XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

where to do a refresh/rebuild of a 1988 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default where to do a refresh/rebuild of a 1988 XJS

I have the opportunity to get a relative's 1988 V12 XJS. It's one owner, under 75,000 kms and in great shape body wise.

The problem is that it's unreliable and because it always has been I'm sure there's a ton of gremlins lurking in this car with it's low use.

What I'd like to do is get a 'restoration' of this car so it would become a reliable grand tourer that my wife and I would feel comfortable doing a week long road trip in. A firm like KWE but in Canada/NE USA would be great. I'd be looking at a mechanical/electrical uplift, the body is almost perfect. The car's been a garage queen.

thx in advance

Old 06-06-2017, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Sum_Guy

In what way do you see the Car as being unreliable, what happens and what causes you to think that?

Is it to do with the Engine or stuff like the Brakes.

She may just need a good Service, New Spark Plugs and New Distro Cap etc.

No point in throwing your money around, if you don't really have to.

So if you would like to Post a few more details, then I am sure that we can hone in on the parts that may need attention.

Rather than to give a Shop a 'Blank Cheque'

Photos would also be great!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Define unreliable.

I've had in excess of 7 calls to towing companies (yay for automobile association free towing) in the space of 6500km for failed cam sensors, shattered bearing/hub assemblies, overheating, brake rotor shattering, etc.

I don't consider the car unreliable as it will red line and roar from a cold dead stop every time but there are always issues with taking the car from casual usage or in my case barn storage to daily driver.

Best thing I did when starting out was start using LiquiMoly CeraTec Friction Modifier and shop-vac the radiator out from every hole after running 4 different brands of flush product over the course of a few days.