XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear brake caliper rebuild - Another Jaguar tale

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Rear brake caliper rebuild - Another Jaguar tale

Having had some rotor overheating issues on the rear drivers side, and a leaking pinion seal, i decide to drop the IRS of my 1990 convertible. I started with a diff rebuild but that's another story. I thought i'd share my experience of rebuilding my brakes, both parking and the calipers - how hard can that be?
Following advice on this forum the parking brake rebuild was a breeze, all it took was some dismantling and cleaning - thanks to all who've posted on this.
Initally i didn't think i'd strip the calipers but having checked on the internet and established that all parts were readily available from numerous sources i decided to replace all the removable parts and re-build with new as some pitting was evident on the pistons and bridge pipes. i did not separate the halves of the calipers but i did paint them a rather jazzy color as one of them had a fair bit of surface rust.
i wont mention any parts sources by name but having several places to choose from i shopped on price (i am from Scotland after all) and here is how it went:
Supplier 1 (S1): 4 pistons Carlson 7669 ordered, 2 seal sets ordered, 2 bridge pipes.
All arrive on schedule; seals good, bridge pipes good, all of the boxes with pistons had identical labeling but three of the four pistons were large polymer lumps, probably suitable for a school bus. I now have only one steel piston like the originals.
I call S1 to return the three polymer lumps, no problem. But, horror, they only have two more in stock! So i get those ordered. I then order another single one from Supplier 2 (S2).
S1sends the 2 new ones and, in retrospect not surprisingly, they were also from a school bus. i call and return them. I have now paid freight for one piston (scottish) and paid a higher amount for the other one which was on its way, really another freight charge for another single piston.
I now have 1 piston in possession from S1, with one on order from S2. I order two more from Supplier 3 (S3). I receive 3 confirmations immediately and find i somehow i have ordered 6 pistons (i did not do this!). I call them next day and i'm told they were going to call me to tell me they had none in stock and they would refund me (they had already billed me for 6 non-existent pistons apparently). I need to follow up on this with S3.
I now panic and try to order two more from S2 but they only had one in stock - i order it; at least i'll have three (1x S1 and 2x S2).
I find another source, Supplier 4 (S4), who has a different brand so i order a pair, paying even more freight, with the intention of canceling the last single order from S2. I try to cancel that but can't and it's coming anyway despite being quoted a week delivery time, but i can return it at my cost...
First piston from S2 arrives, it would fit perfectly in the caliper of a school bus. I return it for a full refund. I am waiting for the second one to arrive from S2 which i fully expect to be for the school bus.
I try to order a further one from S4 but find they are out of stock, however, a day later they showed stock so i bought one, paying more damn freight.
Current status: In two days time i expect 3 pistons from S4, in two orders, which are a different brand to the one i have from S1. I have paid probably 2.5 times what i expected to and i have only a promise of a refund from S3 of more than twice what i expected to pay for the whole job. This from a company that when i called to tell them about the triple transaction actually immediately addressed me by my first name - i think i might be their first customer.
I cannot wait til Friday. Think i might buy a school bus.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I don't know what to tell you without mentioning names but I have ordered replacement brake parts from a few ebay supplier, welshent, and some of the other popular suppliers and never had any issues.

It would be useful to edit your post and inset some breaks to make it easier to read your post.

Pics when you start the actual rebuild!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default Why not get a ready rebuit?

Why not get a ready rebuilt caliper? I've got a great independent auto parts store near me who usually get me parts the same day for a price. On the frugal side, when I'm not in a rush I use rockauto.com. They have ready rebuilts for a bit less than 60$ plus shipping I've done many Jaguar front and rear calipers replacements with rockauto centric stuff and it always seems to work out.

Lately I'm having no luck on eBay either because, to me...it seems enthusiasts sellers have been pushed aside by low priced drop shippers who's catalogs are incorrect. Yes you get a refund but the wasted time and return shipping really eat into any savings from dealing with these sellers in the first place.

As I see it....a seal kit costs at least 30$ and pistons are at least 12$ each for a total of 78$ minimum...add in, bleeders, hardware, multiple shipping costs, time, labor, frustration and I just don't see how caliper rebuilding is a viable DIY endeavor considering a reman set can be at your door in a day or two for 111$ + refundable core fees and a warranty. Then bolt in, bleed, job done!

