XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Marelli Ignition Coil Terminal!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Marelli Ignition Coil Terminal!?

Hey Guys,

thought I'd try to sort the dizzy out today. Cap is all cleaned up. Rotor is clean. Went to connect the HT leads for the coils but they won't fit...!?

I bought, way back in 2014m a set of NGK HT leads. They worked perfectly. As I ordered some new coils - DAC4608 - I didn't bother checking the contacts as DAC4608 is DAC4608... At least in my mind.

Now after comparing, the connector of the coil is male. It is also a lot smaller than that of my older coils (also original DAC4608). Is that correct? It says after googling "possible adaption of HT lead required" - can't really understand why they would change something like this but hey, who am I to complain...

Anyone else experienced this? Would it be enough to simply "crunch" the end of the HT lead a little to fit?

Cheers

Damien

Old 08-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Why did you replace a set of good coils?

With the HT terminal cut off the one that does not fit and crimp a new one on. An auto electrician should be able to do this for you.

DO NOT crunch the terminal as it needs to make contact on its whole surface and this approach could cause ignition issues.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Why did you replace a set of good coils?

With the HT terminal cut off the one that does not fit and crimp a new one on. An auto electrician should be able to do this for you.

DO NOT crunch the terminal as it needs to make contact on its whole surface and this approach could cause ignition issues.
Hey Warren,

I replaced both as my V12 had the tendency to run very lumpy on idle. The plugs were new, thr HTs were nee, the coils and end modules were old. So I'll be replacing them. The lumpyness seem very ignition sided for some reason. After all i jectors working and as I had a new pump and a nice and solid fuel pressure, it can only be ignition.

Oh, and the old coils looked well past their sell by date... One even had a cracked sealant (you know, the one end is filled with a hardsetting goo like silicone to seal the coil). Wouldn't surprise me if they were the first set...

Are you able/allowed to crimp on a new terminal to the HT leads, even if they are made of carbon or have a carbon core?

Old 08-12-2017, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The terminals on HT leads are crimped on. The way they are done is to strip the insulation and fold the centre conductor back on the insulation then crimp the terminal on.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
The terminals on HT leads are crimped on. The way they are done is to strip the insulation and fold the centre conductor back on the insulation then crimp the terminal on.
...but where do you get the new, correct-dimension terminals?

Old 09-05-2020, 12:18 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

i have a pair of genuine Jaguar Marelli coils in the box for sale if interested,

they are currently up on ebay , but would do a deal for a forum member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303639582670

BB