XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS HeadLight & TailLight Conversion Kits Needed ( INFO )

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Headlight conversion

Hi, I did just the opposite, but may help. My 95 XJS had the Euro headlights, which I hated, and very poor light quality. I switched to the quad lights from an 89, and the lighting quality was much improved, can actually see the road ahead at night now. To replace your quad lights to the Euro lights would probably be a direct fit, since it is the other way around. The wiring is all the same color codes, just the connections are different, so you would probably, either wire direct, or, as I did, use male and female spade connectors. You will have an extra wire, a tiny red wire on the Euro lights, for a small light. I think its a small parking light. You won't have that on your car, so probably no big deal. If your lights are dim, you may just need new lamps. If you really want to get rid of the quad lights, I'm sure there are plenty of owners on this site as well as jag-lovers.org that would trade even with you. Going from the Euro lights to the quad lights is a very poplar conversion. In Europe, the Euro lights have always been the standard, even on the older XJS's, so it would be a proper conversion, if you really want to make your car ugly! ) Of course thats my opinion only, don't want to make anyone mad! As far as the tail lights, can't help, but check out all the classifieds on this site as well as any having to do with Jaguars, and look for cars that are being parted out, may just have the lights in good condition. Good luck with your project, and I'll be glad to help if you need any more advise.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of your car!

Originally Posted by Keith
Hi, I did just the opposite, but may help. My 95 XJS had the Euro headlights, which I hated, and very poor light quality. I switched to the quad lights from an 89, and the lighting quality was much improved, can actually see the road ahead at night now. To replace your quad lights to the Euro lights would probably be a direct fit, since it is the other way around. The wiring is all the same color codes, just the connections are different, so you would probably, either wire direct, or, as I did, use male and female spade connectors. You will have an extra wire, a tiny red wire on the Euro lights, for a small light. I think its a small parking light. You won't have that on your car, so probably no big deal. If your lights are dim, you may just need new lamps. If you really want to get rid of the quad lights, I'm sure there are plenty of owners on this site as well as jag-lovers.org that would trade even with you. Going from the Euro lights to the quad lights is a very poplar conversion. In Europe, the Euro lights have always been the standard, even on the older XJS's, so it would be a proper conversion, if you really want to make your car ugly! ) Of course thats my opinion only, don't want to make anyone mad! As far as the tail lights, can't help, but check out all the classifieds on this site as well as any having to do with Jaguars, and look for cars that are being parted out, may just have the lights in good condition. Good luck with your project, and I'll be glad to help if you need any more advise.
Can i see a picture of your car!? I want to the exact same thing. Replace the euro with Quad lights!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

just wanted to say i got my car with euro lights. They light up perfectly fine. I used to like the Us lights but now they look cheap to me. My mind associates them with big stock tires and Chevy conversions.
All the nicer ones I have ever seen have had euro lights. It looks a little insect like sometimes but i jsut think the american ones look like a cheap afterthought purchased at autozone.

Good luck, try buying them overseas. The trim rings alone here are 100 a piece

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Talking Stock or Custom?

It's like back in the day you bought a model car kit. You could either build it stock custom or track. Stock would be the quad lights and custom the euros. There's evidence that both types can have adequate brightness. You just need to know where to get the proper bulbs for the euros. It really just boils down to taste. One of my friends told me I should have left the quad lights in and I said Whatttt? Are you out of your frikin........./bought my bezels from the factory when they were still selling them...$150. Each Bud

Last edited by buddyluv; 12-17-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by buddyluv
It's like back in the day you bought a model car kit. You could either build it stock custom or track. Stock would be the quad lights and custom the euros. There's evidence that both types can have adequate brightness. You just need to know where to get the proper bulbs for the euros. It really just boils down to taste. One of my friends told me I should have left the quad lights in and I said Whatttt? Are you out of your frikin........./bought my bezels from the factory when they were still selling them...$150. Each Bud
I changed my quads out for the euro too Had a heck of a item finding the right style then finding a pair. One I purchases was perfect. No silver missing inside, bezel trim perfect even rubber sealer on back. Three other lights later and couldn't fing an equal match. Most were missing tons of silver inside which causes the "dull" look. I finally gave up and taped a small sponge on the end of a long rod and used chrome spray paint to touch up the copper showing through. I actually did the same to the good lamp to make them match.
Perfect!
And I added the super bright bulbs.
I'd never go back to those "Christine" quads!!!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,919 Likes on 1,667 Posts

One advantage of having the twin headlights is that you can configure them to have all 4 throwing high beams at the annoying sods coming the other way with their Xenon lights blinding you because you are so low down.

