XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions

Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions

I am in the process of removing my starter, I got the down pipe, and bottom starter bolt removed. I can't seem to find the 12 point 9/16th bolt on top. I'm afraid it might have been sheared off from previous owner. Question... 1. If it was sheared off how do I gain access to remove the starter, 2. I bought a refurbished starter motor but it seems to be the heavy duty one, its much larger in size than the original, also the bottom bolt that I removed from the starter on the car will not fit through the hole on this starter. Any suggestions? Thanks. This is my first post and probaly many more to follow.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 PM

I meant 7/16th top bolt.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

The top bolt is hard to see under the best of circumstances....even worse if buried under caked-on grease and dirt. Clean the area best as you can and have another look.

Are you sure it has the original starter? The starter may have already been changed, thus the smaller size. It is popular to install an aftermarket gear reduction starter which is smaller. Or, Jaguar itself went to a smaller starter on the V12 in later years and that might be what you have.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by mx468
I am in the process of removing my starter, I got the down pipe, and bottom starter bolt removed. I can't seem to find the 12 point 9/16th bolt on top. I'm afraid it might have been sheared off from previous owner. Question... 1. If it was sheared off how do I gain access to remove the starter, 2. I bought a refurbished starter motor but it seems to be the heavy duty one, its much larger in size than the original, also the bottom bolt that I removed from the starter on the car will not fit through the hole on this starter. Any suggestions? Thanks. This is my first post and probaly many more to follow.
Do you mean the bolt will not thread into starter? The bolt should not fit through hole in starter but thread into it from bellhousing side. If the top bolt has been sheared off the starter will be loose with bottom bolt removed.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:25 AM
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have just swapped my original starter with smaller gear reduction starter. The top bolt should original be the same type as the bottom bolt. My spare engine had a gear reduction starter and the top bolt on that one was a 12 point bolt. This starter was also Attached with nuts. I'll Guess the bolt was changed because it was a bit Shorter than the original. (the original bolt touched the starter housing) The New starter from Powerlite had threads and the original bolt also fitted. It made it a little bit easier to get to, when I removed the heat Shield over the exhaust pipe. When you have got it out also check that you have the same size starter pinion. There are some with 29 mm and some with 25 mm starter pinion.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just something different on my stock 88 the bolt was a head size of 7/16 twelve point that was in the curve of the bell housing . there is also a bracket that will hold the wire going to the starter that is connected to that bolt that has a rubber grommet in it to protect wire mine was baked hard so I replaced it. not a very easy job.but is anything on this car easy.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Default Bracket flopping around

Originally Posted by reichstall
Just something different on my stock 88 the bolt was a head size of 7/16 twelve point that was in the curve of the bell housing . there is also a bracket that will hold the wire going to the starter that is connected to that bolt that has a rubber grommet in it to protect wire mine was baked hard so I replaced it. not a very easy job.but is anything on this car easy.
That bracket holding the wire is just flopping around. Attached to nothing. So if worse case scenario the head on the bolt is sheared off, whats my option to access the top bolt? Do I need to get at it through the top of the engine?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Think it is impossible to to get to the bolt from top of the engine. You can drop the engine by removing the rear engine Mount (transmission Mount) . That will make it easier to locate the bolt and remove it. I managed to remove it without this operation. Used a long exstension and a "knee joint" on my pipe.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,045 Likes on 2,026 Posts

I pulled a starter off a V12 out of the car and hanging from an engine crane and it wasn't easy. I couldn't imagine doing it in the car.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Default Finally got it out :)

Ok so I didn't see the pesky 7/16th 12 pt. bolt at first glance because of all the crud, but I finally found it and got the starter out. So the starter I got from ebay is much larger and beefier, has anyone put one of these babies in? If yes I have 1 question. How do I attach the top 2 starter wires to this starter? Where there was a screw on the old starter, the new starter doesn't have one, but instead a spade coming off a weld?
See pics.

Attached Thumbnails XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions-img_9635.jpg   XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions-img_9636.jpg   XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions-img_9637.jpg   XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions-img_9641.jpg   XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions-sidebyside.jpg  

Old 08-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

You'll have to change the connector at the end of the wire. Somewhat common when replacing starters.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes same thing when I had the motor out I had to add a spade connector good job getting out and yes those wires are a bear to connect with motor still in car don't forget to replace grommet if it is dry cracked on wire flange bracket

Old 08-05-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
You'll have to change the connector at the end of the wire. Somewhat common when replacing starters.

Cheers
DD
Hey Doug have you ever seen a xjs jag starter motor this big used before? I got the motor off ebay and it says its compatible with my 1986 xjs. Also when I put the new motor in, do I need to worry about anything? Just insert and line up the screw holes and insert bolts? Right? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by reichstall
yes same thing when I had the motor out I had to add a spade connector good job getting out and yes those wires are a bear to connect with motor still in car don't forget to replace grommet if it is dry cracked on wire flange bracket
Ok so I didn't see the pesky 7/16th 12 pt. bolt at first glance because of all the crud, but I finally found it and got the starter out. So the starter I got from ebay is much larger and beefier, has anyone put one of these babies in? If yes I have 1 question. How do I attach the top 2 starter wires to this starter? Where there was a screw on the old starter, the new starter doesn't have one, but instead a spade coming off a weld?
See pics.
That looks like it might be the early model starter. Not sure what the changeover point was but the change was made to the more compact unit. Make sure you check the pinions for any possible differences.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Doug have you ever seen a xjs jag starter motor this big used before?
The early style V12 starter was one big mama. It's been years since I dealt with one but what I see in your pics looks about right, size-wise, going from memory. My present V12 has the later, smaller version.

. Also when I put the new motor in, do I need to worry about anything? Just insert and line up the screw holes and insert bolts? Right? Thanks.
The bigger and smaller starters are interchangeable so, yeah, just bolt her up.

If there's lingering doubt as to whether or not your new starter is indeed a Jag V12 starter then you'll have to measure (or at least carefully eyeball) the position of the little pinion gear relative to the old starter. Envision the starter bolted in place and the position relative to the flywheel. Does it like the pinion gear would engage the flywheel?

Cheers
DD

Old 08-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,045 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Hey Doug have you ever seen a xjs jag starter motor this big used before?
I pulled one from a Canadian VDP V12 sedan and it looked just like your big one. Also works on a 4.2 XK engine, I put it into a friends 1970 E Type and it worked just fine, same part number as the 4.2 starter.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:46 AM

So basically I cut off the eyelet off the wire and add a spade that fits onto this giantic mama starter. I will be tackling this job tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Default Last wire question

Ok I have the starter in and just need to bolt up the down pipes. Last question, the 2 big wires connect on the big bolt, right, on top of each other? I can't seem to remember if they did when I took out the old starter. See pic. And the smaller 10 guage wire now has a spade on it and is connected to the spade on the starter.

Attached Thumbnails XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions-starter.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Yes and yes

Cheers
DD

Old 08-07-2016, 05:24 PM

Finished about 5 minutes ago and she started right up, thanks for the advice and tips. This forum rocks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XJS V12 1986 Starter Questions