XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

u were right 1 solution fashed another issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default u were right 1 solution fashed another issue

1989 xjs. I did rebuilt my aac. it works!!! ok here is my issue. the car now idles at 700 rpms. yea!! thers now the problem. when i try to hold the gas peddle steady at lets say 3000 rpms the motor responds oddly. the rpms will range from 900 to 3000 rpms within a secound. if i apply the throttle rapidly the engine will rev right up to 5000 rpms with no issues! it just wont hold a steady rpm. in neutral or in gear. my throttle shaft bushings are gone. it looks like the previous owner replaced the tps. can this be out of adjustment or do they go in one place only? i hope the sloppy throttle shafts are the cause but im guessing not. back up a minute.. when i try to hold the throttle steady it smokes bluish/black out the driver side exhaust. also my temp gauge isnt working and i would like to replace it. is it the sensor with the single green wire on the pass. side about 6 inches back from the water neck? also where would i be able to buy one? i getting closer i hope. any help would be fantaskic.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 PM

i meant aav valve. heres the car

Attached Thumbnails u were right 1 solution fashed another issue-russ-phone-399.jpg   u were right 1 solution fashed another issue-russ-phone-398.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Anyone?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by worried n confused
1989 xjs. I did rebuilt my aac. it works!!! ok here is my issue. the car now idles at 700 rpms. yea!! thers now the problem. when i try to hold the gas peddle steady at lets say 3000 rpms the motor responds oddly. the rpms will range from 900 to 3000 rpms within a secound. if i apply the throttle rapidly the engine will rev right up to 5000 rpms with no issues! it just wont hold a steady rpm. in neutral or in gear. my throttle shaft bushings are gone.

The bushings gotta be replaced, the throttle linkages readjusted, and the throttle blades set to .002" clearance. Not 100% sure this will solve your problem but it very well might...and it needs to be done anyway.

it looks like the previous owner replaced the tps. can this be out of adjustment or do they go in one place only?

Yes, adjustable. You want about .35v at idle and about 5.0v at full throttle. Check voltage on the red and yellow wires at the TPS, key on, engine off. You'll have to back-probe the connector or pierce the wires with your meter probes

i hope the sloppy throttle shafts are the cause but im guessing not.

Don't be surpised if it IS the problem !

back up a minute.. when i try to hold the throttle steady it smokes bluish/black out the driver side exhaust.

Interesting....but I'm not sure if that relates to the problem. How much smoke?

also my temp gauge isnt working and i would like to replace it. is it the sensor with the single green wire on the pass. side about 6 inches back from the water neck? also where would i be able to buy one?

The the right sender, yes....single green wire. Any usual Jag supplier should have one. First, though, turn the key on and touch the green wire to ground. The gauge should go to the top. If it doesn't, the problem isn't the sneder...or you have more problems than just the sender. Sometimes the contacts at the back of the instrument cluster are corroded....or the gauge itself might be faulty.

i getting closer i hope. any help would be fantaskic.

Keep at it :-). When you get everything sorted you'll be a true Jag-Man :-)

Post back if needed for more details on any of the above

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
worried n confused (04-23-2011)
Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM

Played a bit today interesting finds..... Well for one a few friendly mice found their way to the spark plug wires. He dined on a few of them. Laying directly on the engine. Also I remeber being told to make sure I unhooked the vac lines to the dist. If I were to plug the intake at the air filter port. Well I forgot and
managed to suck a fair amount of oil into the dist cap. Probably a good reason for it to be running so bad. Also had a vac hose chewed from the cruise control to the switch at the pass side cleaner Assm. Now just waiting for a few more pArts

Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

The irony...mice attacking a big cat.
Nice car, looks good in white. I envy you your curvy roads (thinking of 61 through the coal).