XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Pictures of the NEW V12..... yep.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 PM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Pictures of the NEW V12..... yep.

After sulking about not buying the 1991 XJS - as always I am checking trade me 3 times a day,, waiting for that car.
Well this morning there it was...

The advert... on trade me.

VERY RARE 4 SEAT CONVERSION

Heated seats, electric windows expensive magic stereo and disc player
Remote locking with alarm
As the pictures show I am selling my Immaculate metallic blue XJS V12 convertible, to make way for a Jaguar F type.
The paintwork is unmarked, and there is no rust anywhere. New WOF from VTNZ.
Dark blue mohair electric hood, with tonneau cover all in unmarked condition
Grey leather heated seats with the upholstery to convert back to a four seater (rear passengers must have very tiny legs)
The air conditioning operates as it should and all instruments work - the petrol gauge is very inaccurate, but the warning lights all work.
Heated glass rear window, and all four side windows retract to make it the ultimate long distance cruiser
Maintained exceedingly well over the years, always kept under cover, but has been used as a daily car so sometimes has got dirty.
Anti theft remote fitted by previous owner who only used it for summer holidays hence the low mileage.
Believed one overseas owner in USA and two NZ owners.Imported in 1997 and converted to right hand drive, including lights and trim
I have owned this car since 2012 and have always spent what was needed to keep it top condition. New battery recently fitted

NOTE Distance traveled is in miles and is approximate as it is in constant use
Not hugely fast most rice rockets leave it standing - but the purr of the exhaust and the effortless cruising and cornering leaves you as fresh at the end as when you started
PACE SPACE GRACE epitomised in the majestic car

Sounds good..... so I rang the gentleman, had a chat and we did the deal, deposit paid. All unseen. It is located in the south island 1000km away.
The last car was $31,500 NZD (20.8k USD) this one was listed at $25,000 NZD and got it for $21,000 (13.8k USD)

So where are the pictures?
Here they are... drum roll.....

Blue not my first choice but it s growing on me..wife loves it more than the green one.

Car is mint....

Owner described it as 4/5 for mint close to perfect but is driven often..

I like the steering wheel, does not look standard to me?
yes the glove box is open...

Inside looks assume, cant wait to sit my hairy but on them.

To be honest this is minter than the green one, inside certainly is.... Jag club member!

Soooo cool... I actually like the pre face lift rear end better...

The Jag gods love me today, they knew I needed help and the gave me this... for $10,000 NZD less. WOW... $13,800 USD - I feel I have paid a good price and could sell it tomorrow for the same money. Not so that Green one! never liked green or the face lift model anyway LOL

OH... look close see the amp..... yep, the gentleman said "I don't know how the stereo works, sounds great and I was told it cost over $2,000" look at the door picture and you can see a tweeter mounted back from the door. SOOO cool.
Oh did I mention much better than that green one.

Advert said no marks... but the is a couple.. I can live with them.

See the blue is growing on me, I think blue is the best!

Might have to do another drum roll ............. and another ................ the engine pictures, what are your comments?

And, and, is it acceptable? Yes I spotted the yellow fan, guess that is my first job.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dukejag:
Flint Ironstag (08-15-2018), v1rok (08-17-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 AM

Some more good points... towbar, need one of those.
And the Gentleman offered to drive it to Auckland to see their step son. Perfect. "I love a road trip" I am sure we will negotiate the cost as they will need to fly home.

What more can I say, I have purchased a car that has been well maintained, he has two jags and want a F type, he said I am getting to old to climb in to the XJS.
He uses it regularly and mileage is not to high.

Oh and when negotiating price he said, "21k ....hmmm I have spent a lot of money on this car, aircon was $3,000 and work wonderfully" See air con that works.... today I love the Jag gods.
Now I have to wait... until it arrives.
Yea ha.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Very nice-looking machine indeed. I love the grey interior, and blue is a very nice colour--better than the BRG in my non-so-humble opinion.
Whenever I look at nice cars for sale, one thing I check is the tyres--are they spending money for quality tyres, or just buying the cheapest Chinese crap? Continental are what my cat wears, and suggests an owner who cares.
The ski slope's been replaced with what looks like black plastic for some reason.
Steering wheel def. looks non-standard. What are the two switches in front of the gear lever?
Take a closer look when you can at the bit by the seam for the trunk opening on the right side, just by the right tail light--hope it's not rust.
A tow hitch? For the concrete mixer?

Anyway, it's going to be a great cruise back up from ChCh--but do take her on a bit of a tiki-tour of the South Island since you're down there. Those open roads are made for a car like this....

Old 08-10-2018, 12:36 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Well done, was this a Tauranga car? I wonder what it failed the WoF on in Aug ‘17 any ideas?
PM me about membership benefits for the Auckland Jag club.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:38 AM

Thanks Robman... how the hell did you find this info out?
Car is in Christchurch, actually Ashburton.

PM sent!

Old 08-10-2018, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dukejag
Thanks Robman... how the hell did you find this info out?
My question, too. The NZTA will tell you what the current WOF is, but I didn't see any mention of past ones. Failed or otherwise.

Success! Your inspection and licensing details are below.

UY69001988JAGUARXJSBLUE

Inspection details

Warrant of fitness expiry date:05/12/2018

Licence details

Licence expiry date:26/09/2018

Old 08-10-2018, 12:56 AM

Arron, can’t reply by PM contact me on
robinoconnor29@gmail.com

carjam.co.nz for the info

Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 AM

The ski slope's been replaced with what looks like black plastic for some reason.............
Hell I did not notice... what the fu#k... (sorry for the words) still 10k is 10k and that suits me... please Jag gods don't screw me!
Thanks for the post... (hell what have I done).. stereo looks cool LOL, and i can tow a concrete mixer.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:52 AM

noticed I posted one picture twice...

