XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Is this the source of my 'creaking' noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Is this the source of my 'creaking' noise?

I've been trying to hunt down a creaking sound that occurs randomly during take off from a full stop, but couldn't ever pin it down.

I noticed today that there is some damage on a piece of the rear suspension that I don't know the name of (see photo). Would that cause my creaking like noise?

Attached Thumbnails Is this the source of my 'creaking' noise?-img_4471.jpg  
Old 06-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Shouldn't cause the noise. That's a safety strap, it holds the radius arm up in case the rubber mount should ever fail.

The following users liked this post:
Mac Allan (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
That's a safety strap, it holds the radius arm up in case the rubber mount should ever fail.
Well that rings a bell!

Sure enough going back to my old thread:

Originally Posted by baxtor
Another possible cause while not common can lead to the "at take off" symptoms is a deformed safety strap on radius arm to body mount. I have seen them deformed inwards to the point where they only just clear in a standing position but when power is applied the radius arm moves slightly forward making contact with strap.
At the time, I didn't know exactly what he was referring to, and was distracted that maybe the exhaust was the cause.

I clearly have a deformed strap and it is nearly touching the radius arm. Can the safety strap be pounded back into shape, or does it have to replaced?

Old 06-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Received 303 Likes on 200 Posts

Bend it back in place. I wouldn't even take it off the car. A prybar or even a giant screwdriver would do it.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

I have the same creek at take-off, I sprayed my rear coil springs and everything I could reach in a sticky/oily anti-rust product and it seems to have mostly stopped. No idea what it was exactly but I think it was the coils.

I also had the same creek while parked as if a rear spring was slowly compressing and the car would move slightly but that seems to have gone away...probably need new springs I guess.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Mac . . . and also subject posts across other XJ platform variants. Great you have posted a good pic to show deformation clearly. I agree possible fix, but don't be surprised if strap tougher to correct than you expect.

Up to you, but I recommend supporting trailing arm near bush, then remove strap, straighten strap, replace . . . oh, and check other side!

Cause of this crush damage is both silly and preventable . . . lazy, ham fisted placement of floor jacks or hoist pads will bend the bar up instantly. Add to routine under-body check every time car is serviced.

Cheers,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Mac Allan (06-17-2017)