XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS - Recommendations

Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJS - Recommendations

Fellow Jag Enthusiasts,

I am in the market for an JXS Coupe. I understand they are a love-hate car, but aren't all the most exciting relationships?

From reading many of your posts, I am convinced that I should buy the best car I can find, which means don't buy the cheapest. I am not a mechanic, don't have time to learn, but I have a Jag mechanic I trust. Still, I want to start with a great car, not buy cheap and hope to fix up. I also read your advice on checking the maintenance records as they are a better indicator of the condition of the car than merely low mileage. So thank you for the head start!

My budget is from $9,500-$12,500 (or more if it is really worth it).

The models range from 1987-1991, various mileage, some very low. One only has 13,000 on it, and the highest is the 79K 1987 where the owner totally restored, high-end paint and engine. The price range is from about $10,000 to a high of $14,500.

- 1987, 79K, $9,900, "restored to Concours condition and exhibited in shows."
- 1991, 32K, $12,000
- 1988 13K, 6-Cylinder, $14,500
- Plus a few more in the 1988-1989 years with low miles.

I know this is very wide open, but what would you all buy if you had my budget, what would you look for, etc.

Also, would you buy an 2000-2001 XK8 instead? Had to ask.

Thanks so much,

Clyde-Dog

1999 XJ8 - 10 years of faithful service, but she gave up the ghost.
Looking for XJS

Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

For that budget, you don't need to compromise at all. I'm a fan of the 89-90.

- the best seats
- no ugly airbag steering wheel
- quad headlamps
- beautiful tail lamps (not a fan of the facelift models at all)

XK8? Never. Not a distinctive looking car; too similar to period vintage Astons & Maseratis. Nothing on the road looks like an XJS.

The following users liked this post:
cdogden (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
cdogden (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
For that budget, you don't need to compromise at all. I'm a fan of the 89-90.

- the best seats
- no ugly airbag steering wheel
- quad headlamps
- beautiful tail lamps (not a fan of the facelift models at all)

XK8? Never. Not a distinctive looking car; too similar to period vintage Astons & Maseratis. Nothing on the road looks like an XJS.

I agree with all of this. However, I've never been disappointed by a car that looked too much like an Aston. If this is the worst that can be said about an XK8, that's some damn fine praise.

Not a huge fan of the facelift models myself, but you'll have an easier time finding one in great shape. With your budget you could literally buy the best XJ-S on the planet, they're that cheap.

cdogden (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I got both, XJS and XKR and they are like different brands.
My XJS is science project, to show my wife that I can follow through with something, but XKR is intoxicating, I simply can't get away from this thing

P.S. My neighbor had 02 DB7 and I thought it had XKR platform, however when I looked at its suspension, it is identical to late XJS 6.0!!!

Attached Thumbnails XJS - Recommendations-48cefa759820be06-large.jpg  
cdogden (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, and how could I forget to mention another of my favorite features: the vertical barrel gauges for secondary instrumentation. Classic.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
I got both, XJS and XKR and they are like different brands.
My XJS is science project, to show my wife that I can follow through with something, but XKR is intoxicating, I simply can't get away from this thing

P.S. My neighbor had 02 DB7 and I thought it had XKR platform, however when I looked at its suspension, it is identical to late XJS 6.0!!!
yeah. ive always wondered why you would buy a DB7 for $120k when you could have a 6.0 XJS thats a few years older for $12k, not to mention better looking.

cdogden (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, by '02 the DB7 was still on the XJS platform? Still, I have to say that Aston Martin are definitely the style leaders now. Everyone is ripping them off, but nobody is even coming close. Lamborghini continues to do the stealth fighter thing that only they can do, Ferraris are garish as ever, and the Maserati interiors look like Fords.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, by '02 the DB7 was still on the XJS platform? Still, I have to say that Aston Martin are definitely the style leaders now. Everyone is ripping them off, but nobody is even coming close. Lamborghini continues to do the stealth fighter thing that only they can do, Ferraris are garish as ever, and the Maserati interiors look like Fords.
once more, the DB7 weighed exactly the same as an XJS.

cdogden (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Default XJS Distinctive

I think I found the right group of Jag lovers! I have to agree with you about the XJS styling. And, it's just personal taste, but I do prefer the quad lighting of the earlier models. I must say, my cheating heart was mightily tempted by the XK8 when I saw one parked at my favorite restaurant a couple of months ago. But alas, it's the XJS I'm bringing home.

