XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Interior light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Interior light stays on

The right side interior light stays illuminated. The light is rectangular and is located to the lower right of the glove box. The left side does not illuminate. The left side could be burnt out.

I checked the door jam switches which look normal because the other lights on the both doors go On and OFF when you depress the jam switches.
The head light switch is also in the off position.

Any ideas? Also how do remove the lens. I would like to remove the bulbs to keep the battery from discharging.

Road ready. Waiting for replacement Gold Leaper

Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Just for the heck of it make sure the map light button hasn't been pressed in !

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (03-09-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Just for the heck of it make sure the map light button hasn't been pressed in !

Cheers
DD
Exactly right. When the map light button is pressed in it only turns on the passenger side light. The drivers side light only comes on when the door is opened.

All of the switches and contacs in the XJS are subject to corrosion when they go unused for any length of time. Give the button some exercise and then make sure it is on the off position. Most likely your light will go off.

Don't forget that there is a timer relay that holds the lights on for a few seconds after the doors are closed so make sure you wait a bit before you determine if the switch exercise fixed the problem.

Mark

edobernig (03-09-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Safari
Exactly right. When the map light button is pressed in it only turns on the passenger side light. The drivers side light only comes on when the door is opened.

All of the switches and contacs in the XJS are subject to corrosion when they go unused for any length of time. Give the button some exercise and then make sure it is on the off position. Most likely your light will go off.

Don't forget that there is a timer relay that holds the lights on for a few seconds after the doors are closed so make sure you wait a bit before you determine if the switch exercise fixed the problem.

Mark
Thanks guys. That was the solution. Worked the map buttons and that fixed it.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've been here.
All the interior lights stay on after I close the doors on my 1988 Jaguar XJ-S. I have to pull the fuse to turn the interior lights out in the car.

I had to take the door panel off and fix the speaker, and after I took the door panel off the interior lights would not go out, not even after 10 minutes, so I had to pull the fuse. I think it's a relay, anybody got any ideas? My car behaves as though the doors have been left wide open, I waited 30 minutes and the lights still would not go out after I closed the doors. I did find a wire assembly with four wires, two wires are coiled around each other, and whoever soldered them, did not cover the bare wire, and each set of the wires were bare in the same place, so that just moving them, they came into contact with one another. But it's stupid that they didn't come into contact with each other until I took the door panel off. Too weird ~! I did cover the wires with electrical tape. But they may be responsible for frying a relay...>>>> ???
Has anyone else had a problem with the interior lights staying on after the doors are closed?
Tomorrow I'm going back out to the garage after I look at the manual to figure out where the relay is. If it's not the interior timer relay, I'm lost for answers..
I'll steal a relay out my 87 XJ6 if I can.
I stole the window motor mount bolts from my 87 XJ6 and put them on my 88 XJ-S several days ago.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jetlag700
Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've been here.
All the interior lights stay on after I close the doors on my 1988 Jaguar XJ-S. I have to pull the fuse to turn the interior lights out in the car.

I had to take the door panel off and fix the speaker, and after I took the door panel off the interior lights would not go out, not even after 10 minutes, so I had to pull the fuse.
The door panel has a metal plate that presses the door switch when the doors are closed. Are you sure you installed the plates when you re-installed the door panels?

Mark

jetlag700 (06-07-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You're a sweetheart, that's it~! I assembled the door and closed it to see if the lights would go out and they didn't, but I didn't put the thing on that presses the door button, I was checking the lights to see if I had connected them right....thank you so much. I'm going out to the garage in a few minutes to do just that...
I'll let you know how it all turns out, thank you...great big hug!~