XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Thinking of purchasing my first XJS

Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing my first XJS

1994 Jaguar XJS 6.0L Cabriolet, $3,395 - Cars.com

So I'm in the market for my first XJS and I've landed on this one. It's a 94 V12 and I went and took a look at it a few days ago.

The good:
-The engine starts right up and it runs smooth
-All of the electrics work
-Aside from a few rust stains on the battery compartment (which can be wiped away with a piece of scotch-brite), there's no rust on the body or chassis
-The wheels look great, though the tires need to be replaced (good news for me, the tires are a fairly common size, so the replacement cost there isn't too bad)
-The brakes are new
-The interior smells clean with no hint of mold or muskiness
-The transmission is smooth

The bad
-The heatshield under the hood is torn. I'd need to replace it before it ruins the paint
-The seats need work, but that's just a cosmetic issue for me.
-The A/C blows hot
-There's something leaking from between the engine and the firewall. I think it's a fuel leak, because the smoke is slightly bluish and the smell of raw fuel is pretty heavy when the hood is up
-The big problem: After 10 minutes or so, the engine begins to stall. The trouble starts slowly and you can hear the engine choking. Pressing the accelerator solves the issue for a minute or so, but eventually the engine does stall. It starts back up and runs again for a few minutes, but it stalls again.

I've been scouring the web for specific information and all I seem to get are people who are either completely pro-V12 or anti-V12. I've got the Alldata information, which is helpful, but it doesn't have a very good search function on it. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty (I'm a Millwright by trade, but my specialty is in industrial machinery, not cars), and since the engine doesn't seem to have any trouble starting, I am almost certain that it's not a potentially catastrophic issue, provided it's fixed soon.

Another issue is the fact that this car is located in Boone, NC and I live near Tampa, Florida, so I'd need to figure out the best way to transport it the 600 miles or so. My brother, who is working with me here in NC, has offered to use a towbar and his truck, but if I do get this car, I'm leaning more towards getting it towed on a flatbed or something similar.

The dealer who is selling it has suggested that the issue with it stalling might be bad gas, but if that was the case then it seems strange to me that they wouldn't attempt such a quick and easy fix (as opposed to selling the car for much less than what they could get in parts alone). The dealer also told me that the reason for the low price was because:

a) the car could potentially be a project car. His code readers don't work on it for some reason, and the problems could be cheap or ridiculously expensive to fix

b) he doesn't want to store it through the winter. He just wants it gone.

Thank you for your time, and your feedback.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Sounds like a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. I read your whole post and think you have it about right. The 1994 6.0 V12 with 4 speed 4l80e is a great combo. There are legions XJS owners here that wish they had that combo. I think it's a buy if you want the XJS experience. Perhaps you could have the dealer deliver it, he may know someone who can deliver the car for a wholesale price. The car is worth that price as a parts car so I don't think you can go wrong if it is as you described. Make sure the tail lights are not cracked. They cost many hundreds to replace each.

Last edited by icsamerica; 09-07-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

It most likely is something fairly simple. I bet there aren't many guys willing to work on that car in Boone. Great price though, even with its problems. When I bought my XJS, it came from Ft Lauderdale. I used uShip to get bids for hauling it to Greenville SC. I think I wound up paying 530.00. I calculated the gas, and it would have cost me that much to take a trailer down there and get it, drive back. Not to mention my time, wear and tear, and the potential for something going wrong.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

I just bought an XJS a couple of weeks ago and flew up to Syracuse, NY to pick it up and drive it home. Mine is a 96 w/the 4.0L. By the way I live in Venice, Fl.

I would have to see the situation you have with the smoke and smell. I'm not an expert but I do a lot of Back Yard work on my cars. Never use a mechanic unless I have no option!!

Could be as simple as a fuel filter which is located below the firewall under the driver side of car (4.0L). I think this is where it is located, still getting familiar with the XJS. Since you have the V-12 it might be somewhere else. Could be plugged and takes a few minutes to build up pressure and cut out the engine.

My suggestion would be to get underneath the car while it is running and look for the smoke issue. Could be oil leak onto hot exhaust or ??

There might be a relay that kicks out if the pressure gets too high. After it sets and releases some of the pressure it starts back up.

I always try to look for the simplest and least expensive fix solution first. These things have some electronics and could be more complicated.

Hopes this helps a bit & Good Luck!!

Old 09-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll elaborate on the smoke issue. It took a few minutes, after the engine had begun to warm up, for any kind of smoke to be visible. It was a faint blue and it would dissipate almost immediately. I'm going to go look at the car again this Friday and if I'm still happy, then I'll probably end up getting it.

I've got a line on a 95 I6 near Atlanta for about $6500, and I know it sounds stupid, but I'd rather put in a little work and have the V12 than settle for something else. I just didn't want to get something that will cost me five or six thousand dollars to get into running condition.

