XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Starting '84 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting '84 XJS

Hey, guys. I recently bought an '84 XJS in Racing Green Metallic that's actually in decent shape on the exterior. The interior, on the other hand, has a long road ahead of it.

Name:  2011-09-10132144.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  107.4 KB
According to the guy I bought it from, about five years back it had a GM 400 small block engine swap and has mostly sat since although he claims it ran six months ago. I've had some issues with the electrical system, including a wire attached to the alternator that nearly caught on fire.
Name:  2011-09-11131437.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  35.7 KB

I've replaced the motor oil and filter, the battery, the alternator and alternator belt and redid the wiring that caused what took place in the picture, but the engine still doesn't fire. With the battery hooked up, there is a somewhat loud buzzing sound from the dash (not sure if this is routine or not) and about half the time, the starter makes a fast clicking noise after only about a half turn on the engine. I've already ordered a new starter relay, because I believe this is at least part of the issue, but I wanted to see what advice you guys would have because I only have a week experience with the car. Thanks for any help and I'm already in love with the XJS-running or not.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

My first thoughts are weak battery or poor connections at the battery and/or starter.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the engine swap was done by a backyard hack or by a professional, so you may be chasing problems for awhile.
If the wire to the alternator is melted it obviously has to be replaced, but SOMETHING caused it to short out. As Doug pointed out it could be a loose connection in the battery cables forcing most of the electric current through the alt-wire.
If it was me, I would disconnect the alt wire, check battery terminals and cables including the connection to the starter and see if you can get it to turn over with the alternator disconnected. By isolating it like this you'll be less likely to do more damage.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the engine swap was done by a backyard hack or by a professional, so you may be chasing problems for awhile.
If the wire to the alternator is melted it obviously has to be replaced, but SOMETHING caused it to short out. As Doug pointed out it could be a loose connection in the battery cables forcing most of the electric current through the alt-wire.
If it was me, I would disconnect the alt wire, check battery terminals and cables including the connection to the starter and see if you can get it to turn over with the alternator disconnected. By isolating it like this you'll be less likely to do more damage.
At least part of the problem was related to the metal ring connected to the alternator itself (only a small portion was still connected) Like I mentioned above, I have already replaced the wiring and soldered/insulated it. Is there a good way to check the lines themselves? thanks again for the help.