XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

07-09 XK Reliability Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07-09 XK Reliability Question

I've never owned a Jag (not yet, that is!), and my understanding (from what I've read and past experiences of friends) is that older models have had some issues with reliability. I'm looking for a 2007-2009 XK and am curious about how reliable they are and the cost of ownership -- both in terms of cost and frequency of maintenance.

How does reliability and cost of maintenance compare to, say, higher end BMWs and Mercedes?

For Mercedes and BMW, I like to make sure the cars are under a factory or extended warranty. Is this a good idea for the XKs?

Thank you in advance.

The following users liked this post:
Dawn Ellen (04-03-2018)
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Have you ruled out the possibility of the updated 2010 XK? An extended warranty is worthwhile on all high end cars if you don't want to face the possibility of an unexpectedly high repair bill.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

For me, I think they are easier to maintain than BMW or Mercedes. I just happen to have a Jaguar indy shop walking distance from my house. Part prices are similar and the XK has less gizmo's, so there is less things to break. The aluminum body is a little more fragile and long front nose and front over-hang's are really hard to judge where the front of the car is when parking.

Don't buy a Jag based on reliability ratings, buy it because it looks & drives great, and gives you a feeling that the other two do not. That being said, I'd put the XK on par with any car that competes with it on the top of the reliability list.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Have you ruled out the possibility of the updated 2010 XK? An extended warranty is worthwhile on all high end cars if you don't want to face the possibility of an unexpectedly high repair bill.
Not having been here long, I've noticed how well the members handle weird questions. Other sites I've been on they would have told the guy to take a hike for a question with an obvious answer. But someone always answers and others keep quiet as opposed to a sarcastic reply. I've seen you guys get defensive when your beloved brand is criticized but other than that it's pretty tame around her.

To the op, I don't understand the question unless you're really young. If you have any experience you know any used car purchase should have a warranty. The more the car costs originally, the better/longer the warrany. I would maybe buy a Honda with a 2 year warranty but a Jag? I want it covered for as long as I own it.
I bought a Benz without a warranty many years ago. I spent enough repairing that car to have bought another whole car....in 2 years.
Don't be cheap, purchase a long term warranty....or you'll regret it.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

First, I don't think anyone should even consider purchasing a Jaguar - new or used - without expecting to pay $$$ for repairs, whether its regular maintenance or otherwise. "It's not the purchase, it's the upkeep."

That being said, my '97 Vanden Plas was more reliable than my '07 XK. The '97 never, ever left me stranded. I can't say the same for my '07, and ironically, both were under Ford control at the time of manufacture.

If you're going to buy a Jaguar, get the maintenance records if at all possible. If not, ask where the car was serviced so that you can do some research. There are some known issues with each model, so educate yourself thoroughly so that you can check to make sure a car you're interested in has had the "typical" repairs done.

And yes, an extended warranty is highly recommended ... but expensive.

Good luck!

SinF (09-14-2017)
Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A Quick note on Extended Warrenties

Extended warranties are often mentioned as a very wise option on this board. Keep in mind, however, that from an economic perspective, the value should be questioned.

When you buy an extended warranty your money has to fill four buckets:

1. The commission to the dealership selling the warranty (which is significant)

2. The overhead of the warranty company (they print brochures, have sales reps, claims evaluators, actuaries, etc)

3. Profit for the warranty company (if you review articles about ownership of these companies, at least some of them look like smart money types)

4. The cost to repair your vehicle.

Like every insurance product everywhere, the way it works it that a few people get back more than they paid in while the majority gets back less than they paid in. Yes, of course we can get testimonials from individuals who received way more than they paid in, but logic dictates that they are the exception, not the rule.

The true question for most should be: is the peace of mind I'm buying worth the price? And that has to be weighed against the regret you might feel if you are one of the ones who paid more than you got back, along with any potential comfort (or hassel) that might arise from having a third party involved whenever you need a repair.

Tony

Kevin Hutchison (07-22-2018)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

I had an extended warranty on my VDP and almost broke even on the cost of the warranty and my repair costs. I did not buy an extended warranty on the XK because it has the same engine and improved transmission over the VDP. The engines are quite reliable on the Jag and figured I would keep the money in my pocket this time around.

I would consider an extended warranty if I was going to sell the car at some point. Much safer with lemon laws (at least in MA) to have a warranty behind the car for the first 30 days of new ownership.

My advice, look for a well documented car with good service history and clean CarFax and the car will be as reliable as any. Make sure the AC drain is fixed.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, all, for the responses!