The following users liked this post:
mghirsch (02-18-2023)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
One advantage of having the twin headlights is that you can configure them to have all 4 throwing high beams at the annoying sods coming the other way with their Xenon lights blinding you because you are so low down.
Great idea! A friend did the hid conversion on a 95 xjs and its soooo obnoxious!!
Just floods light everywhere. Don't these idiots realize a convex lense is necessary to focus beam????

Old 02-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Convert facelift XJS to pre-facelift tail lights?

Renewing this thread for the tail light question. Can the pre-facelift tail lights and trunk lift be retrofit on a Facelift XJS?

Old 02-01-2023, 12:43 PM
Received 569 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by amarjr
Renewing this thread for the tail light question. Can the pre-facelift tail lights and trunk lift be retrofit on a Facelift XJS?
Simple answer, no. The rear fenders at the tail lights are totally different. The facelift trunk lid is about an inch longer than the pre-facelift, measured from the front edge of the center of the lid to the rear edge. The contour of the rear edge of the trunk lid is also totally different.
I prefer the looks of the pre-facelift myself, but the rest of the myriad of improvements made to the late cars more than makes up for that for me. I did make the four headlight conversion to my 95, and IMHO looks tons better, and provides better lighting than the awful late US spec headlights.
See photos .

Old 02-02-2023, 12:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. Really appreciate the detail and pics

Old 02-02-2023, 07:36 PM
Received 79 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JakieBear
Hello Guys;
I have a 1989 XJS V12 in low miles Mint Condition, was in storage for 15 years, anyway, all was flushed out and replenshed.
Here is the Moral;
Does anyone know of any Headlight Conversion kits ( Euro Style ) or not !
Any one know of an Upgrade Tail Light kit out there on the Market.

Headlights seem faded out, maybe moisture problem or dust in said,,, anyway there ugly, would like to replace them.

One tail light is cracked, heason for taillights.

Thanks for any help;
JakieBear
you know what they say opinions are like …….., everybody’s got one. Me, I think the quads are soooooo much sexier

Last edited by WatchGuy; 02-02-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

I kept my euro headlights and added LED bulbs which have massively improved my night time driving. No, they will not blind other drivers, the XJS is so low and headlamp lenses do a great job at not dispersing the light im all directions. But if you like the quad look go for it.

Left is the halogen bulb output, right side is the white LED.

I installed a brand named Lucas, out of all names visibility has been improved dramatically. They see me, and I see them

Old 02-12-2023, 05:53 PM
Received 285 Likes on 126 Posts

I like the Euro headlight design on my 1994 XJS but love the quad headlights on my 1983 XJ6.

Brewtech, are these the Lucas LEDs you bought?

L2 Series 5X Brighter $199.95/pr | Lucas Lighting (lucas-lighting.com)

Old 02-13-2023, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
I like the Euro headlight design on my 1994 XJS but love the quad headlights on my 1983 XJ6.

Brewtech, are these the Lucas LEDs you bought?

L2 Series 5X Brighter $199.95/pr | Lucas Lighting (lucas-lighting.com)
those are the ones! I prefer those over the cheap ebay ones since they are very reliable and its what’s being used by the exotic car guys.
I know what you mean. I love the quad lights on my S3 and the Euro lights on my XJS, and I love the fishtanks on my XJ40, although I did install a set of cheap amazon set of LED’s into the wife’s XK and the results were astounding. Im just not sure how long they will last, but its why Im experimenting with inexpensive and more expensive LED set ups.

I know its not an XJS but just an example of how much better LED lighting is compared to halogen or Xenon. The XK is also compliant and not blinding oncoming traffic.

Last edited by Brewtech; 02-13-2023 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:58 PM

My Lucas LEDs just arrived today.

WatchGuy (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome. If your locking rings dont fit exactly, just trim them a bit with Dremel so that they clear. Its a must with the high end bulbs due their robust cooling .

Old 02-18-2023, 06:50 AM

I will start another thread documenting the install and my experience with the bulbs.

Brewtech (02-18-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello folks. I'd like to upgrade the headlights on my '92 XJS. The Lucas LS bulbs look nice. Silly question I'm sure, but can someone tell me what size bulbs I need?

Old 02-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FarmerPete
Hello folks. I'd like to upgrade the headlights on my '92 XJS. The Lucas LS bulbs look nice. Silly question I'm sure, but can someone tell me what size bulbs I need?
9004. I discovered these last night, and may be a simpler and cheaper option than the $200 set.
XJS bulb LED conversion

Quick Reply: XJS HeadLight & TailLight Conversion Kits Needed ( INFO )