XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Who has got the cheapest XJS Insurance?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Who has got the cheapest XJS Insurance?

My Last insurance quote for my Merc 190e was £201

But after doing a search on Compare the market, I was getting quotes around £100 fully comp with protected bonus and 5000-6000 miles per year. £150 XS

The XJS wasn't too different from that.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Talking

My insurance prices for this year (Jan) XJS = £95 and XKR = £154
I am quite happy with those. (via confused.com)

Last edited by Stumpy; 03-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stumpy
My insurance prices for this year (Jan) XJS = £95 and XKR = £154
I am quite happy with those. (via confused.com)
Similar story here, everyone seems to think that car insurance is going up, I used to pay around £250 fully comp for the XJS but now its just a smidgen over £100

Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,902 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I did a comparison and it varied from around the £100 mark to over £2500: how can there be such a disparity?
It's just a game, a big gamble that we (the punter) have to take in the hope that the insurers will play ball in the event of a claim.
Can you take out insurance to insure against your insurers not paying the insurance?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
I did a comparison and it varied from around the £100 mark to over £2500: how can there be such a disparity?
It's just a game, a big gamble that we (the punter) have to take in the hope that the insurers will play ball in the event of a claim.
Can you take out insurance to insure against your insurers not paying the insurance?
Tell me about it!

Some old biddy drove into the side of my Merc in a virtually empty Car Park.

My Car was parked and locked up and I was no where near it when this 'Accident' happened.

When She got home she denied it all and her insurance company refused to pay for the damage to my car.

Now (a lesson here for everyone I think) I had legal Protection (never again!)

My Insurance company wanted to do what in the UK is known as knock for knock, where insurance companies pay for each others damage.

Why? Because its the easiest way for them, so they don't have to throw money at it.

They even wanted to write off my Merc as an uneconomic repair.

Because I had legal protection, they seemed to think it gave them the right to settle the claim how they wanted, even though I insisted that they did not pay up.

I then (unwittingly) went and threw a spanner in the works by telling this Woman I would be taking her to the Small Claims Court which apparently invalidated my legal protection (thank the lord!)

Because I was essentially, sticking my oar in and in doing so taking it right out of their hands.

Which is when She decided to pay up!

Anyone else had a Car Insurance 'Nightmare'?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just moved back to UK from abroad, and as it was a pain to find an insurere that accepted foriegn no claims, I started from 0!!.. So 36yrs old, 3.6XJS zero no claims............................................ ..... £115.00

I (almost) went out and bought my wife one!!!

Mark

Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mefoote
I have just moved back to UK from abroad, and as it was a pain to find an insurere that accepted foriegn no claims, I started from 0!!.. So 36yrs old, 3.6XJS zero no claims............................................ ..... £115.00

I (almost) went out and bought my wife one!!!

Mark
That is just plain bonkers! Was that a bargain or what!

I just had to keep reading my latest quote over and over again, to the point where I felt so guilty, I was even thinking of giving them a bit more!

But I managed to talk myself out of that act of stupidity!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Insurance Quotes

When I bought my '89 XJS a year ago, and being in Canada I was fearful the "Exotic" nature of the car going to cost me a fortune to unsure properly. The previous owners had faithfully had the car appraised by an independant appraisal firm, and the certificates still show an appraised value of $24,500.00 plus 13%HST, hard to believe. When I showed this to my insurance lady, she said she would cover that value against total loss if I paid the premium accordingly, of $900.00 -Second option would be to have the car valued at high Red Book value, which was $13,400.00, costing me $520.00 with full coverage. -I chose that option. I will still be getting the car appraised this spring, just to maintain this record, just in case.
Hell, my Ford Freestar minivan costs me $900.00/yr to insure, and my full dress Harley Davidson is $700.00/ yr.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Gregh, I paid $305 on my XJS in Ontario last year through Hagerty Collector Car Insurance

But I think they're not in your province yet. Bummer.

orangeblossom (03-09-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Not XJS related, but, interesting and could apply. I just received a bill from Progressive for my motorhome. My premium went up almost $700 this year because I called and had my ex-wife removed as a driver. The answer I got is that I am now single and this is what happens if you're not married. I was pissed at first and then started thinking, the same would apply if she had died instead of divorced. I also got to thinking about other single guys who pay excessively high premiums simply because they have chosen not to get married. This also brings up the gay aspect. A gay man can't get married, in most states, and due to no fault of his own he would be penalized for not being married.

I guess I should start hitting the singles bars, running wild and being irresponsible I am after all, only 62. Better get to the rest home and check out the hotties!!

Yes, I am shopping for insurance!!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Terry
Not XJS related, but, interesting and could apply. I just received a bill from Progressive for my motorhome. My premium went up almost $700 this year because I called and had my ex-wife removed as a driver. The answer I got is that I am now single and this is what happens if you're not married. I was pissed at first and then started thinking, the same would apply if she had died instead of divorced. I also got to thinking about other single guys who pay excessively high premiums simply because they have chosen not to get married. This also brings up the gay aspect. A gay man can't get married, in most states, and due to no fault of his own he would be penalized for not being married.

I guess I should start hitting the singles bars, running wild and being irresponsible I am after all, only 62. Better get to the rest home and check out the hotties!!

