XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just buy it

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just buy it

Hi all,

I've wanted an XJ-S for a while, the sleek shape and affordable price got me hooked.

I searched for info and tips, and there's plenty of good stuff out there, but as is the nature of "my car won't start" sort of questions, it builds up a negative image of the car. Add to that there are the naysayers in the real world who say its a waste of money (usually the sort that take out a bank loan for a brand new generic blob of a car).

So I just thought I'd say something positive. I picked my 1986 XJ-S yesterday, good condition and pretty cheap. And it drives magnificently. It's been a pain having to sleep really, I've just enjoyed fanging around bendy high speed roads and cruising through the city. It is the best driving experience I have ever had, smooth and thrilling. I've had the "ooh, old cars are expensive to maintain" rubbish as well. And the "but Jags will always be in the garage". Just a tip, ask them exactly how much an old car is to maintain and they won't have a clue.

No doubt, as with any car, something may go wrong, and I'll just fix it. No big deal. Yes, the V12 sucks up fuel, I don't care because it's like driving some sort of nuclear powered turbine. I can't stop smiling when I'm behind the wheel looking at five yards of bonnet. One of the most beautiful cars ever made, and I picked up a rust free, mechanically great, interior looked after, for less than $5000 Australian.

If anyone stumbles on this in a search on XJ-S's, just buy it.

Any other good XJ-S stories?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

Your NEW, welcome to the real world, ENJOY.

I got my '85 in 1996, and it has been our everyday car up until 2 years ago, when I finally conceded that my spine pain was due to getting in and put of the beast, old age its ALL down hill, but the X300 is just fine.

We have travelled around the Australian coast road, ALL the way, twice in the XJ-S, and lots (heaps) of interstate fliers in it, NEVER been let down, and it is such a simple car to fix, when things go bugga up, but thats life.

Nothing beats gobbling up lines of cars on the Hay Plains and not a fuss from the beast at all, priceless.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Yes, after a two hour drive south of Sydney we pulled up to a pub feeling like the ants pants, then looked like a couple of prats as we almost fell out of it.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Congratulations :-). I believed all the horror stories and waited years and years before buying my first Jag. I only wish I had taken the plunge much sooner.

I had an XJS for several years and loved it.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Default 96 JAg

I have a near mint 96 XJ6 X300. You can get back to me and I 96 pics and videos you can see?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flutey, I LOVE your comments about the sceptics who dismiss buying these sort of cars!

I had all this 9 years ago when I bought my XJS. No-one I knew had done anything like this and I was completely alone in my purchasing process.

Over the years I'm sure the money I've spent maintaining it has been similar to those I know with 'generic blobs' when buying parts.

I have no regrets and congratulate you both on buying and seeing the light!!

Rocketlift

Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

This is an enthusiasts forum, so the "my car won't start", "top won't drop", "check engine light on" types of questions are expected given the interest in the cars mechanicals and penchant for self-repair.
My 96 XJS is more dependable than my old 96 Ford Explorer.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:53 PM

I've looked for my XJS for about a year till I found a solid 1991. Hot Rods and me go back a while but I wanted something more challenging and satisfying, positively got something there. Listening to DD and others in this forum is reassuring. A little maintenance goes a long way. So far brakes, front suspension, some electrical give me a little reassurance in it.

Winter here in Detroit isn't the kind of weather to go for a leisure drive, but come spring, hopefully I'll be ready.

Next I'll tackling the ignition and fuel system as DD prescribed, another challenge!!!

LUV 2 WRENCH CZMARK

Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

One piece of advice- check those fuel injection hoses throughly and often!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Flutey, good post. I've admired the XJS for 20+ years and probably should have bought one years ago. Hope to have one of my own very soon, finally.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Flutey: Congrats on your puchase. I'm a recent XJS ('94 v12 in what I would describe as near mint condition for $8,900) purchaser as well and I had the same misgivings as you. Loved the cars but all I ever heard was "you'll be sorry" and "it's soooo expensive to maintain." Being only 30 years old, working hard and having that almost unquenchable speed+power+ style+unique desire, I went ahead and took the plunge. Within a month of ownership I've had to replace the brake resevoir accumulator and have lost ignition on one bank (car is not operable and I pray that I'm only needing a new coil) -- but I have no regrets. I love the car and have had a ball learning about all its quirks and working on it myself. I spent three hours yesterday learning about the Marelli iginition and checking the distributor cap and rotor -- it was so relaxing to engross myself in the car after a long day at the office. I literally didn't think of anything else -- no work, no women, no stress (other than the Braves dropping another one to the Nats). About the only thing better than driving the car is looking at and working on it and I'm glad I've gotten to do all three. It is simply a pleasure all the way around.

And welcome to the forum, I'm sure that you, like myself, will find it to be an invalueable place when the inevitable maintenance situations (don't call them problems) occur.