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-13-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

If you don't have time or money for pistons that may be the way to go. We already know how some people are about dropping in replacements instead of doing some simple repairs, but personally $30 for a seal kit and maybe 8 dollars in paint would be my choice. The labor to remove them is the same and I can spend about 30 minutes cleaning them up and painting.

I've had all 4 calipers off my car and none of the (what 12 pistons?) were in need of replacing.

Shipping should be free on seal kits as they weigh basically nothing.

So you have to pay more and have the least work involved and have to ship your cores back or you can take them off, clean them, and replace the seals for 30-40 dollars. I'd do that all day.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 03-13-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-13-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Yes ICS I disagree with you. Seeing as the vast majority of your posts have no point but to disagree with everyone else, I don't know why you would be surprised.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Yes ICS I disagree with you. Seeing as the vast majority of your posts have no point but to disagree with everyone else, I don't know why you would be surprised.

Its a discussion forum....so disagreements are ok therefore I'm not supprised. I'm a firm believer in the dialectical method of discourse and appreciate disagreements and discussion in an effort to establish truth from a set of reasoned arguments.

You're argument is that...you can often and reliably rebuild a set of calipers properly for about 30$ and in 30 minutes. While suggesting broadly, that replacement pistons, pipes hardware and there associated costs are seldom necessary based on your singular experience. I don't see that as reality in most cases but by suggesting so does add to the discussion, attacking me and making it personal adds nothing.

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-14-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Its a discussion forum....so disagreements are ok therefore I'm not supprised. I'm a firm believer in the dialectical method of discourse and appreciate disagreements and discussion in an effort to establish truth from a set of reasoned arguments.

You're argument is that...you can often and reliably rebuild a set of calipers properly for about 30$ and in 30 minutes. While suggesting broadly, that replacement pistons, pipes hardware and there associated costs are seldom necessary based on your singular experience. I don't see that as reality in most cases but by suggesting so does add to the discussion, attacking me and making it personal adds nothing.
Good job assuming I haven't rebuilt dozens of calipers to base this opinion on. I already stated the labor involved removing and installing the calipers is the same. Popping the pistons out, inspecting the pistons and calipers, and reinstalling them with new seals doesn't take long at all.

I don't know what pipes hardware or pipes and hardware you are talking about ,but that cost is not related to rebuilding/replacing the caliper itself. unless you mean the pipe that joins the calipers which is very highly unlikely damaged

Of the probably 30-40 calipers I have rebuilt the only ones that needed new pistons were my 68 MGB that sat outside since 1976 and any ford with those stupid ****ing plastic pistons that swell over time.

Cleaning and painting or coating the calipers is not at all necessary, and could be left out if the person wanted to save time or money. All I was stating was that your idea of 100-120 dollars being cheaper than buying a rebuild kit is not at all true and the time saved is pretty much offset by having to deal with taking the old calipers to the post office.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 03-14-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Enough guys.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

All I was stating was that your idea of 100-120 dollars being cheaper than buying a rebuild kit is not at all true and the time saved is pretty much offset by having to deal with taking the old calipers to the post office.

With all due respect to the moderator I feel compelled to reply because
I never said it was cheaper to buy a ready rebuilt. If you go back and read my post I suggested a proper DIY rebuild would cost 78$ minimum and ready rebuilts would cost 111$ minimum. 78$ for DIY is still less than 111$ Right? kudos to your for pointing out a cheaper and less comprehensive shortcut way to repair this vital piece of safety equipment. As to the core return time... couldn't the old calipers be taken back to where ever they needed to go on the test drive? I would presume its prudent to do a at least one careful and somewhat comprehensive test drive after a major brake service.

Also keep in mind that I made my comments after the OP acknowledged he needed pistons and had spent a considerable amount of time on the phone and sending incorrect things back. I started my post with the question "Why not get a ready rebuilt caliper?" I guess for you its the cost and the belief that replacing just the seals is good enough and cleaning is "Not at all necessary", and the hardware that the holds the pads in isn't important enough to replace, and there couldn't be any internal corrosion on cross over pipes. However I wonder what the OP's reasoning is?

I find it interesting you've rebuilt so many calipers and need to replace so few pistons. I've had the opposite experience. Just about every caliper I've disassembled was pitted and needed pistons. Perhaps up here in the north east the use of road salt makes that so.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

oh goody sounds like the start of a new pissing contest

where's Doug ?

