XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Oil Change

XJS 1993 SIX cylinders
Never have change oil in this car and planning to do so soon. I will use Mobil 1 10W 40 or 10w 30. Car never overheats with air on and 90+ outside air temperature. Don't know any of the caveats in changing oil in XJS and would appreciate your input. Does the oil pan have two drains? Is ten quarts about right? Any special filter? Would Fram or Purilator filter be OK?

Old 07-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Stay away from a Fram filter. 10W-40 is probably best. Handles the heat a bit better.
Nothing special about changing the oil. One drain plug as far I know. Never heard of more than one. Check the manual for the proper amount.

Not sure if '93's still had grease fittings. My '87 does. Best to give each one a squirt or two of new grease.

One top and bottom of front wheels. One each bottom of rear wheels. One on steering rack. (just give it a little bit) Four on rear differential suspension.

The following users liked this post:
afterburner1 (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Consider using Amsoil oil flush and Archoil friction additives afterward, your location says your in Texas so it will be easy to find these products, they did wonders on my XJ6(s) and my V12. I also use Amsoil 20w-50 for 'older' engines which seems alright, not as much of an improvement as adding archoil though.

afterburner1 (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Great advise from both you fellas! This car is new to me and I have put less than 300 miles on it. Car was stored in an A/C residential garage for its 60k life. and is a cream puff. Brad' Cats info was exactly what I needed. Don't know if there are lube points, but I know where to look.
VancouverXJ6. Will use the Amsoil friction, but confused about using flushing after the change. Could you explain?

Old 07-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner1
Great advise from both you fellas! This car is new to me and I have put less than 300 miles on it. Car was stored in an A/C residential garage for its 60k life. and is a cream puff. Brad' Cats info was exactly what I needed. Don't know if there are lube points, but I know where to look.
VancouverXJ6. Will use the Amsoil friction, but confused about using flushing after the change. Could you explain?
Sorry I mean Amsoil flush in before dumping the old oil, and its ok to run those abit longer then the 15mins on the bottle. The Archoil friction modifier (to be added with clean oil) does absolute wonders I found that alone solved my higher than usual engine temps on my first XJ6 as well as boosting mpg eventually averaging 24-29mpg mixed driving. Similar results and better idle on the V12 with archoil to.

I wish this wouldn't plaster the preview in the forum post but whatever:

afterburner1 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Nice car, no doubt. A thing to enjoy.

As to the "snake oil" stuff, I am badly biased, I'll remain silent...

Just good quality 20-50 has served me well over a few decades in a few different critters.

Indeed, my 302 powered 88 Tbird had two drains on it sump. Sump to front cross member interference .

Carl

Old 07-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,797 Likes on 7,119 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner1
XJS 1993 SIX cylinders
Never have change oil in this car and planning to do so soon. I will use Mobil 1 10W 40 or 10w 30. Car never overheats with air on and 90+ outside air temperature. Don't know any of the caveats in changing oil in XJS and would appreciate your input.

I can't think of any caveats. Nothing exotic or special is *required* but you can certainly go as fancy as you like

Does the oil pan have two drains?
Nope

Is ten quarts about right?
Not sure. Did the car come with an owners manual?

The AJ16 in my '95 took 8.5 quarts as I recall. But yours might be different. If unsure I'd go with 8 quarts and then top-off if needed

Any special filter?

Nope

Would Fram or Purilator filter be OK?
Yup.

Filters are just like oils. Lots of opinions, lots of favorites.

Fram got a bad reputation some time back (15 years ago?) when it was discovered that, despite the advertising hype, many of their filters were only average or, in some cases, clearly sub-par quality.

I fell into that trap and, after using Fram for years with no problems whatsoever, switched to other brands. In the last few years I've returned to using Fram when convenient to do so. I neither seek them out nor avoid them.

Nowadays you can go the the oil and filter discussion boards and, often as not, find a bit of a reversal, with many people saying that whole "Fram filter thing", while not baseless or irrelevant, became way overblown. But the legend lives on.

FWIW my present day favorite filter is Baldwin...but for reasons that I can't back up with any technical information so I won't even try.

The AJ6 and AJ16 engines are tough and long lived. When I sold my '95 it had 171k miles and it ran and sounded just as sweet as a nut.....with oil and filter changes every 5000-6000 miles using whatever oil and filter was on sale that day at the local parts store. When sold it burned a mere 1 quart of oil every 4000 miles. That's nothing to complain about. I'm not quite convinced that specialty oils and carefully selected filters would've yielded any tangible, real world improvement.

Cheers
DD