XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07 XK Routine / Scheduled Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 XK Routine / Scheduled Maintenance Questions

Hi all - I am the 2nd owner of a 2007 XK that I purchased in 2011 with 28k miles. I just went over 53k miles, and currently put less than 4k a year on it. I've been so darn lucky with this car...I do annual oil changes, but in the 7 years that I've owned it I haven't done any other routine maintenance or major repairs. The brakes and tires were new when I purchased from a Jag dealer (CPO), and the only other investments I've made was an AGM battery which resolved many of my electrical gremlins and a brake light bulb replacement. So my out of pocket over 7 years is less than $500 (yes, that's 2 zeros after the 5). Geeze - I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

On my last oil change last August, the local shop I use recommended a fuel injection service ($194), intake valve cleaning service ($131), brake flush ($125), engine air filter replacement ($81), and cabin air filter replacement ($111). I haven't done any of these yet.

I'm getting ready to go in for my next oil change. So my question for the experts and current owners is should I do any/all of the above recommendations? Or anything else, like a coolant flush or trans service? What would you do if this was your car? The car has treated me so well that I feel like I should be doing something other than just oil changes. But on the other hand, maybe I shouldn't mess with perfection....???

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Eric

Old 07-12-2018, 03:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum Eric,

I also had a 2007 XK for four years and it was the most reliable and troublefree Jaguar I've owned (and there's been a lot!) in more than forty five years.

With the low annual mileage, your XK should be serviced on a TIME basis every 12 Months. Here's the Maintenance Check Sheet:

I would ignore the fuel injection service and intake valve cleaning service. A definite YES to the brake flush, coolant flush, engine air filter replacement and cabin air filter replacement. Although it doesn't appear in the schedules, a fluid and filter change at around 70k miles is known to extend the life of the transmission.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

What he said.....I just had the trans fluid and filter/pan changed on my '12 this spring with 50K on the clock.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

All the above is correct (especially the transmissionfluid change) - the services suggested to you are money-makers for the shop, but not entirely necessary - and the air filter and the cabin filter can be replaced by you - the cabin filter takes perhaps 5 minutes if you are slow!. The engine air filter is only slightly more complicated (because it is in the front wheel well), but again, easily done by anyone who can handle a screwdriver.
You experience of reliability with the XK is not in any way unusual. They are wonderful (as well as beautiful) cars. The one thing that is necessary is to keep the battery fully charged to avoid random electronic issues.Once you know that, ownership is a joy - but that is common to all modern Jaguars.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

With Lotus and Aston, brake fluid changes are done annually, so yes... do the brake fluid for sure if it's not been done. You will notice a difference. You may be able to do the air and cabin filters yourself, but at that mileage I would change them. Transmission pan/filter/fluid service should be considered ahead the injector/valve cleaning for similar money out of pocket. The coolant should be done as well.

For now, I would run a bottle Techron through the car instead of the valve and injector service. Mix the Techon on richer side of the directions.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

+1 on the great advice from all above.

If you change the coolant, replace the water outlet, which contains the thermostat as it can only endure a finite number of cold/hot cycles before failing. Use DEXCOOL as the replacement coolant as it meets Jaguar specifications.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Much appreciated!