XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wiring Diagrams 1992 XJS V12 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wiring Diagrams 1992 XJS V12 Convertible

Hi all
I just joined this Forum and already very impressed by its contents.
I purchased my car a few months back and it is quite solid, no major issues.
Only electrical stuff that needs sorting out, the worst of which is the rear windows that do not operate and the ABS which is also not working.
I tried searching the Forum but without success.
Do we have wiring diagrams for this car here?
If not, can anyone point me to any dealer that I can order such diagrams from?

Thank you for any help.
Cheers

Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Go to alldatadiy.com
All the wiring diagrams are there for a reasonable price. It's around $30.00 / yr. to subscribe and you can print off as much as you like.

The following users liked this post:
Challenger (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Farouk,

Someone here may give you access to a wiring diagram but I strongly suggest that if you're running an XJS, you need to buy the Jaguar Parts & Service Manual which also includes all the wiring diagrams as well. Jaguar's Heritage division have recently introduced a new DVD that covers all XJS variants and it also works properly on a Mac. The old DVD that is applicable to a 92 XJS convertible might still be available and is JHM1143, but they might not have any stock. Also be aware that the old DVDs are not fully compatible with a Mac. See here:

Jaguar Heritage. Technical Publications

As regards your rear window problems: Is the hood going up and down even though the rear windows aren't working?

Re: your ABS, if the ABS light is on (as opposed to just the Brake Warning Light) there are a number of reasons as to what could be the problem. The ABS brake section of the Service Manual will be of far more relevance than the wiring diagram.

Paul

Challenger (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 10:00 AM

Thanks Paul for your good advice. I logged onto their website and already sent in an inquiry.
The hood is going up and down normally, and I had a peek at the rear windows by removing the side cover, they are completely disconnected. So I figured let me get the diagrams before messing around.
Yes ABS may be a different thing altogether as every time I step on the brake, the brake light comes on and immediately after that the ABS light comes on too, then they both go off. I tried slapping the brakes and the tyres skid, meaning no ABS.
So lets see what the DVD can offer to help.

Thanks again buddy.
Cheers

Old 08-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Farouk,

The rear windows each have separate UP and DOWN relays. there's 6 relays in all, including the 2 for the hood UP and DOWN.

Pressing the hood switch down sends a signal to the hood ecu. Assuming the conditions are met (Ignition on, Transmission in Park or Neutral, Handbrake Switch on) then it sends an output signal to the hood and to the window circuits. So press the hood down switch and check for output voltage from the 2 window DOWN relays. When putting the hood up, there is an 8-second delay before the window UP relays are energised.

As regards brakes, the system is complex! There is a pump and accumulator. If the accumulator doesn't reach or hold pressure within limits, the ABS will illuminate and disable the ABS. When you first turn the ignition on, check that the pump starts up and cuts out within 40 seconds as the accumulator reaches pressure.

Good luck

Paul

Challenger (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 02:30 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts
Challenger (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Paul !!! You are God Send )
The best gift I have received in quite a while lol
Thanks ever so much for your advice and the wiring diagram.
I already downloaded it and sent it to the printer to make me a hard copy, makes life easier.
I will have a go at my car when it gets back from the paint shop.
Previous owner banged the driver's door in a manner as if the door was open and something hit it from the rear end. It is swollen from the inside, plus the back edge of it is also bent. They filled it up with filler and added shims to the door so it closes well !!
Once that is corrected and door painted, I can get on with the rest.
My sec just got back whilst I was typing, and gave me the printed Wiring diagram all well and set in a booklet form.
Either she is fast or me slow on the keyboard )

Thanks again buddy, and have a wonderful week end.
Cheers
Farouk

Old 08-07-2015, 09:22 AM
JLG
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello...

I have found this site to be a good one re needed documents (you can pick and choose what you want): https://www.jagdocs.com

Also: re the rear window issue (I have the same car you have.) - I found that my right (passenger) rear window motor was simply "frozen" due to lack of use by the PO. A light tapping with a small hammer fixed it! The gear cover plate may be off as well? This issue is well described in posts found on this site. Basically, a particular rubber piece (bushing) in the gearing system works its way out and pops the cover off. My motor/gear box works fine now even though the cover came off (the bushing was left in as it still does its job - I recall that some folks remove it entirely?). I simply lubed it up (ample grease in the gearing system and silicone spray wherever I found moving parts in the motor compartment) and put everything back together. Hope it holds up! - but, it does work very well now.

Best wishes...

Challenger (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 09:34 AM

Thanks a bunch JLC, very useful site.
On the windows, I believe mine are stuck due to lack of use.
But as I said in a previous post, as I was having a new sound system being installed, they had to remove to rear side covers, that cover the rear windows and I saw the wires actually disconnected.
I connected the window motor directly to the battery and all I got were a few sparks.
So I bet I will need to open the motors and clean/lubricate them when I get my car from the paint shop.
Thanks again for your contribution
Cheers
Farouk

Old 08-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JLG
Hello...

I have found this site to be a good one re needed documents (you can pick and choose what you want): https://www.jagdocs.com

Best wishes...
Thank you JLG , I usually find XJS manuals in PDF format available free via Google Search, so only rarely consider paying for them unless I can't find on a free site

PS you're welcome Farouk

Last edited by Paul_59; 08-08-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Farouk

If the Brake light Starts to come on, the Chances are you 'may' have Braking on the Front Wheels Only!

From Brake Fluid being Pumped by the Pedal of the Actuator, as opposed to Fluid being Pressurized by the Pump.

Maybe the Accumulator (The Black Ball on the Pump) may have lost pressure and need replacing.

Do Not try and unscrew the Ball, as it is under high pressure! and you could 'kill yourself'

Get the Brakes Fixed ASAP, as Braking on the Front Wheels only, is just a built in Safety device, to prevent you from having No Brakes!

If the Accumulator 'Black Ball' has lost pressure, this could also trigger the ABS Light.