XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Home Made XJS V12 Hood/Bonnet Strut Lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
i dont understand. I thought we acknowledge here that your struts were old and needed replacing. Noone suggested the right struts last a lifetime. I was suggesting that for 20-30 bucks you can just put the proper struts on it and not worry about it for 5 years
I've got newer Struts on my other Cars (that are not self locking) but the one thing you can't plan for, is an unexpected 'gust of wind' that can have that heavy bonnet/hood suddenly crash down.

My 'Strut Lock' cost me nothing to make and gives me extra piece of mind when working under the bonnet/hood, so I don't really see why anyone would have a problem with that.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by M90power
i really dont agree with this line of thinking. Struts are not a necessity, and to simply make a permanent fix to a frequently reoccurring problem for next to no money is a perfect example of wrenching at its finest.
especially when you take into account the sheer weight of the V12 bonnet? the thing has its own gravitational field. my bonnet struts work, but if the wind blew in on a whim and slammed my hood down on whatever i happened to be working on (assuming i was out of harms way) there would be huge amounts of bonnet and fender damage, not to mention whatever i was working on (fuel rail for example) would probably be smashed to bits.

speaking of my properly working struts, i have them disconnected for this very reason. i use a proper steel prop rod. problem solved.
I'm glad that someone seems to agree.

Half the fun of having a 'Classic' is making up a 'mod' to solve a problem.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rgp
I went down Bernard ebdons route and purchased a ready made lift lock from the states very cheap (about £12 inc carriage to the uk
I never even knew such things existed but the fact they do is indicating other owners may have come across a similar problem, for which they can now buy a fix.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

found this on ebay but they want a silly $53 postage, if I remember correctly I had it sent to a friend in Massachusetts and had them forward it on usp, it weighs very little,
8200 Pylon Lift Lock | eBay

Last edited by rgp; 05-07-2014 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rgp
found this on ebay but they want a silly $53 postage, if I remember correctly I had it sent to a friend in Massachusettsand had them forward it on usp, it weighs very little,
8200 Pylon Lift Lock | eBay
Many Thanks

For sending that on but unfortunately no image to see what it looks like.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Boy RGP, that garage door looks very close........Love those British garages. Still made to this day, to take a car the size of a peanut......

Last edited by malc4d; 05-07-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
Boy RGP, that garage door looks very close........Love those British garages. Still made to this day, to take a car the size of a peanut......
lol

it just fits in length ways if the rear rubber is just on the back wall and its deceiving as i can get past between the car and the door (just)

Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Many Thanks

For sending that on but unfortunately no image to see what it looks like.

this is a Google picture of the pylon lift lock 8200

Attached Thumbnails Home Made XJS V12 Hood/Bonnet Strut Lock-2450756.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I'm glad that someone seems to agree.

Half the fun of having a 'Classic' is making up a 'mod' to solve a problem.
I'm glad someone mentioned berny. THIS is why I mention "why not fix it" instead of making something up.

Everything on his huge website WORKS. but its HORRIBLE. I would be utterly embarrassed to open the hood of a jag and show everyone my soldered copper piping because someone told me it works better than rubber hoses since it won't rot.

There are tons of ghetto things you can do to a car that work, but they all slowly chip away at what makes the car great. You won't see it as you do it to your own, but jump in a fully ghetto modded car and you can tell something is terribly wrong (ask me how i know).

My A pillar trim won't stay up and i can't afford a brand new one (student). So I will wait, rather than put machine screws through it (that would work!) because its not the proper way to repair a car and not something I can be proud of.

I know you argument is that it is an extra safety and your hood shocks (I think?) are still normal working ones, but I don't see the point. I have cheap struts and work on my car all the time and it has never come down. I have worked on my car with very strong gusts of wind (and rain ) and never had any issues before. Maybe buy some uprated ones.

Cleanly adding electric fans to look stock and better cool your cat is modding, a hood prop is a bandaid.

If your lock is just something you pop down in addition to the struts and looks good (unlike anything berny has ever made) then I don't have a problem with that. But your "homemade strut lock" thread and most posts don't suggest that you just want an extra safety mechanism, but rather that the struts don't work and never will. This isn't remotely true and I am strongly opposed to the type of people that feel the know better than mechanical engineers because they see PVC as a good medium for cold air intakes.

So the reason I immediately make a thing out of it is because I cant stand to see someone treat an XJS like a vw beetle. Im not accusing you of this necessarily, but understand that this is where i am coming from.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I'm glad someone mentioned berny. THIS is why I mention "why not fix it" instead of making something up.

I know you argument is that it is an extra safety and your hood shocks (I think?) are still normal working ones, but I don't see the point. I have cheap struts and work on my car all the time and it has never come down. I have worked on my car with very strong gusts of wind (and rain ) and never had any issues before. Maybe buy some uprated ones.

lol

if you ever have an engine support across the wings for a few weeks you would be daft to think the bonnet stays would hold and not take any precautions to stop the bonnet changing its shape on the support. I wouldn't fit any cheap struts, only jaguar struts, the last 2 lasted me 2 years, they are expensive so never again, hence the support, I have original jaguar struts that will never fail, now. for 8 quid

Last edited by rgp; 05-07-2014 at 09:49 AM.