XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

V12 TPS on pedestal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default V12 TPS on pedestal

Afternoon Gents!

Slowly moving on with my project and I'm onto getting the pedastal and TPS sorted... Before I go ahead and simply buy a new TPS, is there a way to check and see if it works properly?

Also, as I want to get the base plate galvanized, I need to take the entire assembly apart. Is it a simple thing to rebuild and set the sensor? I've seen that the pedastal has a adjustment possibilities, like the pulley limit and the elongated holes for the TPS itself, but otherwise, if I undo the central two screws which hold the pulley in place, will it 'explode' in my face? And is it worth replacing the return spring?

Cheers guys!

Damien

PS: it's Xmas this weekend! Just in case you forgot

Old 12-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The TPS is a simple potentiometer so it can be checked with a DMM on the ohms setting.

There are 3 terminals (wires) Red (wiper), Green and Yellow Positive and ground respectively.

To Test the TPS

To test is with an ohm meter. I do not know what the ohm readings will be but the operation is more important.

Measure R (ohms) between green and yellow.

Measure R between red and yellow, with the wiper at one end the R should be very low almost short circuit.

With the wiper at the opposite end you should read close to the green – yellow R reading.

When moving the wiper through its range (SLOWLY) the reading should increase/decrease uniformly without jumping.

The following users liked this post:
Daim (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Warren, sorry for my late reply. Thanks for the basic idea how to do it. I can now at least try