XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Transmission Oil Cooler Lines Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Oil Cooler Lines Removal

Does the exhaust have to be dropped/removed in order to remove both trans oil cooler lines? One of them are leaking but I wish to replace both. There is a hydraulic hose place where I live that can make something as from what I understand these lines are hard to find. (saw some used ones on fleabay for $130.00)

Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

V12 or I6?

In case of the V12, the pipes (!) run along the side of the block. The are screwed directly into the transmission. There is no rubber along there. The only rubber is between the front end and the radiator.

So of you just want to rubbers replaced, you don't need to remove the block lines. If you want the block lines removed, then it would be easier to remove the exhaust manifolds BUT that can turn into a PITA. Might be easier to hack them off at the tranny end and replace them with some full rubber ones then...

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-29-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

would help if you put in the year and engine you have. as far as the tranny cooling lines, when I changed mine, the exhaust manifold did not have to come that is if you're only replacing the rubber portion. but for easy access you will have to remove the front spoiler and even better access some of the other parts under the front. I did have to buy completed lines already made for mine but had to cut and split the coupler at the cooler end due to it was corroded on.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not mention that it is a 96 convertible AJ16 4.0 engine

Old 09-28-2017, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by daverb
would help if you put in the year and engine you have. as far as the tranny cooling lines, when I changed mine, the exhaust manifold did not have to come that is if you're only replacing the rubber portion. but for easy access you will have to remove the front spoiler and even better access some of the other parts under the front. I did have to buy completed lines already made for mine but had to cut and split the coupler at the cooler end due to it was corroded on.
The oil cooler, that is under the front there, isn't the tranny cooler. OPen your bonnet and stand on the A bank side of the engine. Next to the thermostat housing are the cooler lines. They are both accessed from the top...

Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
The oil cooler, that is under the front there, isn't the tranny cooler. OPen your bonnet and stand on the A bank side of the engine. Next to the thermostat housing are the cooler lines. They are both accessed from the top...
Sorry, my mistake, I do not why I was thinking oil cooler. But do remember that the exhaust manifold did not have to come off when I did my oil cooler lines

Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

When I had the TH400 in my 91 one of the first things I did was get rid of the rad trans cooler. I cut off the two cooler lines at the trans removed the fitting, welded on 1/2 pipe threads & ran -6 AN fitting & ss braided line to a alum. tubular heat sink type cooler mounted below the front bumper. I had a temp gauge but can't remember the degree diff but did run cooler.