XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Water Pump Update, Air Pump Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Water Pump Update, Air Pump Pipe?

Hi everyone, further to my post on replacing the water pump on a 95 convertible (4.0) a couple of weeks ago, it is almost all back together again, just waiting for the o ring for the thermostat, thanks to all for the advice and tips.

However I have a question relating to the air pump, I have what looks like a fluted/ribbed pipe coming out of the back of it and I cannot seem to locate where it attaches to. I am probably missing something really simple here. When I pulled the hoses off the water pump a cork and a small plastic piece of tubing fell to the floor so I thought that they were being used as stop/blank so to speak, but they do not fit into the pipe. The air pump never had a belt on it as in the diagram on the JEC site, and there is no pulley on the front of it and the original water pump did not have the facility for this belt. Any info or pictures of the set up on where this pipe goes would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully if I have done this correctly there should be a picture of the offending pipe and the cork etc.

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Update, Air Pump Pipe?-img_0503.jpg   Water Pump Update, Air Pump Pipe?-img_0505.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by gmacaz
Hi everyone, further to my post on replacing the water pump on a 95 convertible (4.0) a couple of weeks ago, it is almost all back together again, just waiting for the o ring for the thermostat, thanks to all for the advice and tips.

However I have a question relating to the air pump, I have what looks like a fluted/ribbed pipe coming out of the back of it and I cannot seem to locate where it attaches to. I am probably missing something really simple here. When I pulled the hoses off the water pump a cork and a small plastic piece of tubing fell to the floor so I thought that they were being used as stop/blank so to speak, but they do not fit into the pipe. The air pump never had a belt on it as in the diagram on the JEC site, and there is no pulley on the front of it and the original water pump did not have the facility for this belt. Any info or pictures of the set up on where this pipe goes would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully if I have done this correctly there should be a picture of the offending pipe and the cork etc.

the cork is from a wine bottle...( see the grape detail) the pipe (check for suction while pump is running if true then pipe goes to connection on air cleaner housing )

Old 02-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thank You.

Thanks so much, I have the air cleaner on the bench cleaning it up before refitting and I can clearly see the place to connect it to.
Less haste when taking things apart in future, and maybe some photos.

Again many thanks.

gmacaz