XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Are there any other forums with more activity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any other forums with more activity?

I was wondering if any of you could give mea tip on any other Jaguar forums that may have more members/activity. No offense please, but this forum is kind of dead without much activity.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Are there any other forums with more activity?

I think it's fairto characterize this forum as 'new school', with many participants focused more on X and S Types than is evident at other sites. JagLovers is more 'old school' by comparison...just keep in mind that some of the poobahs are senile or self-credentialed experts.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Also Jaglovers has a odd forum set up making it more of a pain to use.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

ORIGINAL: ArmyJag

Also Jaglovers has a odd forum set up making it more of a pain to use.

It is oddball, yes. I think because it is set up for email interface. I prefer email so its no problem for me

Most the people there are nice but, yeah, there are a few....um....er... strong minded individuals whohave a problem differentiating between opinion and fact. But its been around since '94 or something like that so there's lots of good archived info...you could probably get all the answers and info you'd everneed from archive searches and never have to interact with anyone if you didn't want to

Cheers
DD

Old 12-29-2008, 04:50 PM

I'm so used to uBB format that I had difficulty navigating jaglovers.org.That was actually one of the main reasons I joined here

Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM

same here lol

Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I like Jag-lovers, and find it very easy to use. I also like this forum, so, I'm not trying to make anyone mad. This forum has 4742 registered users, which, according to recent posts, most apparently only used it once or twice, and went away. Also, it seems most members are here in the US, with a few from other countries. Jag-lovers has 74,963 registered members, and I suspect a large number of those also came and went after gleaning a little help. They've also been around since 1993, and have members virtually around the world, anywhere Jags were sold, or owned. So Doug is absolutely correct in that you could educate yourself off the archives alone. Opinions are like A__holes, and everyone certainly has one, and, we can learn something from everyone. It may be "what not to do", but you can certainly learn from everyone. Its up to the individual user to decide if information provided is of use or not. Certainly, there are members of both forums that have strong opinions, right or wrong, but, thats hardly the point. The point is, we all share the same interest, Jaguars! The wealth of information passed around on these two, as well as several other forums that I visit, is worth their weight in gold. Not everyone has the resources, orthe inclination, to take their cars to dealers every time a minor problem occurs. Plus, most, it seems, would prefer to care for their pride and joy themselves. I know I do. Course I'm a cheap old fart that would rather spend money on parts, than labor. As for the Jag techs, I personally don't see why they do what they do on the forums, but, I for one appreciate them more than words can express. I do understand that they want to be of assistance to fellow Jag enthusiast, (thanks guys), and being part of a fraternity of Jag lovers (pardon the use of that), but don't we all love our Jags? Just my two cents worth.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Yeah. What Keith said

I belong/have belonged to a slew of forums, including several Jag-specific ones. I like all of them. Each develops its own personality and each has it's place, I reckon, in the grand scheme of things. "To everything there is a season" so to speak. This one, for example, leans towards newer Jags. I frequent another that is more "chat" than technical. Etc, etc.

As for the professional techs who contribute, well, my hat's off to them. I've been in the auto repair/parts business my entire adult life and I can assure you that only a very small percentage of techs would give so freely of their expertise. I don't say that as a criticism, it's just that most close their toolboxes at 5:00 and call it a day.

As for older Jags, well, I am 100% convinced that the internet and the discussion forums are directly responsilbe for keeping a lot more of them on the road for us to enjoy.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 PM

As for the professional techs who contribute, well, my hat's off to them. I've been in the auto repair/parts business my entire adult life and I can assure you that only a very small percentage of techs would give so freely of their expertise. I don't say that as a criticism, it's just that most close their toolboxes at 5:00 and call it a day.

As for older Jags, well, I am 100% convinced that the internet and the discussion forums are directly responsilbe for keeping a lot more of them on the road for us to enjoy.

Doug, these last two statements of yours is exactly what I was trying to express! You did a little better job of it than I did. Your last statement couldn't be more correct.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the help on this forum very much. It's just a bit quite some times lol. It's the only place I really go for cruising jag info.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:06 AM

I think its a bit quite sometimes, primarily because of the low number of registered members, minus the one time, or seldom users. I think someone mentioned there being, maybe, 33 active members. The General Tech section gets a lot of response, where, in reality, their posts should be broken down to the individual "Model" sections. The individual sections would therefore be a little busier. I'm not an anti-social person, but, I don't really come to the forums for the banter so much as the useful information to keep my two Jags running, plus any future problems that may arise, (Archives). I tend to spend most of my forum time on the two areas that interest me, which is the two types of vehicles I own, XJ-6, and XJS, plus the classifieds, since I'm always interested in a good deal, again on the two areas of interest. Going to one Jaguar forum is fine, but in my case, when one does get a little slow, or not covering an area I'm looking for, one of the other sites generally do.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 PM

How do I access a techs advice? I have asked a few questions to help diagnose a headlight problem and convertible top problem and recieved no advice that sounded like it was coming from a knowledgable tech. Is there a special part of the forum for this? I just posted on the XJS forum. Any help would be appreciatted. I RARELY take any of my cars to a tech but I may have to for the electrical problems on this car. It is SO different than most cars electrical that I am lost with all the relays etc.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 PM

Actually a Jag-Tech posted a well thought out response to your headlight thread. You can tell which ones are actual Jag Techs by the logo below their username.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM

You are correct. I retract and apologize for saying that a tech did not respond. I just went back and checked and I must have missed it when it was originally posted. JAGTECHOHIO was right on the money. I just went out to the garage and did what he suggested and diagnosed that it is indeed the relay. Thanks JAGTECHOHIO for your help!