XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Price guides

Old 11-30-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price guides

Hi all,,contemplating putting our XJS up for sale ,probably in the spring..I've checked Hagerty and a couple other sources and find a pretty broad range of prices..Wondering what you members prefer for a guide. Thank you

Old 12-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks evrybody

Old 12-02-2016, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

A think a guide would be best done via checking current auctions...Check eBay for local prices... Guide books aren't really exactly that, what they are supposed to be... Helpful.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:00 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Hi Rick,

Also value will depend on numerous factors, in addition to condition and service history, is it a 6 or V12.

Convertible seem to fetch higher prices than coupes, also your location has an impact on value, prices in UK seem to be considerably higher than US, possibly because more were exported to the States.

Sorry can't give an opinion without more information.
A photo or two would help elicit further opinions

Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Establishing ACV of a given vehicle was once a needed skill in my former profession. One of my sources was the manager of the local
Ford dealer's used car lot. A friend, so he gave me good stuff, unlike the reputation of others in like positions. He dic use Kelley's blue Book as an advisory, but added his experience as to what he could sell a similar car for.

Finding a similar car for sale was a gem in getting it right. In addition a gold book existed for older cars. And, a red book in competition with Kelley's.

But, caveat, asking and selling price often differ considerably...

In my day it was the classified section of the news paper. Nowadays, Auto Trader and the like offer so much more.

Adjust for condition and equipment, put them in a spread sheet column. Toss the highest and lowest and average the remainder.

Carl

Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do Kelley Blue Book values tend to run on the low end? I've seen some ads for post-facelift six cylinder XJS coupes and the sellers are asking for ~$1000-3000 more than what KBB says is the price for a "Excellent" condition example (which is currently $6214). These cars are not near "mint" and it looks like you can decent v12s for that money.

I guess I have to count for regional differences since I'm in a more expensive part of the country, but that still seems like a big difference on a car that everyone knows has a high service cost and less-than-ideal parts availability.

And maybe these sellers have good service history records too?

Last edited by Eric Cantonese; 04-13-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Clarification