XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New to me 1990 XJS 61k where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 1990 XJS 61k where do I start?

I just came into possession of an all original 1990 XJS Coupe, red/tan, even has the 24 year old P600s on it still. It, runs, drives, and stops without an ounce of body rust anywhere, just a few door dings and light scratches on the original paint. My father in law has owned it since new and asked that I be its caretaker once he moved on. So I purchased it from the estate.

I know he'd wanted it to stay in the family and to be used, but its got to be safe and somewhat reliable if were going to drive it. The only thing I've done thus far is change the belts as they were so dry rotted I was afraid to start it with them on. Most of the hoses seem to be in still decent shape though.

My biggest conundrum right now are the darn tires, as the ones that are currently on there can't possibly still be safe although they do have decent tread. I've found new W rated P600s, but they are insanely expensive for what they are. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacements, or is it just best to honor the car and put the OEM tires back on it for the extra $500 ( I think I just answered my own question).

I've read a lot about the ignition system on these, do they really need to be replaced annually, or is that indeed overkill? Would it be a sin to upgrade to a more modern ignition system? I think I read something about a Lucas system.

Many thanks for everyones help as I wade through this.

I'll post some pics soon.

All the best,
Doug

Old 05-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by DaWolf
Most of the hoses seem to be in still decent shape though.

If there is *any* doubt about the fuel hoses, replace them. I'll wager they're original. This is important.

My biggest conundrum right now are the darn tires, as the ones that are currently on there can't possibly still be safe although they do have decent tread. I've found new W rated P600s, but they are insanely expensive for what they are. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacements, or is it just best to honor the car and put the OEM tires back on it for the extra $500 ( I think I just answered my own question).

If you want the orginal size and a high speed rating the P600s are the only choice, it seems. If you're willing fudge a bit on size and/or speed rating, or go to a 16" wheel, more choices open up

I've read a lot about the ignition system on these, do they really need to be replaced annually, or is that indeed overkill?

*Inspect* annually perhaps. Replace annually, no.

The Marelli ignition can mean big trouble if neglected. If kept in good shape...not so bad at all.

The cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires need to be promptly replaced when needed...but not arbitrarily every year.

Would it be a sin to upgrade to a more modern ignition system? I think I read something about a Lucas system.
Some have used the Lucas distributor with the Marelli system. That's probably what you're thinking of.

Many thanks for everyones help as I wade through this.

XJSs are quirky in some respects and require a certain amount of commitment...but they're well worth the effort.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
DaWolf (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like good advice. Many thanks.

I've tracked down a mechanic who worked on the car previously. I'm taking it in to him tomorrow for a good once over. I'll let you know the report once complete.