Yes, I am shopping for insurance!!
So which is cheaper, Insurance or getting divorced?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by gregh
When I bought my '89 XJS a year ago, and being in Canada I was fearful the "Exotic" nature of the car going to cost me a fortune to unsure properly. The previous owners had faithfully had the car appraised by an independant appraisal firm, and the certificates still show an appraised value of $24,500.00 plus 13%HST, hard to believe. When I showed this to my insurance lady, she said she would cover that value against total loss if I paid the premium accordingly, of $900.00 -Second option would be to have the car valued at high Red Book value, which was $13,400.00, costing me $520.00 with full coverage. -I chose that option. I will still be getting the car appraised this spring, just to maintain this record, just in case.
Big mistake. Take it from me. Any type of accident will force them to total the car anyways.

Save your money.

Full coverage? Why?

Theft? If you insist.

Collision, waste of time. When someone rear ends you the other insurance company will also deduct your deductible for collision if you have it, making it even worse if you do happen to get into an accident! Either way you'll have the car totaled.

No matter what the insurance company tells you, it will be totaled. You'll be sitting with a $13k check looking for a replacement car, or you'll get $11k back and a salvage title, then start looking for parts.

I went through this whole thing on a 1996 XJS. Insurance did appraise it at $10,200, but they totaled the car when someone hit me from behind trashing my rear bumper, trunk lid and left rear quarterpanel and left tail lights. The right rear quarterpanel was certainly repairable (minor bend) and no damage to any other reflectors or lights. Strange.

Axles were fine. Still drove fine. No glass broken. No airbag deployment.

Anyways, totaled. End of story. Don't get into any accidents.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
So which is cheaper, Insurance or getting divorced?

The price of both just went up! Divorces are expensive because they are worth it. Insurance is expensive because you can't be without it.

Still shopping!

Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

all the old guys will have the advantage here...21 years and 68 dollars

Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah, think I'm paying $60 / month full coverage in Houston - never even looked into collector / classic rates.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll throw in here as I've been in the insurance business over 30 years - I don't think it's really worth buying comp and collison on the XJS unless you get what is known as an Agreed Amount Endorsement stating the value they agree to pay if it is a total loss (whether constructive total or total). As mentioned earlier they'll look in the blue book for value and they are very quick to declare a partially damaged car a constructive total loss which means they believe it costs more to fix than it's worth. Otherwise you'll get the "like kind and value" or " actual cash value" settlement amounts and you'll come up short everytime.

Whether you want to pay for the Agreed Amount Endorsement (I believe Haggerty does offer it but most standard lines carriers won't) is up to you, but I see no reason to lock in a loss (the premium for the endorsement - which can be steep) when in all probability if you have a weekend driver that sits most of the time nothing will happen if you're vaguely careful.

I would encourage you to carry adequate liability limits - equal to the amount of money / assets you have to protect.

orangeblossom (03-22-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Insured mine last month. I thought I got a good deal at £166 for 1500 miles from Lancaster but now.....???????

orangeblossom (03-29-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile XKR insurance

I am new to the forum, having just bought a 2002 XKR convertible as an 80th birthday present to myself, partly through reading the posts in this forum, but mainly because the car is so beautiful!

I live abroad half the year, so what I really want is a six month insurance, leaving the car locked away on SORN for the winter months. The cheapest I have been able to find on the price comparison websites is just under £500, and they were not interested in anything less than 12 months. It seems a lot for a car which will only come out when the sun is shining, and an annual mileage of less than 3000 (I have a little Yaris as a runabout.)
There must be many members who take their cars off the road in winter. Can anyone offer me any advice?
Many thanks, and if I am on the wrong forum, please advise!

Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mikecsboats
I am new to the forum, having just bought a 2002 XKR convertible as an 80th birthday present to myself, partly through reading the posts in this forum, but mainly because the car is so beautiful!

I live abroad half the year, so what I really want is a six month insurance, leaving the car locked away on SORN for the winter months. The cheapest I have been able to find on the price comparison websites is just under £500, and they were not interested in anything less than 12 months. It seems a lot for a car which will only come out when the sun is shining, and an annual mileage of less than 3000 (I have a little Yaris as a runabout.)
There must be many members who take their cars off the road in winter. Can anyone offer me any advice?
Many thanks, and if I am on the wrong forum, please advise!
Hi Mike

Although you probably posted on the wrong forum, as this one is all to do with the XJS.

I used to have a very similar problem and in my own experience, insurance companies don't like giving refunds if they can help it.

And like yourself I hate wasting money to insure a Car that I use for just a few months of the year.

So what I 'used' to do was insure my Jag and then when I was ready, transfer the Jag insurance onto my regular car, as a lot of insurance companies will allow you to do this without penalty (but you need to check)

In doing so I was aware that my Jag was no longer insured but as I made sure that stealing it was going to be an almost impossible problem, I was'nt really worried on that score.

But even better my lovely insurance company offered to keep fire and theft on my Jag for Free! while it was laid up.

Having said that my XJS Insurance is now so unbelievably cheap: circa £100 PA fully comp, protected bonus, 9,995 miles per year that I no longer bother and just let it build another brick on my no claims bonus.

The reason being that even in Autumn and Winter, a fantastically hot summer day can literally come out of nowhere, in which case I can jump in the Jag and have a great day out.

mikecsboats (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Orangeblossom,
Thanks for that - I thought that would probably be the case. I think I will have to bite the bullet, and see what I can get back when I leave the UK again, in November. Might I ask who your insurance company is? Love your pictures, and I will find the right forum next time.
Regards Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who has got the cheapest XJS Insurance?