I'm not looking to buy it for reliability. I guess the main thing I'm trying to get a feel for is what brands it compares to in terms of cost of maintenance and how often it's in the shop. For example, I've had a few NSXs that were as bulletproof as any Honda (and, after they went out of warranty, not very expensive to fix when something did go wrong), Mercedes and BMW have been expensive to maintain without warranties but not bad with warranties, for Maserati even basic items were crazy expensive, for Range Rover the damn thing was in the shop way too often. I'm trying to figure out where the Jag falls in the spectrum, and I appreciate the responses.

Bruce H, yes, I'd consider a 2010.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Parts costs of Jag vs the German brands are a little bit easier on the wallet. And, in the FWIW department, I didn't get the extended warranty. Havebook more or less outlines my reasons why I didn't get it -- they have to make money on those, so for every person for whom it pays off, there are going to be 2 (or more) who don't or they won't be in business long.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

2010+ may require more dealer based service than the 07-09 due to the engine change. I know my indy shop hasn't seen much if any of 5.0 engine. Not saying they can't fix it, but the 4.2's they can do with their eye's closed.

My opinion is that you'll be able to do more servicing without needed the dealer on a Jag than BMW or Mercedes, but there are more german car specialty shops than there are British car shops.

Jag's are solid and reading that you've owned NSX's, you appreciate the fine details like double wishbones used in the Jag or just the general setup underneath. Jag really created something special with XK and I think it will be very sought after like the Supra or NSX for a track car.

Kevin Hutchison (07-22-2018)
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I had an '05 XK with the same drive-train for 3 years and not a single issue with it. I have my '08 for well over a year now and the only issue was a reflash of the ECU due to a check-engine-light. Nothing was wrong mechanically.

It is a car with the certified warranty. While I agree that purchasing an extended warranty might not pay but, I would buy it just for my state of mind.

Albert

Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread ...

I'm looking to purchase a XK. I like the 03 & 04 body style & also the 07+.

Any recommendations or thought for or against either?

What about trunk space? it is a GT & I'd like to take it through the mountains, top down.
XK vs XKR pros and cons.

Dawn Ellen (04-03-2018)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Although some think the X100 has better looks, most will tell you that the X150 is a better all around vehicle. The all aluminium (after all it is a Brit) frame and body yields much more stiffness. If you were to get 07-09 you would be acquiring a 4.2L engine and if you get a 10+ you would then be getting a 5.0L engine. Suggest you utilize the search box in the upper right hand corner of this page to look for various issues with either model.

Four things will jump out. keeping the battery on a maintainer unless your car is going to be a daily driver, there tends to be waterpump issues particularly with the early 5.0L engines. The condensate outlet pipe tends to get clogged forcing water back up into the passenger side of the car sometimes flooding and shorting out the blower motor and lastly the upper part of the leather on the dash tends to pull out and balloon up after a while if exposed to a lot of very warm days. That being said there are fixes for all of the issues I have mentioned above in various threads.

I would also recommend that you get a pre-purchase inspection from a Jaguar dealer and a jaguar approved body shop. Total cost should not exceed $500-600. Good luck and good hunting.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
Dawn Ellen (04-03-2018), Sean W (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,134 Likes on 3,380 Posts
Default X100 or X150 4.2L Reliability

X100 (XK8) and 2007-2009 X150 models have virtually identical 4.2L V8 engines. That's where the similarity ends. The earlier X100 series is steel, whereas the X150 series is all aluminum. Read the online road tests for performance comparisons when new.

You are considering cars that are now more than 10 years old, so generalizations that applied when they were new no longer apply. You are responsible for doing your due diligence before agreeing to buy any car. Time takes its toll, and rubber parts deteriorate even on low mileage cars. Ownership, location and maintenance histories are important and a "clean" CarFax report may be worthless because they report only what is reported to them and there is a time lag before recent events get posted, such a flood or other damage. A Pre Purchase Inspection from a Jaguar dealer is a worthwhile investment because it will tell you what repairs need to be done. Reliability will depend on how the car was driven and maintained by the previous owners.

The most common 2007-2009 trouble spots include the AC drain hose (duckbill), leather dash shrinkage, convertible top rear glass delaminating, and electrical gremlins caused by a low battery (easily remedied with a CTEK battery maintainer). Overall, the X150 is much more reliable and less costly to maintain than other similar high-end grand touring cars from BMW, Mercedes, Maserati, Aston Martin and Porsche.

Generally speaking, the later the model year the better because of bug fixes and new features. For example, integrated iPod connectivity first became available as standard equipment with the 2009 model year. Some colors and options are rare, such as the Portfolio package, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Alcon Performance Brakes.

