XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Need to Reduce Cabin Heat - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need to Reduce Cabin Heat - Please Help!

After clearing out a huge rat's nest who dined on plug wires vacuum hoses, and electrical tape, Kitty (89-XJS) is once again purring like she should and back on the road! Changed a leaky hose and pumped 134 in the AC this morning...

DURING TEST DRIVE this evening in 63 degree temp: She was on the edge of comfort with windows closed. I decided to shut the AC down and open the windows.

My girlfriend suggests baking cookies on the ashtray covers during the next drive. I realize heat is inherent in the design (perhaps a flaw), but this could become a BIG problem in the daytime, or even at night in the summertime. I'm in So Cal.

Is there a mod for this like some sort of insulation on the exhaust or under the floorboard/console area?

Thanx in advance!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

There are all sorts of insulating materials out there that you can put under the carpets, inside the console, etc. One example would be that jute padding that has foil on one side. Or, most auto paint suppliers sell squares of insulating material made from...made from....well I'm not sure what they're made of but it's black on pliable.

Yes, *some* engine heat does get in the cabin but I'm wondering if there isn't an actual problem....like cat converters overheating due to a Marelli failure? Does the car seem low on power? I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but you might wanna check.....

Cheers
DD

Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
There are all sorts of insulating materials out there that you can put under the carpets, inside the console, etc. One example would be that jute padding that has foil on one side. Or, most auto paint suppliers sell squares of insulating material made from...made from....well I'm not sure what they're made of but it's black on pliable.

Yes, *some* engine heat does get in the cabin but I'm wondering if there isn't an actual problem....like cat converters overheating due to a Marelli failure? Does the car seem low on power? I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but you might wanna check.....

Cheers
DD
Thanx, Doug. She's running strong and I additionally had my new Jag mechanic have a look and a test drive. He said she's in top condition. I will have to research the cabin insulation materials, which I presume also insulate the already-quiet interior from road noise...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Dynamat with heat reflective foil coating on 1 side. I used to sell it. Works extreeeemly well for both sound and heat reduction. Remove interior and door panels. Headliner if coupe. Lay material in sun to soften and makes easier to work in tight areas. The better you lay it the better it works. For the floors solid single layer. Double it over the trans tunnel and over floor board above exhaust. Strips work well in door to get rid of clang. If a coupe, do solid and double to stop sun heat transfere. Its expensive. But will sound better than when your car was new and on par with todays vehicles

Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
Dynamat with heat reflective foil coating on 1 side. I used to sell it. Works extreeeemly well for both sound and heat reduction. Remove interior and door panels. Headliner if coupe. Lay material in sun to soften and makes easier to work in tight areas. The better you lay it the better it works. For the floors solid single layer. Double it over the trans tunnel and over floor board above exhaust. Strips work well in door to get rid of clang. If a coupe, do solid and double to stop sun heat transfere. Its expensive. But will sound better than when your car was new and on par with todays vehicles
Thanx for the tip, but I've heard Dynamat is asphalt based material, like roofing... If that's the case, I'll probably get tar smell in the cab when it heats up. I found a company called Second Skin that makes stuff that's not asphalt-based...Any word on that stuff?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

It doesnt smell like asphalt and is the same type material used by car manufacturers. I used to do custom work on cars and used this stuff all the time. Just doing the roof panel would typicaly reduce cabin heat sitting in the texas sun 30-40degress. And like i said, doors close like a safe door. Nice and solid sound with no clang.
There are other products out there including spray on sound/heat reducers...but i recommend things i have used and try to stay away from advertizing hoopla and conjecture