XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just by the way

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Talking Just by the way

The earlier xjs's had a simple cork float to indicate when the brake fliud was low by being connected to a washer which contacted two prongs when the fliud was low. It would float up upon refilling and break the contact turning off the light, but, cork, I guess after years of being submersed in brake fluid becomes saturated and fails to float so, the light stays on. An easy fix for this is buy a bottle of wine and you must drink this first ...to....get ..the cork.Yes, sober up first but, you can cut this cork down to the correct size by first removing the original lead slug. you have to squeeze all around the bottom end of the rod the cork is attached to.This consolidates the metal as to not lose it. Then take it to a grinder or a dremel and smooth the end so the small brass washer and cork can be slid off. Cut the length of cork to size.(Hopefully you bought a bottle with the right diameter cork) and center it on the rod and push it on, careful that rod can hurt if it hit's your finger. Put the brass washer back on and crimp the end of the rod to keep the washer there as it was with the original. If the cork is not bottomed on the washer pull it down by prying down on the cork through the holes on the side of the aluminum casing with a small screwdriver. Oh... Forgot to mention, If your unit is intact the aluminum casing around the cork will be curled under at the very bottom, You must bend this edge straight to remove and replace the cork. But if your cork is bad, chances are that the bottom edge is slightly corroded away already. Once your this far, check that the cork moves up and down freely. If it sticks a little, twist it around a bit and push it up and down a lot. This may very well help it find a good spot to work well. Plug in your wires and check it out. Also. the contact prongs can be cleaned also, if necessary. Hoped This helped someone Cheers chums Bud

Last edited by buddyluv; 06-22-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Perfect timing! I was just having this problem and I am working on it as we speak! The only bottle of wine I have is the large 2 liter and I hate to let it go to waste because of a lack of cork! It's hot this evening so a replenishment of fluids as I work will only be helpful I'm sure. I have my laptop computer beside me so I can follow your directions between sips.

Just starting my 3rd glass. It took a little while to gather all the necessary tools. This doesn't look too difficult.

4th glass. Broke the grinding wheel on the dremel. Don't know why they make them so brittle? Fortunately I have a small stack of them because I broke 2 more trying to put the new one back on.

5th glass. Had to with replenish fluids due to blood loss. I inadvertently cut my finger while shaving down the crok.

6ish glas. Can't find the bloody bass rwasher? SOmebdy friggin took it...no wait, there it is. Got it brottomed down agianst the crock and crrimked it.

7? 9? sWho cars? Stupid aluminiimum casseing. Whats does knurled mean nanyway?

I kkeep turnning the stupidd cover but it wont screw on! Lefty Lucy righty tighty? I cantt remmmmerber.

ah the helll with it

Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by buddyluv
Hopefully you bought a bottle with the right diameter cork)

if not, buy bigger bottle and drink it too!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
Perfect timing! I was just having this problem and I am working on it as we speak! The only bottle of wine I have is the large 2 liter and I hate to let it go to waste because of a lack of cork! It's hot this evening so a replenishment of fluids as I work will only be helpful I'm sure. I have my laptop computer beside me so I can follow your directions between sips.

Just starting my 3rd glass. It took a little while to gather all the necessary tools. This doesn't look too difficult.

4th glass. Broke the grinding wheel on the dremel. Don't know why they make them so brittle? Fortunately I have a small stack of them because I broke 2 more trying to put the new one back on.

5th glass. Had to with replenish fluids due to blood loss. I inadvertently cut my finger while shaving down the crok.

6ish glas. Can't find the bloody bass rwasher? SOmebdy friggin took it...no wait, there it is. Got it brottomed down agianst the crock and crrimked it.

7? 9? sWho cars? Stupid aluminiimum casseing. Whats does knurled mean nanyway?

I kkeep turnning the stupidd cover but it wont screw on! Lefty Lucy righty tighty? I cantt remmmmerber.

ah the helll with it
LMAO!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

How pretentious can you get??

"I have an XJS and I can still afford wine with a cork"!!!!

I'll have to buy a 6 pack and go digging in the trash of a good restaurant......

Thanks, I'll check mine out.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Please be aware that this proceedure can cause significant headaches the following day. Presumably from toxic brake fluid fumes...