There is a big difference in performance between the 300HP XK and the 420HP XKR. Which model floats your boat depends on your need for speed. Drive them all and decide for yourself.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Dawn Ellen (04-03-2018), MediaBobNY (10-13-2019), Sean W (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

I am 6' 2". The x100 I put the front seat into contact with the rear seat; and I am still "a tight it".

Depending on your size, the X150 may come out a clear winner. I really love the full wood paneled dash of the X150, and the fender lines on the front hood are much more beautiful in how they flow together instead of being squared off.

For me, as I was shopping for a daily driver, the X150 was a clear winner. As a fun "second car" take whichever gets your fancy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tervuren:
Queen and Country (09-13-2017), Sean W (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the info.
I thinking this will be a "second" car. But likely will drive it often and park the truck.
I like the Red, Blue and Green. I really like the British racing green.
Those seem hard to come by.
I've only test drove a 2002 XK. It seemed low on power.
I'm planning on taking a 2011 XK for a test drive tomorrow.

I'm thinking that a 4.2 XK should be fine for power. A 5.0 XK would be better. A 4.2 XKR a bit better and a 5.0 XKR probably too much power. A 4.2 XK perhaps may be better in the ticket department!
Does that make sense?

I'm looking at an '07 XK in green. Its out of state and a private seller. Looks like only one Jag dealer in Phoenix. All servicing has been done at that dealer.
Is there issues with having an inspection done at same place? Options?
How do I go about having the car vetted out?

Is it fine to do most of my own servicing? Or best to just take it to the Jag dealer every year?
Is the "duckbill" need to be checked or cleaned often? Does Houston humidity keep it flushed out?

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

There is no such thing as "Too Much Power", unless you wear a skirt.
Agree with the X100s too wimpy, especially the XK8s. That was one reason I grabbed a 5.0 //R.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:39 PM

lol, I agree with the "too much power". Although a top fuel dragster with 10,000 hp is definitely too much for me!
Since, I'm looking at an older car, are XKRs driven harder. So an XK maybe better from this perspective, but I don't know.

Also what questions should I ask the seller? This will be my first Jag.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Most here have already heard, (and are tired of) my spiel, but I'll offer it once again.
As the owner of both an 07 XK, and a 2010 XKR, I like to believe I have a broader view than those that have only owned one or the other X150.

In my opinion (I'm a skilled mechanic, and have maintained my own cars for 45 years), the 4.2l engine is by far the more reliable motor. Only because it has been on the market for nearly 2 decades. It is well sorted out, uses older 'tried and true' technology (at the sacrifice of HP) and parts can be cheaper and more readily found thanks to it's long production run.

When you add the 'R' factor, you get some serious fun, but it comes at a cost.
Regardless of motor, The XK, is a soft, and supple chassis. It glides over bumps as if they don't exist. The XKR has a significantly more rigid chassis, and can not only jar the fillings from your teeth, but demand a more focused driving posture. It certainly is more exhausting on distance runs.

Again, in my opinion:
If your looking for a GT car with comfort, I recommend you look at a 2010 or newer XK.( The 5.0l is not overly stressed in the NA configuration, although additional annual maintenance is recommended due to the more modern fuel delivery system.)

If your looking to add fun, at the cost comfort, the 4.2 Supercharged still earns respect, is more than capable in the corners, and weighs more heavily on the reliability side.

---------------------------------------------------
Odd differences I really miss while driving my 2010:
07-09 had fog lights, '10 and up do not.
07-09 had a standard shift lever, the '10 and newer has the silly pop up hockey puck... (yuck)
The 4.2l exhaust note is a true 'growl' while the 5.0 sounds exactly like every Mustang out there.
The 2010 also has too much 'shiny' chrome bling in the cabin. Sun glare is constantly distracting you. I have had to hold my arm in specific positions while driving, just to keep the reflections out of my eyes. The 07-09 uses more matte, or even black finish...so it was never an issue.

Gains that I like on the 2010 and up:
Cooled seats... Wow are they nice... (BTW both my Jags have heated steering wheels).
Horse power... (300 leap to 510.... Nuff said)

Peace!
Vince

The following 8 users liked this post by CleverName:
barnsie (09-05-2020), Dawn Ellen (04-03-2018), dpage (05-26-2018), elindo (09-18-2017), MediaBobNY (10-13-2019), Panthro (09-06-2018), SinF (09-14-2017), The Hangout (02-24-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:55 AM

Thank you CleverName!
Sounds like I need 2 XKs :^)!

How difficult is it to convert a 2007 XK to Canadian requirements? daytime running lights etc?

Quick Reply: 07-09 XK Reliability Question