XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Talking Now What?

Ok! so I get my xjs on the road and I bring my documents and the serial # for my radio to the dealer to get my unlock code. They can't find the code on the computer so they get out the "book", they're loking and looking and STILL can't find the code but, nice guys that they were they persevered. One gentleman asks for the model # of the radio and connects to the "Alpine radio" website and still is having no luck until he discovers that you need to eliminate the first two letters in th serial #. He comes up with 22215 WOW am I glad! Until we go out to my car and type it in and.........BBBEEEEPPP! no go. And I have put in the code a number of times observing the three times and wait an hour with the radio on or disconnect the battery each time so.......Now What? Is this radio over? or should I try again at another dealership in hopes that they will be able to come up with a different #. I really want the oem radio.All I want to do is type in a couple of numbers and be done, Not buy a new radio and do the extensive install I've got other things to fix! ANYBODY got anything they can tell me at this point? Some potential trial code numbers? Huh!...... I need hhheeeeellllp! This is my convertible and I really want to fix this one as close to stock as possible. It's a classic edition and deserves it. Thought I'd ask before resigning myself to the cost and work to replace it. Thanks much again for any comments or info that helps. Bud

Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Smile Keep trying!

Well, no responses. Hmm... That's okay, nobody's come across this problem before so what can they tell me. Well, I solved my own problem. I don't know why but after say...twenty times, the radio took the code... and it now works. Finicky cars, need their buttons pushed often. So here's my suggestion to anyone with the same problem, KEEP TRYING . If the radio is intact and working properly just simply keep at it. Seems that if any of these cars sit for awhile they need coaxing back to an operational state. I guess just like everything else. Cheers! Bud

Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advise. I have pulled pretty much out of the interior of my Jagmeister a few weeks ago and try to put it all back together 2 weeks from now. I did not realize that the radio would need a code and I hope that I will not encounter the same issues. If I do, this will surely help.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:17 AM

The Radio has a serial number on top of the unit . You must take it out to access it .In order to get this code, you must bring the serial number and all your proof of ownership documents to a jaguar dealer and they will give you the code. If it's the right one, then turn the radio on, key in the numbers, and it SHOULD (FIRE up) and work fine. But keep trying, never give up. Also, test every electrical connection (windows,locks mirrors BEFORE you reassemble the interior or you may find yourself disassembling again. make sure everything WORKS BEFORE putting it back together. AND... lubricate" EVERYTHING" Inspect and clean every connection Trust me, you'll thank me later. Bud

Last edited by buddyluv; 07-30-2012 at 12:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by buddyluv:
newguy (08-02-2012), Norri (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Xjs?

Not that you aren't welcome but are you on the right forum?

[edit] My bad! . . . I am on the wrong forum

Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

aftermarket radio right here.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Isn't there something about continually doing the same thing and expecting a different result?
Seems it doesn't apply to Jags.