XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just a but of venting - how is my luck so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just a but of venting - how is my luck so bad?

This post is just to cry on a sympathetic shoulder.

So here is Grrturde: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-coupe-189325/

The only real external esthetic issue I had with her was the hood gap. Getting that taken care of was an adventure. I took it into a trusted mechanic to get it aligned when he called back and said that it needed new latches. I replaced the front hood struts when I bought the car as the original struts could no longer hold the hood up. Apparently the hood came slamming down a few too many times and bent the latches. He couldn’t find the parts but I had a hook-up. Made a call and found the latches…. except they were in Ft. Lauderdale and I called right before Irma hit as everyone was evacuating.

So two weeks later I received the latches and they were PERFECT. In perfect shape and as luck would have it and bit of overspray showed they came from a car that had the same paint job as mine (not that it matters). I turn in the car with the latches to be told, “These are great, you’ll have your car back in a day and it will be $150”.

Eight days and $600 later I finally got the car back – cables stretched, hood latch bent, etc. That happened to be what I had in my checking account but that is ok. I don’t need any money this weekend as I’m going to spend it driving around some backroads in rural Texas.
Not an hour after I pick up the car feeling pretty good as my XJ-S is now in perfect order……………..

Some @$$hole backs into it!

I stopped by a convenience store on the way home to pick up beers for the Thursday night game. The parking lot was full but someone was about to pull out. I was completely stationary waiting for that spot when someone exited the store, got into their car, started it, and backed out without looking. Caved in the passenger door but not realizing he hit something kept trying to back out and put a gash all the way down to the back where he dislodged rear bumper.

Now this 80 year old in a black mid 90’s Cadillac (that was already falling apart) called ME an @$$hole as I was holding back my true anger: “Why are you being an @$$hole, it’s just a car, it’ll get taken care of”.

I have all his info and as luck would have two of the shops in the strip mall have cameras on the parking lot and gave me footage so there is no argument on fault, but I’m not taking this to some “AutoKing”. This is going to a restoration shop. I’ve picked out the place but they have months of backlog.

I’ve had this car for a month and a half, it has spent less than a week and a half in my hands, and now I am going to have to wait another three months to really enjoy my love: Grrtrude.

-martin

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I can truely understand you mate!

My daily is a 1997 XJ8. I just got the front bumper finally resprayed and properly aligned. Nee bumper brackets. New imdicators. New sidemarkers. It was looking 'spiffing' and then a stjpid VW Crafter reveresed into the side. Wing/fender caved in, bumper brackets snapped off. Bumper smashed on floor. New foglights and co all destroyed.

I'm stuck driving a POS at the moment, which I would love to set on fire on a daily base

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
bortbox (10-14-2017), orangeblossom (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Bro

Been there and done that, my beautiful Classic Merc was Parked in a virtually empty Car Lot/Park.

I wasn't even in the Car, when some 'Old Biddy' drove into the door but just like your Guy she didn't back off, She just kept on pushing and totally $%*%$ it up!

So you've certainly got my Sympathy, as I wasn't prepared to have it fixed by some 'back street shop'

It took a year to sort it out and eventually had to threaten to go legal, unless her Insurance Company paid up.

The following users liked this post:
bortbox (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 174 Likes on 126 Posts

This is exactly why I DON'T carry a gun! I understand the "it's only a car" thing, but it's NOT only a car when someone has poured thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of sweat equity into it. I truly am afraid of what I might do if something like that were to happen.

I did install really really loud electric horns in it, thinking that if I'm fast enough those might get someones attention before something bad happens. So far so good...

Anyway, sorry about your having to go through that c**p. Hang in there...

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 10-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

That really sucks. I do my best to park in the more remote parts, but people over here are generally (generally) pretty considerate, especially of cars that look expensive. Still, I got a drive recorder that will automatically turn on and start recording if the car gets hit while parked. Not ideal, as it only faces forward, but better than nothing.

JCR's right - no one on these forums would consider their car "just a car." Wars have been fought for less.

Anyway, it's at least good to hear that this wasn't your car failing on you--she is completely innocent in this matter. So there is that....

Old 10-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I feel ya! I just finally registered my xjs yesterday. Go to drive it today... seatbelt is stuck in the retractor. Got to rip the seat out and fully break the retractor... crap