput...and now I'm removing the fuel tank and doing what I should have done before I started the car...

What's all involved in that? Just removing the tank and emptying the fuel?

She didn't have a lot of gas in her but it didn't smell bad at all. She actually started right up today! Added some coolant and a little bit of oil for now until I can get her to the shop and get an oil change and get the other fluids changed. Everything sounded good. The air filters are clean. Oil looked good. It was a great day!

Old 06-08-2015, 12:02 PM

You may be very fortunate. Mine just started right up also until...ran great...big smile then, bad gas and whatever clogged the 'in tank' filter and/or the main filter and she sputtered to a stop. When left to sit, It will start right up for about 30 seconds until things go bad again. I'd let it run quite a while before taking it on the road...

Coop613..."What's all involved in that? Just removing the tank and emptying the fuel?"...
You see it all over these posts...this job is a PIA and I second that...

Old 06-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default it's alive

ok yes there are problems with starting a car that sat. But mine has sat since 02 and this year I thought I ,might sell it or drive it went out new battery and she came to life fuel gauge didn't work well but when I parked this one I filled it with fuel to the neck. so here is a list of things so far an oil change a oil sending unit , antenna don't go up, fuel sending unit not right , and seals in the rack and pinion . so far not to bad the gas was bad so not her usual pick up ran that through and added 93 to her seems to be good. Now I know that will not be the end but not to bad for sitting up dang near 15 years.