XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looking for right rear quarter window motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Looking for right rear quarter window motor?

OK...my mechanic did a great job in getting my car driving ready. But, we are having a challenge with the right rear quarter window - it goes down, but won't go up. He tested the relays, connections, lubricated it etc but it looks like the motor may need to be replaced.

Any suggestions on where to find one for less than $400?!

Help is very, very welcome...thank you!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a problem with my right rear window not going down at all. With yours, if the motor works going down it should also work going up. If the rear window motors are the same as the door windows (which I have had apart) then they are operated up & down by reversing the direction of current flow to the brushes. I found in mine, the braided lead from one of the brushes had hung up preventing it from making contact with the commutator. It was quite easy to take the motor apart, free up that brush, dress up the commutator and the brushes and reassemble. Also found that a piece of the rubber "shock absorber" (for want of a better descriptor) in the plastic driven gear had jammed up in the worm.
Was a time (and I used to do it) when all electrical components were repaired rather than replaced: starters, generators, alternators, distributors, motors, etc. Not so much these days.

Good luck,

cheers,
Don

Last edited by Don's Cat; 04-12-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: adding alternators
The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Don's Cat
I have a problem with my right rear window not going down at all. With yours, if the motor works going down it should also work going up. If the rear window motors are the same as the door windows (which I have had apart) then they are operated up & down by reversing the direction of current flow to the brushes. I found in mine, the braided lead from one of the brushes had hung up preventing it from making contact with the commutator. It was quite easy to take the motor apart, free up that brush, dress up the commutator and the brushes and reassemble. Also found that a piece of the rubber "shock absorber" (for want of a better descriptor) in the plastic driven gear had jammed up in the worm.
Was a time (and I used to do it) when all electrical components were repaired rather than replaced: starters, generators, alternators, distributors, motors, etc. Not so much these days.

Good luck,

cheers,
Don
I have same problem with my rear right window on convertible wont go down. Found on a lot of things not working was an electrical problem, I will be checking the motor,connections and switch If still not working will take to small elect. motor shop before I resort to new motor.

gkazimir (04-12-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by gkazimir
OK...my mechanic did a great job in getting my car driving ready. But, we are having a challenge with the right rear quarter window - it goes down, but won't go up. He tested the relays, connections, lubricated it etc but it looks like the motor may need to be replaced.

Any suggestions on where to find one for less than $400?!

Help is very, very welcome...thank you!

Regulatorsusa, in brooklyn, ny will rebuild yours for very little money. Call him, he might have one ready for you...ive gotten 2 from him... (718) 851-0100 from 9AM to 4PM Eastern Time from Mon. through Fri. Very nice guy there...honest & does it right!

gkazimir (05-02-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 PM

Regulators Usa, in Brooklyn, NY...ive gotten 2 from him....rebuilt, like new, for $260. He will rebuild yours for, $149, i think. Call him...he's honest and guarantees his work:

(718) 851-0100 from 9AM to 4PM Eastern Time from Mon. through Fri.

He might have one ready for you, in stock. Tell him frank in florida told you about him, thanks.

frank

The following 2 users liked this post by jagman77:
Bill C (04-27-2013), gkazimir (05-02-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I may have a used one in about a week or so.

gkazimir (05-02-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Mine is intermittent. When it stops in the down position, I can open up the side, rap the motor once or twice with a screwdriver, and problem solved. When I get some time, I'll take it out and see what I can see.

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Default How do you get the side panel off?

How does one get the side panel off to access the motor? My rear quarter window is stuck in the up position and I see a screw in the top of the side panel, right behind it. Am I correct in assuming it has to come out to get the side panel off to get at the motor? TIA.

Don

Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

I think that on page 612 of "The Book" you may find what you're looking for.
"Electric Rear Windows (Convertible)--Access"

Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Go to this page and there is a beautiful pictoral on how to do that:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...lacement-2.pdf

If that link doesn't show up as clickable, cut & paste it into your browser and that should do it for ya. Good luck,
frank

Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Don, i just realized that you are not talking about an XK8. Sorry about that. I have no experience with your car,

frank

Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Default "The Book"

Originally Posted by Bill C
I think that on page 612 of "The Book" you may find what you're looking for.
"Electric Rear Windows (Convertible)--Access"
Thanks, Bill, I know I can find "The Book" if I look for it but it would sure save me some time if you could point me in the right direction. Being a newbie I'm still trying to find all the references. Thanks again.

Don

Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Default Thanks anyway

Originally Posted by jagman77
Don, i just realized that you are not talking about an XK8. Sorry about that. I have no experience with your car,

frank
Thanks Frank, I'm sure the units haven't changed all that much anyway and those pics would be just as useful.

Don

Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
I may have a used one in about a week or so.
Please let me know!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Don's Cat
How does one get the side panel off to access the motor? My rear quarter window is stuck in the up position and I see a screw in the top of the side panel, right behind it. Am I correct in assuming it has to come out to get the side panel off to get at the motor? TIA.

Don
Woo Hoo, something I can help with! In the panel that the seat belt feeds out of there are two screws in the front. Undo them and the panel lifts off - you can then access the window and motor. The relays are in the storage area behind the seat on the passenger side if you need them.

Don's Cat (05-03-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bill C
Mine is intermittent. When it stops in the down position, I can open up the side, rap the motor once or twice with a screwdriver, and problem solved. When I get some time, I'll take it out and see what I can see.
This WAS like that, then it just stopped going up. :-(

Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I pick up the car on Tuesday if all goes well.

gkazimir (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by gkazimir
Woo Hoo, something I can help with! In the panel that the seat belt feeds out of there are two screws in the front. Undo them and the panel lifts off - you can then access the window and motor. The relays are in the storage area behind the seat on the passenger side if you need them.
Thanx for that. So the other two screws in that panel don't have to come out to remove the cover?
I've tried shuffling the relays around and there was no change so am assuming it's not relays. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM

I was able to remove the panel just by removing the two front screws on mine - it just lifted off with those out. One of the very few easy things on the car so far :-).

Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 AM

OK, we've decided to try to replace this IF I can find a motor that will work. Any suggestions for sources, or anyone parting out a car with a working motor? :-)

Quick Reply: Looking for right rear quarter window motor?