XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Need Help Finding a Good Mechanic (near Orlando FL)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:33 AM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Need Help Finding a Good Mechanic (near Orlando FL)

Normally, my preferred method is to spin my own wrenches. I learn more that way, and I know at least I will care about the little things along the way. Finding a good Wrench is not easy.

Unfortunately, I'm overseas right now, and could not bring the car with me. There were several reasons, and the leaks would have struggled with TuV. I'd like to fix those, but don't have garage space right now... and if I go to the trouble of pulling the engine to get after a few, I might as well put in a five speed to go with it.

So I left the car with my sister, and she has been taking very good care of it. But it was time for some minor preventive maintenance:

Oil Change
Differential Oil Change
Brake fluid change/bleed

Easy day, right?

She found a local place (who will remain nameless) who said he had experience with the cars, and their reviews were positive.

Result:
Oil Change went well. At least I think it did.

Differential Oil Change (and leak check). I knew it was leaking from the rear diff, wanted the oil changed, and the source of the leak identified. If it is the gasket, change that as part of the fluid change, if the seals on the sides, OK, just do the change and we'll drop the rear end later when we're ready to do the shocks, springs and bushings (I've been putting that off because I want to do that). Answer: Leak is from the side, can't source the part locally. If you're in Europe you should be able to find it.

Fluid change was not done. No word on checking the level. Answer given was "can't do it without dropping the rear end".

I know you don't have to drop the rear end to drain/refill the fluid. It might be easier, but it's not mandatory. Meanwhile, the oil drips on pavement tell me that the diff is NOT full. It at least needs to be topped off.

And by the way, he did not say "which part" he couldn't source. I'll assume the seal (and will order both sides) but is there something else? Not sure... sister is going back to ask.

Brake fluid change/bleed: Can't do it on the inboard brakes without dropping the rear end, besides the fluid "looks good". Well, I agree that the master cylinder is full, but it most certainly does not "look good". It looks like straw, and has been there probably since before Desert Storm.

So the bottom line (and I apologize for the length of this) is: can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Disney area? I'm willing to pay for competence, but have no idea to whom I should turn.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts
Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

your welcome.......

Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
your welcome.......
Sorry, haven't had a good internet connection in a few days. Makes posting difficult.

Thank you. Am contacting sister to see how close that is to her place. Right now, I'm stuck in Africa for a bit...