XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Original Paint Color

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Original Paint Color

I am trying to find out the original paint color for an 83 XJS I have found..... I have the VIN number, but am having difficulty getting it deciphered into telling me what the original exterior color was.

Anyone have any clues or leads?

Also I am looking for a front grill for the same car, as well as headlight bezels and possibly the bumper cover for the front. If anyone has any of these pieces parts they'd be willing to part with, please let me know.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The VIN will not give paint and trim codes.

There should be trim tag on the car...usually on a tag in the engine bay OR somewhere in the left door opening, such as on the A-Pillar near the hinges.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 11-04-2015 at 07:53 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 11-04-2015, 12:33 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

found this page on EBay for grill
jaguar xjs grill | eBay

as for the bezel, check ebay also

The following users liked this post:
NtAFord (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
The VIN will not paint and trim codes.

There should be trim tag on the car...usually on a tag in the engine bay OR somewhere in the left door opening, such as on the A-Pillar near the hinges.

Cheers
DD
My trim tag is on the drivers side A pillar, only problem with mine it does not have the color listed. has the trim, but no body color. it may have been a special order color for the year as I know it was not repainted from when I had the interior out 2 yrs ago, and from looking in the boot, and while working under the hood

Old 11-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 190 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by daverb
My trim tag is on the drivers side A pillar, only problem with mine it does not have the color listed. has the trim, but no body color. it may have been a special order color for the year as I know it was not repainted from when I had the interior out 2 yrs ago, and from looking in the boot, and while working under the hood

Try under the hood in the vicinity of where the cross braces that go from the fender to firewall meet the fenders, should be a 3 letter paint code in that vicinity.

Wayne

The following users liked this post:
NtAFord (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 PM

found this page on EBay for grill
jaguar xjs grill | eBay

as for the bezel, check ebay also
Thank you very much for that link. Someone had one on there for auction and I got it for 50 bucks....

Old 11-10-2015, 07:44 AM

This one was on the B-Pillar. Color code is PDF, which from what I researched is Sable Black for an 83. Car fired right up too. I felt the engine to make sure the seller hadn't "warmed it up" prior to me getting there, and the exhaust and block were all cold. Found a grill, now I need to find the lower grill as well as the headlight bezels..... E-Bay has a bunch of the Facelift style bezels, but I am not finding the Sealed Beam styles.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by NtAFord
This one was on the B-Pillar. Color code is PDF, which from what I researched is Sable Black for an 83. Car fired right up too. I felt the engine to make sure the seller hadn't "warmed it up" prior to me getting there, and the exhaust and block were all cold. Found a grill, now I need to find the lower grill as well as the headlight bezels..... E-Bay has a bunch of the Facelift style bezels, but I am not finding the Sealed Beam styles.
sounds like your off to a good start, been looking around for the headlight bezels but nothing yet. Lower Grills on EBay
jaguar xjs lower grill | eBay

Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM

sounds like your off to a good start, been looking around for the headlight bezels but nothing yet. Lower Grills on EBay
jaguar xjs lower grill | eBay

I still have had no luck finding a matching set of Headlight Bezels. I am finding them all over with the Euro styled oval headlights, but I need the quad sealed beam style. Even if they aren't chromed I would take them.... as long as they aren't broken any where.