XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Removing the air cleaner cover -- yank it up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Removing the air cleaner cover -- yank it up?

After unbuckling the top two fasteners of the black air cleaner cover, it opened up (as much as space allows), but it does not come off.

I tried to wiggle it gently and pull it up (also gently). It still did not come off.

I did not try to apply more pressure for the fear of breaking something at the bottom (which I cannot see).

Should I just yank it up, with more force?

Or is there a trick?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Remove the air filter element first and then the lid will lift up and forward, it is fiddly and requires a bit of to and froing.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:44 AM

Got it! Thanks!

Removing the air filter element (or, should I say, aligning it with the top cover) did the trick!

(Now I don't remember if the side with the bigger cutout or no-cutout (metal backing) should be positioned to be aligned with the round hole inside the part the remained )

Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by v1rok
Got it! Thanks!

Removing the air filter element (or, should I say, aligning it with the top cover) did the trick!

(Now I don't remember if the side with the bigger cutout or no-cutout (metal backing) should be positioned to be aligned with the round hole inside the part the remained )
The element should be marked with arrow to front. Metal shield must be facing throttle butterfly to prevent any chance of element being being sucked in and jamming butterfly.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Yes, I saw the arrow pointing 'Front'

But then I noticed that if I do this, the metal backing would be against the round opening inside. I thought (obviously incorrectly &#128533 that that should not be the case because then the metal backing of the air filter would prevent air flow it was designed to provide... So, decided to ask, to be sure.

Oh, well... I guess there is a reason engineers designed it this way.,,