Also, what code reader would you guys recommend, and where would I access the port? If I can get a reader before I go and look at it again, then I feel like it'd be worth it.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

The V12 cars are novel to own, but the 6 cylinder will give you more enjoyment most likely. I am on my 6th XJS, all V12s. But remember, the least expensive thing you will ever do, is purchase it. If you want to make a Jag nice, keep it up, it constantly requires money to be thrown at it.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

The '94 V12 is not OBD2 compliant so most/all modern code readers won't work. I believe you can get codes to display via the trip computer, someone more knowledgeable than I can advise.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger95
The '94 V12 is not OBD2 compliant so most/all modern code readers won't work. I believe you can get codes to display via the trip computer, someone more knowledgeable than I can advise.
I have the 4.0 in my 97 XJ6 and the V-12 in my XJS and while both entirely different cars I can say there is nothing like the V-12 for shear grin factor and pure enjoyment, come on, be serious, what guy on the planet doesn't want to say he owns a V-12?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry Roger I had no reason to quote you other then I was using my iPad and forgot to delete the "quote" as I piggybacked off it.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Had a similar smoking issue on my six cylinder. It was oil leaking out of the camcover gasket.

Obviously only occurred when the engine was hot. Wasn't a large enough leak to leave even a drop when parked. That was the six where there's actually room for something to get through the engine bay!

Old 09-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 190 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by MattB731
I'll elaborate on the smoke issue. It took a few minutes, after the engine had begun to warm up, for any kind of smoke to be visible. It was a faint blue and it would dissipate almost immediately. I'm going to go look at the car again this Friday and if I'm still happy, then I'll probably end up getting it.

I've got a line on a 95 I6 near Atlanta for about $6500, and I know it sounds stupid, but I'd rather put in a little work and have the V12 than settle for something else. I just didn't want to get something that will cost me five or six thousand dollars to get into running condition.

Also, what code reader would you guys recommend, and where would I access the port? If I can get a reader before I go and look at it again, then I feel like it'd be worth it.

Have you actually drove this car any at all.
Being in Boone NC you have the ideal geography for test driving, plenty of hills and such for a good spirited drive for about 30-60 minutes. If the dealer refuses to let you take it for a lengthily drive and you have no desire to invest numerous thousands on the car then you should walk away.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi Matt,

Welcome. Looks like you have found a great candidate with the 6.0L. Right off, for the asking price you have enough good parts to cover that price so the risk is pretty minimal. I would agree with prior feedback that the problem with the car stalling is most likely a fuel filter and the smoke most likely a small oil leak.

The issue of whether to buy a V-12 or 4.0L is really a personal choice. There are pros and cons to both but here are a few insights I can share on the car you are considering:

The V-12 is going to be a better high speed-highway performer. You really start to see the V-12 shine at highway speeds above 75mph on acceleration. If you are not planning on driving much at higher highway speeds then not much of an upside to the V-12. In fact the AJ16 4.0L XJS is actually faster off the line then the V-12.

Access is a big issue with the V-12 XJS. If you are not the type of person who wants to work on your car much then you really need to consider whether a V-12 XJS is the right set up for you. A 1994 with 107K is already 20 years old so even if the issue of the car stalling is something rather simple to correct you are still dealing with a older higher mileage car. You can expect that this car is going to require a good deal of attention to get things sorted out.

My understanding is the cooling system on the V-12 is critical as the V-12 does not like getting over heated. The problem with this 1994 XJS is it is stalling out so you really cannot tell if it is running hot. Another thing you need to consider is the cost to deal with the a/c not working.

My advice is do not under estimate the cost to bring a tired XJS up to an acceptable level both mechanically and cosmetically. What may seem like a good buy at first glance can quickly become a time and money pit. If you really do not want to work on a car much might be a better option to get a lower mileage well kept example. This applies to a V-12 or 4.0L.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

?

Last edited by JTsmks; 09-07-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

About the V-12; just think of the costs of running the "other" V-12...

Old 09-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

the fuel filter for the 5.3L v12 is in the trunk, behind the spare tire. the fuel pump is also in the trunk, next to/beneath the battery.
replacing these is a fairly simple swap, especially the filter.

if theyre in the same place on the 6.0 v12, seems like a simple option would be to have someone (dealer/friend/trusted mechanic) go in and swap them. probably wouldnt cost more than $200, including labor. if you could have this done prior to purchase, at least you could figure out the stalling issue before you spend thousands on a car that may have bigger issues.

as far as the AC goes, youre lucky its a convertible (i think). my coupe had a bad ac for the first 7 months of ownership. it was basically undriveable when it was hot out. also somewhat undriveable at highway speeds where wind noise through the windows made talking impossible. i spent ~$700 replacing all the piping/drier/condenser including a swap to r34. turned out the compressor still wouldn't remain engaged.
another mechanic swapped all the pipes/drier/condenser + compressor to the tune of ~$1300.
it was quite a spend, but now it works. it blows really cold. driving at speed is terrific. and its wonderful.
so, while it may be something simple and cheap to get it going, be prepared for the possibility of a hefty bill when trying to sort the AC.
and this does not include replacing the evaporator, which is located basically in the center of the car, requiring the entire dash to be removed. do a search on this forum for AC evaporator replace, and you'll get a sense of what it entails.

all that being said, if you want a v12, you should get one. i did. spent around 3200 for mine. flew to orlando to pick it up, drove it back to nyc. spent at least that much on it for various odds and ends (new batteries, alternator, coolant hoses, lights, etc.), including the AC overhaul, and i haven't second guessed myself once.

while the 6.0 is much desired around here, you might want to wait until you find one that's going to suit all your needs. engine/options/faults/price/location. ebay seems to be filled with more low-mileage examples asking premium prices right now than usual. but don't worry, there'll be one that suits you soon. maybe this is it, maybe not. only you know what you can handle.

