XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jaguar XJS check engine ff26

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJS check engine ff26

Hi all,

I have a 93 XJS with a ff26 code. The engine idles great and this only started after getting it back from the shop for the routine emissions inspection which it passed and a set of new tyres (unrelated I imagine)
I disconnected the battery to reset but it came back after a couple of restarts.

Any pointers appreciated

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

XJ40-MARK wrote:just reading through this guys and wondered if a couple of things applied to my car;

`Fuel fail 26 is . As the engine gets partly warmed up, it stumbles and sets the code. The code will clear when the trouble does, on the next restart.

Possible faults for a FF26 are :

- Low fuel pressure (plugged filter, weak pressure regulator on fuel rail, plugged system)
- Intake manifold air leak (vacuum hoses, intake manifold gasket, evap system hose rot, egr pipe rusted out, problem with air injection system (leaking valve).
- Ignition misfire, (bad plug, wires, cap, rotor)
- Purge valve stuck open (vacuum leak in evap system)
- Oxy sensor fault (not common)
- Bad maf sensor or connections.

Best to start with the ignition system : If the wires, cap, rotor are old, replace them, along with spark plugs.

The catalytic converters may eventually melt plugging the exhaust if the car is ran with the FF alarm on, so don't ignore it just because the engine runs ok.`

purge valve - where`s that?
evap system hose - where`s that?
egr pipe - where`s that?

all the ignition stuff is off my blue one and plugs are brand new, so can`t be that.
fuel rail and injectors are off blue one and are fine, but fuel pressure reg could be issue.
will check fuel filter.
if i`m correct, i have no air pump/injection.

not sure if this helps, but although the engine runs fine, it dos`nt idle as good as my blue one. revs seem to go up and down around 50 rpm and car does shudder a touch, if its in `drive`. get above 1000 rpm and car is perfect!