Old 08-10-2018, 01:55 AM

The ski slope's been replaced with what looks like black plastic for some reason.............

How easy to fix... wont tell the wife about that!
Still at... how lucky am I, I spoke for 20min and could not have been more pleased, lets hope so...

Old 08-10-2018, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dukejag
Hell I did not notice... what the fu#k... (sorry for the words) still 10k is 10k and that suits me... please Jag gods don't screw me!
Thanks for the post... (hell what have I done).. stereo looks cool LOL, and i can tow a concrete mixer.
Nah, it's not a big issue--just get one of those nice-looking cupholder ski slopes from British Autowood. I've have my eye on those for ages. Haven't plunged, as while my ski slope's got some cracks, I really like the colour. It'll cost a lot less than $10K, that's for sure.
I notice no pics of the driver's seat either, especially the bolster.
And, as I always say to myself, if worse comes to worst, it's not like having a child--you can always sell the thing.
Legally, anyway....

Old 08-10-2018, 02:21 AM

Comments on the engine, what your spotter eye's see?
Things I dont to know about!

And I want the truth... no candy covered it will be ok ****!

Old 08-10-2018, 02:29 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

looks like you snagged a nice looking car. Personally I am not a fan of convertibles/droptops, but that one looks goo with the blue on blue. and the engine/motor looks clean as the interior. keep us up to date on your recent buy

Old 08-10-2018, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

It all looks pretty nice down there actually, as far as my limited experience can tell. Someone like Grant or Greg will be able to give much better critiques.
For me, I'm curious as to why the VIN plate appears to be painted over.
The crosspipe and fuel rail are dirty, but that shouldn't be more than cosmetic.
It's missing the windscreen washer filler cap.
Judging by how clean the fittings are, several hoses appear to have been renewed fairly recently.
The cruise control bellows look clean--you might even have working c/c.
It even appears to have the yellow foam around the rad to direct air through the rad. Looks in decent nick--would be surprised after all this time.
You'll want to check the injector hoses very carefully, but you know that.

It's a lot more complex than my facelift V12, that's for sure....

Not engine, but I wonder if the two switches in front of the gear shift are for the rear side windows to allow them to be lowered at will? That would be interesting.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Wow that must have taken some time and money to convert to RHD...Is it easy on a Jag ? That rear seat conversion from luggage box to seats is also not cheap ( I know, as l did mine). And you still have the box and seats to change over back and forth as you like. Some previous owners have spent money on the cosmetics, LOTS of it. If you are lucky they have also spent on the mechanicals too.
As a US car l believe it should have 2 VIN numbers. 1 Jaguar and 1 for the US market.

KEEP US POSTED

Last edited by malc4d; 08-10-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Duke

Unless I have missed something, you didn't mention the Year of manufacture that She is supposed to be

But She is the earlier Lucas Car and not the later Marelli, so I would think She's 1989 or maybe even earlier than that, as even without the Engine Pics the style of Steering Column would have given it away and the Steering Wheel is non standard

As for the Black Ski Slope that could point to an 87 or 88 Car and looks like extra Switches have been added, so that the rear side windows can be independently lowered or raised

Instead of Automatically being lowered, at the same time that the Soft Top is put down, for the benefit of the passengers on the rear seats (this I would say is something of a bonus) although it only take a couple of wires and switches to do

But the biggest plus on that Car is that unlike the 91 your Car has an EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP!!! and when it goes wrong as they all do in time, then you will be down on your knees thanking 'The Jaguar Gods' that you've got one of those!

As unlike the In-Tank Fuel Pump which is a Total PIA to replace, the External Fuel Pump is an 'Absolute Walk In The Park' and would only cost you around $30 and easily done in under a couple of hours (or an hour if you've done one before)

She does look a very, very, nice Car and also a Pre-Facelift which I think looks much nicer than the Facelift with those 'Gothic' rear lights

Old 08-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Old Jags are the easiest cars to convert as all the parts required are a new rack and dash pad. everything else will just move to the other side. Looks like it's in really good nick, engine bay looks clean and pretty original.

Injector hoses have been replaced and hose clamped, I would re-do these properly with the correct ferrules and check the injector barbs have not been damaged.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 AM

It’s an ‘88

Old 08-10-2018, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

I think more's been changed than the rack and dash--aren't the the brake ball and brake fluid containers swapped around between RHD and LHD engines?

OB - it's a 1988 model. Palm's book says it was '88 that the ski slope was changed to wood, but according to all the photos I've seen, the pre-wood slope was quite different shape--more rounded at the corners.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:25 AM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

Looks good.

Once in the home shed, you can do the "to do list", which should not be that long, and then get it up to your spec.

Unless documented, and proven, I would remove that radiator, and do the pro clean/recore, and replace ALL the hoses, thermostats, and belts. Flush ALL the mud out of the 2 header tanks, and get it back to what it should be.

Decide at that time if Efans are for you, or the OE set up. Efans are MY choice.

Age related rubber bushes may need some attention, but it is 30 odd years old.

Lots of fun in your future, and dont worry about the wife, she already knows, trust us ALL on that one.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 08-11-2018 at 04:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-10-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pictures of the NEW V12..... yep.