I can buy the best XJS on the planet? Now that's a goal worthy of achieving.

I really would like to drive my baby as much as possible. Onto the next question. The V12 screams originality and distinction, which I love. But I keep getting nudged towards the V8. What are your thoughts here?

And, to reiterate, I have a trusted and well-trained Jag mechanic, and it's not me.

Thoughts?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Well, the XJS never came with a V8, only a V12 and an inline 6. Both have pros and cons...

Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

If you're gonna do it, do it right: V12.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

"ive always wondered why you would buy a DB7 for $120k when you could have a 6.0 XJS thats a few years older for $12k, not to mention better looking" I completely agree. It's kinda like trying to make up your mind about dating two different women on the same night. One is mysterious and tempting (DB7) and the other you love (XJS). I've thought about DB7 ownership many times and I always come back to the XJS...

Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger95
I completely agree. It's kinda like trying to make up your mind about dating two different women on the same night. One is mysterious and tempting (DB7) and the other you love (XJS). I've thought about DB7 ownership many times and I always come back to the XJS...
i would love to have one and i think theyre gorgeous. i didnt used to like anything about them, until i realized they were just a dolled up XJS. and once i realized that it was a much worse car than i originally thought, i completely fell in love with it. but i would still rather have an XJS.

back to the OP's question. your wasting your time with a V8. its gonna be much easier to just fix the engine management issues than to do a swap. cheaper too. i finally priced everything i needed to convert to megasquirt last night and it came out to ~ $700.

you might also argue that the V8 is lighter than the V12. well yes, a little. but because the V12 is so much longer than the V8, that means that your SBC is going to have to be moved about 10-12 inches forward to reach the mounts, which is gonna make it front heavy, and you could end up needing a longer driveshaft if your not careful. not to mention a longer throtlle cable, shift linkage etc. also youll need the adapter so that your speedo and rev counter still work. that all costs money too.

and for a less powerful and economical engine? i dont see the point.

one thing that keeps me going is that when you divide the displacement up into 12 cylinders, your improving the volumetric efficiency of the engine. the velocity of intake air that these engines can achieve is staggering. pull the airboxes off at WOT and youll hear what im on about.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

And no one wants a personalized Jaguar when it comes time to sell yours. Most (all) Jaguar owners like the "pure" car. There is a fellow who a few houses down from me who's trying to sell a '96 XJS that has been personalized with a very nice custom paint job (originally BRG now a nice metallic burgundy with rear wing) and bling wheels and tires. He can't sell it. It really is a nice car but folks just don't want a blinged out XJS. I advised him to return the car to it's original configuration and then try to sell.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

the best thing to do with an XJS is keep it or give it away. selling one, no matter what the configuration, is difficult.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

The most expensive items to repair or refurbish on a Jag will be paint, trim, and interior, NOT the engine or trans. The V12 is definitely more complex than a small block Chevy but is not beyond the ability of a shade tree mechanic armed with a good manual and tools.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Here's another peach for you. If you're serious, I'll take a look in person.

Jaguar : XJ XJS HE Jaguar : XJ XJS HE | eBay

If I were in the market, I'd do the following:

- refresh all fluids
- replace fuel injector hoses
- lose the catalytic converters
- throw a wood kit on the ski slope
- dechrome the wheels
- drive the hell out of it

cdogden (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another peach for you. If you're serious, I'll take a look in person.

Jaguar : XJ XJS HE Jaguar : XJ XJS HE | eBay

If I were in the market, I'd do the following:

- refresh all fluids
- replace fuel injector hoses
- lose the catalytic converters
- throw a wood kit on the ski slope
- dechrome the wheels
- drive the hell out of it
They took this pic while driving 55 mph.

cdogden (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 PM

Thanks for clarifying. My mistake on the V8 comment. I confused all the information I read about the V8 conversion with the inline 6. It's settled... I'm going for the V12. I mean, who wants a lion with no teeth or a badger with no claws?

Thanks for the link and offer to check her out, Flint. She's a beauty. But I still have to sell my Jeep to pay for the XJS. I hope to be ready to pull the trigger some time in July. If she's still available, I may take you up on the offer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XJS - Recommendations