XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Xjs upper bushing install ?

Old 11-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xjs upper bushing install ?

Hey guys I am going to be undertaking my first work on the 91 xjs. It is installing some rubber upper shock bushings.

I understand it is pretty straight forward but if someone could list out the steps for me that would be great. I saw a short write up before but I want to make sure I don't miss anything. I.e. Car does need to be jacked up correct?

Also what kinds of jacks do you guys prefer?

Thank you

Old 11-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexv12
Hey guys I am going to be undertaking my first work on the 91 xjs. It is installing some rubber upper shock bushings.

I understand it is pretty straight forward but if someone could list out the steps for me that would be great. I saw a short write up before but I want to make sure I don't miss anything. I.e. Car does need to be jacked up correct?

Also what kinds of jacks do you guys prefer?

Thank you
Hi Alex

Changing the Shock Bushings, is a dead easy job.

(1) Lift up the Bonnet/Hood and locate the Shock Absorbers where they poke through the Body.

(2) Loosen (But not undo at this stage) The Nut on the Top of the Shockers, on Both Sides of the Car.

(3) Jack up the Car and make sure it can't fall, even if the Jack Fails, with Axle Stands or preferably a great big block of wood.

Jack it up under the Front Beam so it doesn't Compress the Springs, then remove one of the Road Wheels.

(4) Support the Spring with a Smaller Jack in order to take the Tension off the Spring.

(5) Undo the Shock Absorber Nut of the Side you are doing making sure the thread on top of the Shock is not under tension by adjusting the smaller jack.

(6) Remove the Nut on the Top of the Shock together with the Washers and the Top Rubber Bush.

(7) Carefully lower the Smaller Jack making sure the Brake Pipe doesn't get stretched as you lower the Spring. (Try not to lower it any more than you have to)

(8) Then reach under the Wheel Arch and get hold of the Top of the Shock Absorber and then pull it down and hold it in that position while a 'mate' removes the bottom Shock Absorber Rubber Bush.

And then replaces the Old One with a New One, including the Cup Washers.

(9) Carefully let the Shock Absorber Expand while feeding the Threaded Stud on the Top through the Hole, using the small Jack under the Spring to Assist.

Then once the Threaded Stud pokes through the Hole in the Body Work, refit the New Top Rubber Bush and Washers on Top of the Shock Absorber and then Refit and Tighten up the Nut.

Be Really, Really Careful when you Jack up the Spring that you don't accidentally punch a hole right through the Body.

(10) Then do the other Side.

The following users liked this post:
rsmcgee (08-05-2021)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Alex

Changing the Shock Bushings, is a dead easy job.

(1) Lift up the Bonnet/Hood and locate the Shock Absorbers where they poke through the Body.

(2) Loosen (But not undo at this stage) The Nut on the Top of the Shockers, on Both Sides of the Car.

(3) Jack up the Car and make sure it can't fall, even if the Jack Fails, with Axle Stands or preferably a great big block of wood.

Jack it up under the Front Beam so it doesn't Compress the Springs, then remove one of the Road Wheels.

(4) Support the Spring with a Smaller Jack in order to take the Tension off the Spring.

(5) Undo the Shock Absorber Nut of the Side you are doing making sure the thread on top of the Shock is not under tension by adjusting the smaller jack.

(6) Remove the Nut on the Top of the Shock together with the Washers and the Top Rubber Bush.

(7) Carefully lower the Smaller Jack making sure the Brake Pipe doesn't get stretched as you lower the Spring. (Try not to lower it any more than you have to)

(8) Then reach under the Wheel Arch and get hold of the Top of the Shock Absorber and then pull it down and hold it in that position while a 'mate' removes the bottom Shock Absorber Rubber Bush.

And then replaces the Old One with a New One, including the Cup Washers.

(9) Carefully let the Shock Absorber Expand while feeding the Threaded Stud on the Top through the Hole, using the small Jack under the Spring to Assist.

Then once the Threaded Stud pokes through the Hole in the Body Work, refit the New Top Rubber Bush and Washers on Top of the Shock Absorber and then Refit and Tighten up the Nut.

Be Really, Really Careful when you Jack up the Spring that you don't accidentally punch a hole right through the Body.

(10) Then do the other Side.
Last ones l did were bilstein on xjrs and from memory after undoing top nut and locknut l simply turned the wheels to full lock, can't remember which way and reached in pulled shock down to replace lower top bush and then guided it back into mounting on expansion, fitted top bush and nuts. Took all of 20 minutes.

Last edited by baxtor; 11-15-2015 at 08:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rsmcgee (08-05-2021)