XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Repair rubber bumper cover 1993 xjs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Repair rubber bumper cover 1993 xjs

Had a minor accident and tore the end of the right side bumper in two places. Nothing was detached and the breaks were about 2 to 3 inches long.
I was surprised to find that the cover was made of rubber and not plastic. I assumed the whole world is plastic. The cover removal is easy. You just loosen the front bolts on the under side and remove two bolts from each end. There are four spring loaded clips that holds the top of the bumper. They too are on the underside. Unscrew the lights and the license plate and remove the cover. Now the repair!
I went to my local car part monger and asked for a tube patch. The result were funny, all tires are tubeless and they were unaware of an unknown tube patch. An old guy, about my age, shuffled up and said to the "Kid" go in the back room and in an old brown box you'll find the patches!" Took them home snugged up the parts and applied the patches on the inside of the cover IAW the directions on the package. The patches bonded to the cover perfectly. To cover the cracks on the outside I used "Bondo, 806,3M." A flexible black epoxy that sticks well and sands well.
Since this is a work in progress I will stop here and pickup later when I finish the repair.....polish or paint???

Last edited by afterburner1; 04-09-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Picking up where I left off above.
Decided to paint the cover with a primer and color coat. Did not want to change appearance from OEM cover, but needed to cover the repairs made. I used SEM Flexible black primer spray and laid on two or three coats. Used 600 wet and dry sand paper and then used a satin black Duplicolor bumper spray and again two or three coats. Finished with 600 and 2000 wet and dry sand paper. The surface does not look painted and has a rubber OEM look. I am Very pleased with the outcome

Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Good for you. Nothing more rewarding than a job well done