XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

No one can do alignment in my town.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No one can do alignment in my town.

No one has upper control arm bolt removal tool, so that the shims
can be adjusted.

This is an offset little wrench tool that no one has, and i cannot seem to find it online anywhere, probally because i dont know the correct name for it.

My 1988 xjs pulls slightly to the right on ocassion, figured i would get
an alignment. (WRONG) Its not that they cant do it, i've called all alignment places 80.00 for the alignment, but nobodys got this tool.

any advice??

Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Before going the route of an alignment to find out the front suspension is totally out of spec. Check the suspension over. Common items that I know of (there are more out there) Upper ball joints, front wheel bearing play, control arm bushing wear, steering rack bushing wear, to name a few. Do a search in the XJS section for things like bushings, rack bushings, etc. There is not a specific special tool for the upper control arm cross shaft shims. If an alignment tech can actually see what the conditions are to get to the bolt, he/she may be able to come up with their own wrench. Best of luck.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,807 Likes on 7,120 Posts

In 15 years of horsing around with Jags this is the first time I've heard of a special tool for the upper arm bolts.

I've never had an alignment guy ask me for one, either.

There s plenty of debate, though, regarding the links that are required to lock the suspension at a specific ride height before changing the alignment settings. I've never used the links and never had any problems that I was aware of. Of course, I don't know how the car would feel if the links WERE used, either.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

coolie i'll check these out. Like i said or not one mechanic said he had this wrench 13
years ago but broke it on a rusted bolt and never replaced it.
i saw an example he showed me of the wrong size, just looks like the end of an open ended wrench (just the end, as if it could slip onto a handle or something.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I agree with Doug, I dont remember needign anything special and I never used the midladen tools for suspension. Never got abnormal wear and didnt have issue with drifting other than occasssianal tire pull or road crown drift

Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Qgregg
coolie i'll check these out. Like i said or not one mechanic said he had this wrench 13
years ago but broke it on a rusted bolt and never replaced it.
i saw an example he showed me of the wrong size, just looks like the end of an open ended wrench (just the end, as if it could slip onto a handle or something.
Sounds like you are describing a "crowfoot open end wrench" that snaps on a ratchet handle made for sockets. They are small open end wrenches to get into a tight spot with a ratchet handle. I have a set and have never used the first one on anything and I turn wrenches everyday. I think he is feeding you a line of.... That's not a special Jag tool.