XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

V12 snorkles

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default V12 snorkles

I know many, including me, have longed for better breathing on both ends for the V12. In my case I have opened up the exhaust side with replacement single catalytic converters on each side and removal of the resonators. Still I have looked at options on the front end such as the Growler intake kit. Current budget does not allow it.

Interestingly though I was watching an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" with Mike and Edd the other day. They bought a '64 Corvette with a 327. What caught my eye when the opened the hood was the dual snorkel air cleaner. The round tubes appeared to be almost identical in diameter to the ones one the V12. Of course both engines are the same displacement. Maybe those engineers in Detroit and Coventry both got their math right.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Manufacturers typically lean toward quietness rather than power....but as often as not modifications increase the former but not that latter.

I've experimented with lower restriction air intakes on various Jags and never really felt I gained much of anything in terms of power. Maybe a bit more at high ROM and wide open throttle. Certainly not an oh-my-god-what-a-difference type of thing

Cheers
DD

Old 07-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Here's a pic for those unfamiliar with Corvette air cleaners. This was the type used on the lower (250 and 300) horsepower variants. This higher power variants, which needed more breathing, used a different type

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails V12 snorkles-corvette-air-cleaner.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I've not messed with intake air for a time. But, over the years, leaned that many of the 'improved' systems merely made more noise. Noise is power ??? Nope, another lesson learned.

But, cooler air for the intake, aha, that is the way to go. Snorkels seek that cooler air.

At present, my Jeep as made, does better than my lump, as presently configured. A Hiflow knock off of a well known filter maker. but, alas, breathes in the engine bay.

Nice intake 'whoosh", but little if any better than the donor car's system.

I did omit a resonance chamber. Result, looks only.

Way back when, I did "improve" the intake on my freeway tank. A 57 Ford 1/2 ton powered by a Tbird 312. Off with the squat factory type AC.
On with one using two stacked paper filters. But, pre air temp import days. still in the engine bay. But, it was large.

That truck was a "Q" ship.

Carl

Carl

Old 07-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Have a look at what Jaguar (Ford) did with the XJ40 V12 and this is like the growler a larger radius into the TB.

Have a look at what this enterprising fellow did, I like his solution. I'll be using this on my 6.7L

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...es-v12-136567/

Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

yes, very enterprising and interesting. Sounds like the Growler system is a waste of time and money. I am partial to getting cooler air to the intake than the superheated air from under the hood. I may look at air intakes from various performance models to see if there is a relatively narrow, or I can make it narrow, and flat plastic piping that would fit above the headlights and provide a more direct flow of cooler air to the intake snorkels.

I still wish they had put some hood vents or front fender functional vents similar appearance to mid-late 70's Trans Am's to help dissipate the engine heat.