XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

xjs member

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default xjs member

Hello everybody..Myname is Martin and i am arecent buyer of a 93 xjs needing a more than a little work. I will do some of the work myself, but other parts of the light restoration i will have to pay for..I have suceeded in sorting out the alarm fault it arrived with, and have cleaned the leather and car to get a feel of the faults on the body. I need a few parts and have been searching Ebay for bits, The handbrake is siezed and the light shows on the instrument panel that the handbrake is on, however the chrome lever lifts and falls like there is no cable connected..I have borrowed a friends jack and stands and plan to have a look this weekend..The discs are inboard any tips on what to be looking for would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: xjs member

The handbrake is designed to drop to the floor after setting so you don't catch your trousers on it as you leave, with unpleasant consequences! To release it, you have to pull it up further whilst pressing the button. Once the button has released the ratchet you can lower the lever (keeping the button pressed) and let the brake off. If there's no more travel left to pull the lever up, then the parking brake needs adjustment, and to release it, you'll have to get at the cable and lever by raising the carpet beside the driver's seat. On the convertible it's easier to remove the seat.
Best to buy a manual from E-bay (CD or paper) if you seriously want to work on your car.
Good luck. Michael.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: xjs member

Thanks Michael.
I will try that in the morning..I had no idea that the handbrake had a special release mech..I have owned 3 series 2 xj6 and 1 series 3 xj6 but this is my first xjs..Love the look of the car and cannot wait to drive it..
Cheers
Martin