XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Progressive incurable insanity

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Progressive incurable insanity

I bought another one today. A 1989 XJS for $400.

Body straight as an arrow; gray with wire spoke wheels, interior black and in good condition. Exterior looks GREAT!

But it's a basket case, according to the mechanics shop where it has been abandoned for months. Motor has low vacuum, you can tell it has uneven compression by the way it cranks. Something in the rear end makes the devils own noise when driving--it's a miracle the thing drives at all. The engine surges from idle to 3k incessantly. The climate control is partially disassembled and it peed something on my leg whilst driving it home.

Talk about an oakie fix, the power steering leaks so bad the fluid pours out a broken hose as fast as you fill it up. So the owner put one of those taxi or handicap knobs to assist turning the heavy effort wheel.

I think Jed Clampett's old truck probably ran better and certainly made less noise going down the road. Against all odds, we made it the 4 miles from shop to home, where my 2007 GMC Sierra is now flanked on both sides by Jaguars.

The fate of this car? Remains to be seen. But just the plastic spoiler is worth 3/4 what I paid for the whole rig, so at worst, it's a parts car. For a moment, I thought of transplanting the superior drivetrsin from blackjack into the fresher chassis. Then I thought..nah; gray with wire wheels, it's a chick's car.

Then again my daughter is only 11 and I have five years to fix it.

Which should be about right.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Ah you have PII400 OBD-11 trouble which, can be due to the following and should be addressed accordingly.

Symptoms

No symptoms will likely be noticed by the sufferer other than the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) displayed at the ATM. However, non-visible symptoms will be increased combustion temperature and increased Nox emissions.

Causes

A code PII400 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • Plugged EGR (Extra Green Reddies) passage which restricts the flow of folding bills
  • Faulty EGR solenoid. This can be reverse checked by depositing currency into the ATM
  • Faulty EGR solenoid wiring/harness. Try to shake the ATM (a head covering and gloves are recommended).
  • Vacuum lines damaged/disconnected to the EGR valve solenoid or to the EGR valve. (This can be confirmed by listening for the loud sigh emitted by the ATM at normal operating temperature)
  • Faulty EGR valve (No hope, situation)
Possible Solutions

Since EGR (Extra Green Reddies) valve designs are different, no one test will suffice:
  • Using a scan tool, operate the EGR valve with the motor running. If the motor stumbles, the problem was likely to be intermittent deposit problems or intermittent blockage problems
  • If the motor doesn't stumble, operate the EGR valve manually (a stout bar may be required), if possible. If the motor doesn't stumble and die, the outlet slot is likely to be plugged. Removal of the valve and cleaning of all outlet slots will be required
  • Checking of the solenoid can only usually be done with a specialized scan tool, because most solenoids will only operate between certain preset dispensing limits, rather than constant outpouring
  • Check all vacuum lines, hoses, etc. for any damage
  • Visually inspect the solenoid harness and the solenoid for damage (it may be that a previous client has manually checked the valve).
  • Replace EGR valve (this usually requires specialized assistance and is beyond the scope of most people).
Whilst this can be an annoying and sometimes time consuming affliction, it is not generally considered to be fatal and sufferers can expect to enjoy a relatively normal existence.

Last edited by Translator; 01-16-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Lou

You have truly been bitten by the bug !

I had also been offered, or had enquired about similar cars, with the main aim to get a front chin spoiler, as I was missing mine. Unfortunately I don't have space to store a 3rd Jaguar so I ended up paying 250USD (including shipping) for an unpainted "reproduction" front chin spoiler, so you're right, you're easily going to get a return on your investment.

If the front seats are in good shape, they're worth 200 each easily (I know, I'm looking right now for a tan set) plus I'm sure as you continue to shake down your running XJS there will always be that little widget or bracket or pipe or plastic molding piece that you need, and all you'll have to do is walk down your drive and pull it off the other car. There's a pretty good overlap between an '84 and an '89. Maybe a nice interior swap would be a good idea ? (I think I remember you saying in an earlier post that your interior was needing work)

Good XJS parts seem to be getting harder and harder to find these days, so I'm sure if you advertise the car as breaking for parts on your local Craigslist or similar, you will get many enquiries. It's always sad to see one being broken up, but I guess if one dies to keep another 5 on the road from its parts, there's some kind of balance in the force there

Have a good weekend with your new toy !