Old 03-15-2014, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

the only mandatory part is the seal kit, $6.49 x 2 at rockauto.com

the pistons are an unknown until the calipers are disassembled.

given a choice between rebuilT and rebuilD i will choose to do it myself every time.

the reason is that i know what core i am starting with, i know what parts have been changed,i know what i have done and i know it's going to fit

factory rebuilts may be nice and shiny but a shiny part is not necessarily a new part.

when it comes to calipers, this is definitely true of steel pistons. they are disassembled, thrown into bins, cleaned and bead blasted. new pistons are used only if there are no used pistons available. the caliper body might even be put aside until a supply of used pistons become available.

my rebuilds might be not quite as shiny on the outside, but i know for a fact that
the insides are as good as i can make it.

Last edited by plums; 03-15-2014 at 03:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (07-23-2017)
Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

With all due respect to the moderator I feel compelled to reply because
I never said it was cheaper to buy a ready rebuilt. If you go back and read my post I suggested a proper DIY rebuild would cost 78$ minimum and ready rebuilts would cost 111$ minimum. 78$ for DIY is still less than 111$ Right? kudos to your for pointing out a cheaper and less comprehensive shortcut way to repair this vital piece of safety equipment. As to the core return time... couldn't the old calipers be taken back to where ever they needed to go on the test drive? I would presume its prudent to do a at least one careful and somewhat comprehensive test drive after a major brake service.

Also keep in mind that I made my comments after the OP acknowledged he needed pistons and had spent a considerable amount of time on the phone and sending incorrect things back. I started my post with the question "Why not get a ready rebuilt caliper?" I guess for you its the cost and the belief that replacing just the seals is good enough and cleaning is "Not at all necessary", and the hardware that the holds the pads in isn't important enough to replace, and there couldn't be any internal corrosion on cross over pipes. However I wonder what the OP's reasoning is?

I find it interesting you've rebuilt so many calipers and need to replace so few pistons. I've had the opposite experience. Just about every caliper I've disassembled was pitted and needed pistons. Perhaps up here in the north east the use of road salt makes that so.
the hardware is related to replacing the pads, which again does not have to be done.
Same thing with the cleaning. I am not speaking from a personal perspective but from a shop perspective. If it was cheaper time wise to rebuild calipers on a certain vehicle that is what would be done. Other than insuring the bore is clean and pistons are in good condition, removing all rust and repainting a caliper is purely cosmetic. Unless specified a caliper rebuilt as a service would not include new pads and hardware. It would be recommended to the customer but the old pads and hardware would work just as they did before.

suggesting simply rebuilding is somehow a halfass job is ridiculous. The only working part of the caliper is inside, which is what is being checked and the seals which are being replaced along with the dust boot to protect the seal. The outside appearance of the caliper means nothing. Also, talk about doing things right, I would much rather not have to time to clean the outside of my calipers and make sure they are properly rebuilt on the inside than taking remanned ones for more money. I have seen too many reman parts fail (a buddy recently went through 4 reman master cylinders)...if it costs less or if you can buy the rebuild kit at all, I would always prefer to do it myself so I know it was done correctly.

As I said in my initial post his post is hard to read. Even just now looking for it I didn't see where he mentioned his pistons being pitted the first time. Maybe I just need to find my glasses. My mistake giving general advice and not addressing those problems specifically as I didn't pick up on them.

I guess I'm just bothered lately by all the people who are quick to totally throw something away instead of fixing it and I was quick to assume that is what you meant ICS, based on your motor swap post. (hell why not put camaro calipers on it since they are already off?lol jk)
Recently been helping haul a friend around town because he didn't want to fix his car and had the junk yard pick it up instead.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Why not get a ready rebuilt caliper?

At this point I'll wager that the OP, Texasscot, wishes he had taken that route.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I guess I'm just bothered lately by all the people who are quick to totally throw something away instead of fixing it and I was quick to assume that is what you meant ICS, based on your motor swap post. (hell why not put camaro calipers on it since they are already off?lol jk)

Then I'd say you're being bothered for no reason at all, to be honest.

The pro and cons of using already rebuilt calipers is one discussion but, if you choose to go that way it can hardly be described as a "throw it away" mentality.

Recently been helping haul a friend around town because he didn't want to fix his car and had the junk yard pick it up instead.

Then maybe you oughta direct your anger towards HIM .

ISscamerica did nothing but suggest an alternative that probably would've worked out very well for the OP had he taken that route to begin with! He'd probably be *driving* his Jaguar right now rather than waiting for the delivery truck to arrive.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. We all develop automotive repair methods (and personal opinions) based largely on prior experiences. Other considerations might factor in, sure, but usually if we have good luck with a particular method that's what we stick with. Thus, you advocate strongly for DIY caliper rebuilding.

