XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wanting to set up the suspension, parts upgrade link NLA...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 AM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Wanting to set up the suspension, parts upgrade link NLA...

So I decided to go ahead and start sourcing some suspension parts this week and I remembered seeing a link online somewhere for a kit in the ~$2000 range that included an entire suspension rebuild/upgrade kit (poly bushings, shocks, rear sway bar, springs, etc.). I found it the last time by Googling, but it's not there. I want to say it was through DrivenMan.

I went directly to DM's website and all suspension components for a 1989 Jag are NLA. There's a rotating link at the top of the page that is supposed to carry you to a list of shocks for sale; it, too, is NLA. So either I've got the wrong site, DM's site is down or the products are truly no longer available.

So now I'm left to set it up all by myself. I can find bits and pieces on multiple sites (Jaguar Specialties, Welsh Enterprises, etc.) but there's too much knowledge here not to take advantage of, so I'm going to throw this out for suggestions based on what I want to do with the car:

* As much as I'm able, I'm trying to move away from GT cruiser and into a real handling machine. I'm not going to say price is not an object, but I will say that when I do builds, I throw my main resources behind handling and brakes. I'd rather it steer and stop than pick up and run.

* Would prefer to lower the car just a little, nothing major. Maybe an inch or two. Again, i think DrivenMan used to have a picture of a slightly lowered XJS on its site and it was aggressive without being obnoxious. So I'm looking for springs that are lower and stiffer than stock.

* I want the best shocks I can find. I can find Bilsteins, KYBs and Konis but I know nothing of the handling characteristics of each (I wish Tokico made Jag struts, but alas). Honestly not a KYB fan based on the product they offer for a Mitsubishi Starion.

* I want to get poly bushings, good ones, for as many applications as possible. Also want to add a rear sway bar (nothing oversized) and upgrade the front if necessary. Finding a strut tower brace wouldn't stink, either. The biggest issue here is I want to get a complete set of bushings, whatever "complete set" entails. I don't want to miss anything.

I'm also considering upgrading wheels/tires but that won't be done with this step. When I do upgrade wheels, I guess I'm going 17x8 unless someone tells me differently (17x7? 17x7.5?)

My performance background is in autocross and road course racing rather than oval track or straightline. Please tell me how you'd do it if it was your car, keeping my preferences in mind. Thanks.

Jess