The following 2 users liked this post by DrScientist:
1100me (09-12-2014), orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Wish it was 600m from me, I'd send my buddy, with the cash, out to get it, right now!

Rob.
2006 X Type Sport Wagon.
1987 XJ6 Daily driver.
Looking for a V12, BRG, XJS 'vert for under$4000 "delivered".

Last edited by 1100me; 09-10-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

I was just looking through the "94 XJS Update" file that I have. It states, "The fuel filter is relocated to the rear of the left front wheel well. A plastic shield covers the filter and allows easy access."

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of purchasing my first XJS-filter.jpg  

Last edited by Bill C; 09-10-2014 at 08:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill C:
1100me (09-12-2014), orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Please do not buy it unless (a) you want a hobby to tinker with and you don't really care about driving it on a daily basis and (b) you are ready to spend at least $10,000 (to $20,000 if you hire someone to do the work) to fix things as you discover problems.

That being said, at least this one seems to be in good shape body wise so that'll save you some money, and the V12 is definitely more interesting to own and some say it's more reliable too.

Last edited by lunagry; 09-11-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

As the owner of a 95 XJS 4.0L Convertible, I had a major problem with the fuel pump, that I had to replace and this was a nightmare job if ever there was one!

The fuel pump sits in the Top of The Tank and in order to replace the Pump, the fuel tank has to come out, or at least it does far enough so you can get to the Pump.

The Only (one of the Only!) problems being, that on the Convertible the Fuel Tank is located behind a Steel Baffle Plate, which is so precision cut, that when you have undone all the bolts.

You are only on the nursery slopes! almost every piece of trim has to come out and then you need to disconnect the fuel pumps underneath.

I could go on but suffice to say this is not a job for the faint hearted.

So if you are buying an XJS you either need loads of money, in order to have a garage/shop put it right for you, when (not if) it goes wrong or at least be willing to get out the Spanners.

As I also have a V12 it makes it easy to compare the two and the V12 is the better Car, by a Country Mile.

The Car you found 'looks' a cracker! and providing that She doesn't have a major mechanical problem, I would be forcing my money into that dealers hand before someone else does.

But having said that the XJS isn't everyone's cup of Tea!

You've really, really, really, got to want one, to the total exclusion of any other Car, Cos it's that type of Car!

And in case I forget to mention it, the V12 drinks Petrol like its going out of Style!

So providing that you can live with all that, what are you waiting for!

Old 09-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
As the owner of a 95 XJS 4.0L Convertible, I had a major problem with the fuel pump, that I had to replace and this was a nightmare job if ever there was one!

The fuel pump sits in the Top of The Tank and in order to replace the Pump, the fuel tank has to come out, or at least it does far enough so you can get to the Pump.

The Only (one of the Only!) problems being, that on the Convertible the Fuel Tank is located behind a Steel Baffle Plate, which is so precision cut, that when you have undone all the bolts.

You are only on the nursery slopes! almost every piece of trim has to come out and then you need to disconnect the fuel pumps underneath.

I could go on but suffice to say this is not a job for the faint hearted.

So if you are buying an XJS you either need loads of money, in order to have a garage/shop put it right for you, when (not if) it goes wrong or at least be willing to get out the Spanners.

As I also have a V12 it makes it easy to compare the two and the V12 is the better Car, by a Country Mile.

The Car you found 'looks' a cracker! and providing that She doesn't have a major mechanical problem, I would be forcing my money into that dealers hand before someone else does.

But having said that the XJS isn't everyone's cup of Tea!

You've really, really, really, got to want one, to the total exclusion of any other Car, Cos it's that type of Car!

And in case I forget to mention it, the V12 drinks Petrol like its going out of Style!

So providing that you can live with all that, what are you waiting for!
I also have a V12 (E type) and a AJ16 (XJS).

I would not call the V12 "better" myself. Its just different. I don' think anyone is really "anti" V12. I just think that some folks don't like it when the facts about maintenance are talked about.....It will require more attention than the AJ6/16. If you are ready and prepared for that and you desire a V12 then that is exactly what you should get. Its a great engine. The only problems come about when people don't know about the need for new fuel hoses, new wiring harnesses, or the need for cooling system modifications, etc...if you are unaware I would suggest you search the forum for key-words like "fuel hoses" "lutz modification or lutz mod" etc.

Good luck!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing my first XJS