Just a guess but after reading his trials and tribulations I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the OP swears off DIY caliper rebuilding forever. Would you blame him if he did? Would you characterize him as one of those "thrower awayer" types that bother you so much?

Lighten up a bit, would ya?

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
icsamerica (03-15-2014), JayJagJay (07-23-2017)
Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

FYI: Just finished my rear caliper rebuild on my 89 xjs. Besides my time and occasional frustrations getting them off and back on, my cost was about $25.00 bucks as I only needed the seal kits and some caliper paint. There was almost no pitting on the pistons. My only question now is to find the size of the bleed screws so I can install some Speed Bleeders for a one man brake bleed ??
Ken

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kenatofc
FYI: Just finished my rear caliper rebuild on my 89 xjs. Besides my time and occasional frustrations getting them off and back on, my cost was about $25.00 bucks as I only needed the seal kits and some caliper paint. There was almost no pitting on the pistons. My only question now is to find the size of the bleed screws so I can install some Speed Bleeders for a one man brake bleed ??
Ken
how much are speed bleeders? 10?20 dollars?

A hand vacuum pump for bleeding by yourself is like $20-30 dollars and you can then use it on any car you'd like.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi all, OP here.

I thought I’d provide an update on my caliper re-build status but first I’ll provide the reason for my post, with a bit of background. It was meant to amuse. Who doesn’t like wallowing in someone else’s misery? It certainly wasn’t intended to start WW3!

Status update: Job done, photos before and after attached. All-in theoretical* cost was $108.32 for two completely refurbished calipers. *I still have outstanding monetary issues to resolve…

I look at this car as a project, more of a therapeutic journey than a destination. It helps to keep me sane by providing, on a regular basis, real engineering challenges (which give a greater sense of accomplishment than dealing with MS Office and all that goes with it). Why would I let someone take this pleasure from me by buying rebuilt calipers? And, besides, I’d never done calipers before (nor a differential, but that’s still another story).

Kenatofc: For speed bleeders, Dorman Part # 12701, one pair $10, off the shelf at O’Reilly’s.

Sidescrollin: I understand your economic argument but I put in the speed bleeders instead of buying a suction pump owing to cash flow problems caused by the piston nightmare – and my wife put me on “nothing over $10”.

Doug: Re my wishing I’d taken alternate route – for a time, possibly, but not at all now!

To all: Thanks for all the help and the entertainment, great fun as always.

Attached Thumbnails Rear brake caliper rebuild - Another Jaguar tale-img_0343.jpg   Rear brake caliper rebuild - Another Jaguar tale-img_0302.jpg   Rear brake caliper rebuild - Another Jaguar tale-img_0315.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by texasscot:
JimC64 (03-19-2014), Norri (03-19-2014)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Hello All.

Thanks Tex!

I come here looking for clear instructions, ideas, insights, experience and good ol fashioned know how... The bickering sucks. Pls refrain. We silly people (me) don't get the good stuff we really need and came here for - thru all of that. Ya know?

Still looking for some step by step. I have two front calipers to rebuild in the next week... Have seal kits coming and I am trying to prepare for what I might be getting myself into.

Cheers

Old 07-23-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

I,m with JJJ.
I have ordered brakes for my 1993. Rotors, Pads, Seal, Pistons. so far I have received rear rotors and pads. I don't know if they will fit because a 1993 is supposed to have outboard brakes and mine has inboard. I think Jag had some leftovers and stuck them on my car. So in most cases I ordered 1992 parts and looked for their use on a 1993 as well. I don't know if I have the right parts or not because I haven't started dismantling the car!
I ordered OP brand and hope that that does not stand for Other Peoples. Will follow up with suppliers and their products.
Maybe it is time to start a reliable parts' dealer list for EBay and other discount suppliers. I know that there are quality NON DISCOUNT supplies out there, but some of them think that their products are made of gold and charge by the pound, if luck is with you.

The other caution is Chinese parts from China. if you buy a part from a Chinese's supplier, if it's wrong forget about the return; you will have to get a loan to pay for the return postage to China.

My sympathies to Texasscot I just hope that I didn't pick the same supplier!

Last edited by afterburner1; 07-23-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear brake caliper rebuild - Another Jaguar tale