XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New XJS Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New XJS Owner

My 2nd Jaguar, wonderful machines, but my 1st V-12
Well, my first Jag engine, my 1986 XJ6 had been converted.
Anyway, have a couple of questions.
This was a one owner car until yesterday.

Just picked up a 1988 XJS V-12 extremely cheap. A couple of issues though.
#1) Ignition key is broken. I have both halves, but too twisted to be a guide to cut a new one. Door key is fine.
Can the dealer help me with this old of a Jag?

#2) Both exterior door handles appear to be jammed up.
As a result, the drivers door is stuck shut and the passenger door does not latch when shut. I need to pull the door panel on the pass. side. Just gotta figure out how to pull drivers panel with door shut.

#3) She has been sitting for 11 years. Owner says it ran perfect when parked. But was put away and ignored due to a bitter divorce. (I believe this has something to do ith the ignition key being destroyed)
Oil, Coolant, Etc. look clean...
Aside from changing belts, hoses and fresh fluids. Any suggestions on this particular engine as to what to clean or check before attempting to start?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Since there are two different keys, I would check eBay for a new ignition switch with key.

There doesn't seem to be one now, but if you have time to wait, I'm sure one will come up.

I think it's part DAC4151. You can find one from a Jaguar Parts guy, like Jagbits, Welshent, Paul's Jaguar, etc.

It definitely looks like a part that would be easy enough to replace on your own.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Yeah, was thinking probably changing it anyway. With the mileage, I am wary of the switch being worn internaly anyway. Just the wheels are turned to the right and going to make it fun to get off the tow truck into my garage. Luckily the shifter does not lock with the ignition.
Thanks for the part #, that will help. But will give Ebay a couple of weeks. No use in getting in a hurry I suppose. Magnificent machine.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I presume fresh gasoline is included in your "fluids" list?

Be prepared for a rusty gas tank after 11 years of storage.

I'd take a good look at the "Vee" of the engine and make sure there aren't any rodent nests that might be a fire hazard.

After you get it started and running I can think of numerous checks and replacements before putting the car on the road but first things first!

Cheers
DD

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 PM

Defintiely on the lucky side with that one. No nest, no chewed wires, hoses, etc.
No rotten gas smell, so I am assuming the tank is dry. Which will make it easier to remove.
Got the doors somewhat functional. Unfortunately I had to cut the drivers door panel to do it.
The rod for interior handle had popped loose anyway.
Now with it at my place I have been able to crawl underneath. Absolutely no rust except the rear panel between the trunk pan and the bumper. Yet the trunk pan and quarters are clean. But this one piece is 60% gone. Even the exhaust and bumper mounts are clean. The car had been sitting in the grass with the rear bumper hanging over a open storm drain the entire time.
Also, found the igniton key. It is broken, but was able to stick the half key in the ignition and it allows me to turn it with some needle nose pliers.
Engine turns over smooth. But will change oil and fuel before attempting to actually starting it.